Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-08, 11:43 PM   #1
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Spinner Baits Breakdown

How to decide water clarity:
  • If you can see your bait up to 2' below the surface the water is clear
  • If you can see your bait 1 1/2' - 6" below the surface the water is stained
  • If you cannot see your lure below the surface the water is muddy
When using a spinner bait in cold water or muddy water you want to use a colorado blade to add a lot of thump. If it is cold/muddy and low light visibility go with a colored leaf and if it is muddy with high visibility go with a gold or silver blade.

When using a spinner bait in warmer waters in clear conditions (80ish) go with a willow leaf blade so you can fish it faster. Use with silver leaves when the sun is out, and use painted leaves with high winds or low light coditions.

When using a spinner bait in stained water you want to go with more of a tortoise shell. This allows for a got thump/vibration while still fishing somewhat fast. Use silver leaves with a lot of light and colored leaves with low light conditions.

Am I missing anything?
crankitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 05:34 AM   #2
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

In muddy water, I like single, large Colorado blades in silver or white, with a white or white/charteuse body. Picasso also make a good blue/chartreuse blade.

In clear water, white, small, tandem willow or willow/Indiana blade combinations. Lets you fish it a tad faster and/or deeper.

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 10:51 PM   #3
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

While judging water clarity, everyone has their own opinion.

In muddy water, bass rely more on feel, so I like something that can move a lot of water, something big. I found that where I live, a big, single, gold, Colorado blade works out great.

In clear water, willow leaves are best used because of the flash they put out, which bass key on, because in clear water they rely more on sight.
Old 06-07-08, 03:04 AM   #4
Lancer6

But what about the Indiana blade, The Oklahoma blade, and the favorite of California bassers (pronounced "bath-ers", you big thillies!) the Gay blade?
Now, there's a great new variation on the willow leaf. KevKel has developed a louvered willowleaf blade that allows you to slow-roll a willow- leaf at speeds that normally would not activate rotation. This is for when you want a slow and/or deep presentation in clearer water and you want to avoid the lift of the Colorado, Indiana, or Oklahoma blade.
I've tested this lure and, as advertised, one CAN crawl the bottom contours at a very slow rate of retrieve with the louvered willowleaf blades turning. In addition, the louvers create more drag, making it easier to maintain more line tension and sensitivity.
See:
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewkevkelspin.html

George, at KevKel, was kind enough to send me some samples of these carefully handcrafted spinnerbaits and I intended to field-test them heavily during the late winter and spring, hoping to send him pics of hawgs caught thereon.
George also sent me some of their absolutely amazing jigs which have, as do the spinnerbaits, hand-wrapped skirts...Yes, HAND-wrapped! As if that weren't amazing enough; The jigs come with trailers hand-wrapped onto the lure...and they ain't the usual fragile soft plastics. Instead, there are two slender strips of rabbit hide, fur intact, wrapped on and dyed in appropriate colors. These strips have a very enticing action, even when at rest. They ought to last a lonnnnnng time.
Sadly, my fishing opportunities have nearly dried up, with me being fortunate to get on the water about every six-eight weeks since Fall, so I've had to let George and KevKel down so far as testing is concerned but I'm determined to do right by them, come Hell or high water. If I can't. I'll either return the lures to KevKel, turn them over to someone who can and will fish them, or send George a check for the samples.
The Oklahoma blade? Well for those who can't match the name with the "face", here:
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...006000_100-6-1

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 04:46 AM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer6 View Post

The Oklahoma blade? Well for those who can't match the name with the "face", here:

L6
gee a okie blade hmmm i guess SOONER or later some gifted person-theres only 3 in the ENITIRE state btw- from okie would get an idea. though why call it a sooner blade?? ya think it would have been called an AGGIE blade or some such.

zooker
Old 06-07-08, 04:53 AM   #6
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
thats a spooner blade not SOONER blade sir..

zooker

Gee! Someone better tell Terminator, BPS, and a few other folks that they've been mistaken all along. It's labeled as The Oklahoma Blade, referred to as such by a pro or two, and I think I'll just leave that name in place.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.