Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-08, 05:11 PM   #1
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Lure Change Out

Typically how long do you throw one particular lure, jib, worm, etc. before you can justify thowing something else?
crankitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 05:42 PM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

crank i think we already answered this question in your spinner bait post , but in my opinion
you should throw it as long as you feel it's right , as said before if you are getting hits vary your retrieve speeds and presentation until you are getting what you want , fishing is a patience and skill game if you don't have the skill you need the patience to learn it without that you will stay lost forever .
Old 06-01-08, 06:23 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

if your on the right color and are putting the bait in the right locations with out a bite i change rods to a differant bait in about 15 mintues..
say your pitching docks with a jig ya hit 5 with nothing switch to a crank work it shallow then deeper,then hit the docks with it..

i start with a crank or blade work it fast and change up speeds about every 3 cast. i work it shAallow then deeper. if i catch one off a dock i would only then switch to a pitching jig or t-rig. as for color i rarely switch up the color differant bait differant wiggle or one that works deeper

zooker
Old 06-01-08, 06:35 PM   #4
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank You. I guess somewhere I am getting lost is in the deeper part. The only lakes I have access to are highland lakes. The typically go from bank to 160' like it's nothing. What is your recommendation for fishing this type of impoundment?
Old 06-01-08, 06:43 PM   #5
Jim80

are you using a depth finder ? and if not how much bank do you have before it drops off ?
you kinda gotta look for the area best suited for the fish and you will catch them from shore to 25+ feet . if you are using a fish finder utilize it , in an area that drops off that dramatically you spot selection is going to be key . but stick with it and you'll find that spot sooner or later .
Old 06-01-08, 06:48 PM   #6
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey Jim,

I am using a depth finder. The bank comes out at the most 3' and then drops off. A topographical map is not available for this lake and due to the bank drop off getting my boat that close to check for a underwater shelf is almost impossible. How do you catch the fish 20' +?
Old 06-01-08, 06:58 PM   #7
Jim80

truthfully i usually fish shallow , as i don't have a boat and only get on one once or twice a month most my fishing is done from shore on larger ponds and lakes . in water that deep you could always try a scent to try to help , but i'm really not the guy to ask about deeper fishing .
Old 06-01-08, 08:11 PM   #8
tnfisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

about 150 yards down a bank
tnfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 08:45 PM   #9
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankitup View Post
Hey Jim,

I am using a depth finder. The bank comes out at the most 3' and then drops off. A topographical map is not available for this lake and due to the bank drop off getting my boat that close to check for a underwater shelf is almost impossible. How do you catch the fish 20' +?

crank

don't think whats under your boat think whats under the water where the lure is.. your problem is your boat position to the ledge... let me explain it like this if you fish in straight to the bank your bait is in the zone for what 5 feet at the most.. but if you fish with your boat just off the ledge and you fish the break your bait is in the strike zone 90% of the retrive..you move up or down the break edge using the troller..

as you can see in this pic i am sitting in 10 feet of water..

the shelf runs about 3/4 of a mile around 10 feet down. about 20 feet off the bank it drops into a 20-35 foot deep creek channel i position the boat right on that break. my cast are 10 feet off the bank and 20 feet out right on the break. you over lap your cast 3-4 times as you work the break the bass need to see the bait a couple times afore they commit..

nothing fancy just straight up deep crankin..

zooker
Old 06-01-08, 09:54 PM   #10
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

hey zook.. is that the cuda168 finder there?
MrPhotographer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 11:07 PM   #11
Raul

You donīt need to go far away from the bank to catch the fish in that kind of lake, itīs your approach whatīs wrong, you are visualizing the "bottom" in the wrong position, you are visualizing it as being under your boat when itīs not, the "bottom is at the side of your boat, see the bottom is not the bottom but the walls.

Fish in that kind of lakes "hang" from the walls at different depths since the important structural features ( landslides, bluffs, smooth walls ) are there. You have to position your boat parallel to the bank and fish parallel to it not too far away, positioning your boat perpendicular and far from the bank, casting and retrieving a bait to the boat is just a waste of time, the fish wonīt chase your bait if itīs moving away from their ambush places.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.