Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-11, 07:53 PM   #1
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Wow

and just when I crawled out from under the desk and turned my lights on...
the company I've been working for for 35+ years terminated (or retired) me today in another round of downsizing. I thought from the previous waves, I dodged the bullet but they had the last laugh.
It seems surreal and I'm numb. I didn't really plan on this, I just lived with the fear, one day invincible, the next vulnerable. Oh well, what's done is done...what will be will be...it is what it is (is there any other cliche I might use here!)

Ya know, you invest over 35 years working hard to make a company a success and one day, your just done. Stinkers!
Old 07-12-11, 08:27 PM   #2
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
and just when I crawled out from under the desk and turned my lights on...
the company I've been working for for 35+ years terminated (or retired) me today in another round of downsizing. I thought from the previous waves, I dodged the bullet but they had the last laugh.
It seems surreal and I'm numb. I didn't really plan on this, I just lived with the fear, one day invincible, the next vulnerable. Oh well, what's done is done...what will be will be...it is what it is (is there any other cliche I might use here!)

Ya know, you invest over 35 years working hard to make a company a success and one day, your just done. Stinkers!
Yes, keep your head up. Start digging you'll find something. Your loyalty should speak volumes.
Old 07-12-11, 08:38 PM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

IT is a rough field. Sucks to hear, man. Unfortunately, New York's "chickens are coming home....to roost." And a lot of other people are going to get hit too.
Old 07-12-11, 09:35 PM   #4
bamabassman

so sorry man. i jsut want to get 12 more years in and i am calling it quits. hopefully oyu can find another job, if that is what you need to do. if not, think of all the free fishing time oyu got now pal. again, i really am sorry man.

i am waiting for it myself. i work for a local ity, and all we hear is "we gotta cut back", gets tiresome. either do it and let us move on, or stop talking aobut it.
Old 07-12-11, 09:40 PM   #5
Bassboss

Sorry to hear that AD. It tough problems don't make tough times easier. You'll pull through I'm sure though. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Old 07-13-11, 01:27 AM   #6
carolina-rig-01

Man I am sorry to hear this. It suprises me that your company had another layoff, I mean CNN tells us that the economy is getting better . Hang in there, you will find something that will make you happy.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 02:02 PM   #7
Captmikestarrett

So I take it you where not ready to retire?

35 years should get a nice separation package..

Some of the most interesting people I ever met where retired and still figuring what they want to do for living.

My suggestion is think of it as an opportunity to do those things that work got in the way of. Next thing you know you will getting paid to have fun..

Travel / build something / fix something / and start each day a plan that is flexable..

Capt Mike
Old 07-14-11, 10:20 PM   #8
Abbeysdad

Thanks guys.
Yes I got a 'package' that gives me some time, but sadly, not enough to really retire.
The pension I'll get likely won't even cover the difference in income if I get a new job starting over somewhere tomorrow...and I still have a few years before I'm eligible for any SS draw....assuming there is any SS then!
I got a mortgage and a teenage daughter on the honor role that will likely want to got to college~
I shouldv'e had a better plan and scrimped more along the way - like I was living like a king...NOT - jeez.
Old 07-14-11, 11:13 PM   #9
WatterBoy

Wow, that really stinks, AD! Sorry to hear that. Hope you find something else real soon!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-11, 11:24 AM   #10
Abbeysdad

Well just a bit of an update. I've been busy on home projects as Mike said, 'doing those things work got in the way of'. Took a small trip up North.
I've created a resume and polished it as much as can be done. Been looking real casual like, but nothing jumps out in my area and I really don't want to move. I have time and don't really want to deliver pizzas, be a WM greeter or be saying 'would you like fries with that'!
I have time.
At times, my mind still wanders and I wonder if this really happened after all these years. Then I snap back to reality.
I'm wondering if I really want to stay in this IT field.
I'm pretty handy - built my own home, maybe a trade or flipping houses. I was a cook in a past life, maybe open a restaurant.
Better still, win the lottery and just kick back ;-)
Old 08-25-11, 12:24 PM   #11
bassboogieman

Investing 35 years of your life with one company and have them pull the rug out from under you - TOTALLY SUCKS - and I am sorry to hear of your situation. We all "know" age discrimination is "illegal", but I'm willing to bet you get a taste of it when if you start looking to be hired on in an established business. If you look for a job as an "employee" and not running your own business, stay in your field where your experience will be a plus. Changing fields in your mid-50's, as an "employee", will be more difficult and likely not as lucrative. BEST OF LUCK!!! to you with your decision on which path to follow.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.