Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-08, 09:34 AM   #1
Fathead
BassFishin.Com Member

Default braid on a baitcaster?

Alright a question for you guys, i love braided line i use it on all my spinnin reels but i just went and picked up a new baitcaster the other day and i spooled it up with my favorite powerpro and made 2 cast, the first cast being kind of rough and the second locking it in a undoable knot, so i had to cut off the whole brand new spool....should i just keep it real with mono or could the accident been my fault? could it have been i spooled too much line? or any other problems?
Fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 09:38 AM   #2
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

new braid on a baitcaster can be a pain in the arse! Make sure you put a mono backing on first and be sure to get that braid on there tight or else you will have backlash issues, that is more than likely what's going on..
Old 05-21-08, 09:46 AM   #3
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i have power pro 30lb on both of my baitcasters and haven't had a prolem with backlash yet last time i went out it was damn windy to . just play with the brake and drag until you have it set for the line and you should be good . then again my friend has the same reel and line i do and spent most of the day fixing his reel .
Old 05-21-08, 09:58 AM   #4
tnfisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i put braid on one of my baitcaster , here and there it will get a knot but that is mine fault, it should work great
tnfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 10:27 AM   #5
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I backlash less with braid on my baitcasters. I use powerpro. Theres a fair chance you could have put too much on it.

Whenever you change a setting or line on a baitcaster, its probably better in general to not make the next and first cast an all out balls to the wall throw - just cast it conservativly, lightly to see what the new parameters of the reel are. Once you have cast conservativly a few times just to get a feel for the reel, your thumb has a better chance of reacting to whatever the baitcaster is doing. Sometimes you will find that you have tighten the cast control knob a little or do other things before you are casting all out.
Old 05-21-08, 03:27 PM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I get less back lash on my baitcasters with braid also, the worst for me is fluorocarbon. When you spool it up next time with briad, pull of a couple long casts and put a piece of tape on it. this keeps the line from backlashing too bad. I also think backlashes are easier to get out of braid, and it won't damage the line like it could with mono and especially fluoro.

BB
Old 05-21-08, 03:56 PM   #7
Bob Smith

First of all this is a debatable subject because so many folks do it differently.. My way is to spool roughly half the spool with mono for backing and drag disc protection, then the rest with Braid (I am a big Power Pro fan also). I also use the heck out of the Reel Lube or KVD line lube until the braid becomes more supple. Be sure and check your casting brake and balances till you get used to the braid. After a while you will prefer it over Mono in most cases (on all of your reels, both spinning and baitcasters). My other preference is to use a mono or flouro leader on all of my braid filled reels.
Old 05-21-08, 04:12 PM   #8
Jim80

i have yet to spool with a mono backing but i atribute that more to being lazy rather that it's usefullness but on the occasional backlash i have found it much easier to get it out on a braided line rather than a mono , and my baitcasters are not high tier by anymeans .
Old 05-22-08, 11:05 PM   #9
flfireman

All my baitcasters are braided line. Yes new PP will backlash until it gets wet. Like bro Love said. keep it easy and figure out what is to much.
Old 05-24-08, 09:58 AM   #10
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead View Post
Alright a question for you guys, i love braided line i use it on all my spinnin reels but i just went and picked up a new baitcaster the other day and i spooled it up with my favorite powerpro and made 2 cast, the first cast being kind of rough and the second locking it in a undoable knot, so i had to cut off the whole brand new spool....should i just keep it real with mono or could the accident been my fault? could it have been i spooled too much line? or any other problems?
Are you using 20# braid? You didn't mention which one. As a general rule of thumb, the thinner the braid, the greater the potential for line dig with a casting reel.

One of the easiest ways to reduce this line dig is to step up in size. 30# and up.

Also realize that this line dig is the nature of the beast with braid. I use 30# myself and when I keep a few things in mind, I don't encounter line dig much at all anymore. Maybe one in every 250 casts.
Old 05-24-08, 10:40 AM   #11
Wishing2BFishing

I use 50 lb or even 65 lb braid on my pitchin' rod. This might seem like overkill but I don't have issues with line dig. Also, the 50 is equivalent to the diameter to 12 lb test and the 65 is the equivalent to 17 lb test.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 02:53 PM   #12
RUDylirious
BassFishin.Com Member

That is interesting that you are struggling with braid but are good with mono. I have the complete opposite problem. My very first bait reel was rigged with braid and I that is what I learned and got used to. I just bought my second baitcaster a few weeks ago and it came with a free spooling of mono. I'm having a hell of time with the birdnests with that mono line..windy day or not. I find I have to brake it alot more with my thumb even with the magnetic brake on full. I really think it is just a matter of getting used to how the line acts differently coming out of the reel.
RUDylirious is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.