Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-11, 09:25 PM   #1
BassMan94
BassFishin.Com Member

Default hookset help

Mostly everytime i get a good size fish on i set the hook perfect start fighting the fish for a while.... Then jumps fish off... Could rods have anything to do with the hookset? Or is it just me not hooksetting it hard enough?
BassMan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-11, 09:47 PM   #2
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

There are several variables that could factor in -- the rod you're using (what length?, what power?, what action?), the brand of hooks, type of hook (single hook, treble, etc.), even the type of lure you're using (T-rigged plastic vs. spinnerbait vs. topwater, etc.). Can you give more details?

Do you feel like you're keeping good pressure on the fish once you've got 'em hooked up?
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-11, 01:03 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Without knowing what WatterBoy asked about, it's hard to tell you. Any one of those factors could affect keeping fish on. Different factors could even be working together to make the issue worse.

The one thing I can tell you, is you NEED to keep pressure on the fish. Whenever the fish gets some slack, it can throw the hook much easier, which is why they throw hooks when they jump.

BB
Old 05-23-11, 01:11 PM   #4
Jrob78

Sounds like you need sharper hooks.
Old 05-23-11, 04:14 PM   #5
BassMan94
BassFishin.Com Member

im using a dirty jigs swim jig with a roboworm ez shad trailer, my rod 6'6 MH fast action and yeah im fighting the fish not pressuring it to much letting him fight some and they always jump and come off..
Old 05-23-11, 04:26 PM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If I'm not mistaken, Dirty Jigs use Gamakatsu hooks, so that shouldn't your problem. The 6'6" MH may not be the best option for fishing a swimjig with a big trailer like the EZ Shad.

May I suggest stepping up to a longer, and maybe heavier, rod. If you fish heavier swimjigs, you should step up to a heavier rod.

Also, when fighting the fish, you should keep pressure on it. You don't have to water ski them back to the boat like the pros do, but if the fish gets any slack, it really helps them come unbuttoned.

BB
Old 05-23-11, 04:32 PM   #7
BassMan94
BassFishin.Com Member

yeah i will be getting a new rod most likely a carrot stix 7'0 MH fast action rod so that might help a little but yeah i keep tension on the fish the whole time yet it still manages to come off. Also im fighting the fish for a good 15 seconds perfectly fine then it decides to jump and comes right off.
Old 05-23-11, 05:48 PM   #8
coachpurdy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

try moving yur rod tip down if he is about to jump, like BB said it is easier for them to thrw the hook when they jump
coachpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-11, 06:05 PM   #9
cassidyta

While I agree with everyone on here, I slao think that there could be two other variables to consider. These are issues I have had with 6'6" rods as well as swimjigs.

It could be in how you hold the rod. I like to palm my reels and have found that this has made for some lost fish with my shorter rods. I am just not getting enough torque into the hooksets.
The second issue could be that you are too quick on the hookset. With swimjigs, I lost a lost of fish until I started waiting for the fish to get the bait a little deeper in the mouth. I think this is particularly important when you are adding a trailer. You may only be getting a skin hooked fish in the tough part of the mouth.
Old 05-23-11, 08:45 PM   #10
BassMan94
BassFishin.Com Member

Hmmm good points you got there but yeah hopefully when i get my new 7 ft rod ill be able to hook up on more fish
Old 05-23-11, 10:16 PM   #11
WatterBoy

Looks like everyone's already responded after my initial set of questions. I would just reiterate what Coach P said. When you feel the bass coming to the surface for some air gymnastics, lower your rod to try to keep the fish from breaking the surface. Once they jump out of the water, there's really not too much you can do at that point. Everyone is going to lose some that way.

Good luck!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-11, 11:51 PM   #12
BassMan94
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks everyone for your opinions
Old 05-24-11, 09:33 AM   #13
lilmule

Actually stance and hook set used also enter into it,with the rod high and a buzz bait its up,with a crig its a side sweep,and with spinner baits etc its an angle from the fish with rod level or low generally with a pivot involved sort of side sweep,t rigs jigs can be upswing.
So experiment with the type used,id almost bet you you are using an upswing.
As for rod length yes does enter into it but anglers height does as well a shorter guy can use a 6 ft 6 versus a tall guy wanting a 7 ft 2.
At 5 ft 5 a longer than 7 ft 2 is unhandy for me.And a 6 ft 6 easier to sideswing.
Recently fished with a guy that used an 8ft flipper,he was tad over 6 ft and 225 lbs no fat on him,im 135 sopping wet.So what works in length for one does not fit all.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-11, 12:59 AM   #14
Lvitch

Your drag should be set so it slips a bit on a hard hook set (that way you can always set the hook with the same power) once you set the hook, don't stop reeling (again your drag should slip if the fish runs , but don't stop reeling!). If you keep reeling it insures tension on the line reguardless of rod position. also try not to let them jump much if you can, you may need to stick the rod in the water even, but its hard to keep a tight line on an airborne fish. If you set the hook too hard and have your drag cranked down you only rip a hole in the fishes lip letting the hook POP out. I started doing the above and I land 95% or better of the fish that bite. Before that I was probably at 60-75%. Loosing big fish sucks
Old 05-28-11, 01:14 PM   #15
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvitch View Post
Your drag should be set so it slips a bit on a hard hook set (that way you can always set the hook with the same power) once you set the hook, don't stop reeling (again your drag should slip if the fish runs , but don't stop reeling!). If you keep reeling it insures tension on the line reguardless of rod position. also try not to let them jump much if you can, you may need to stick the rod in the water even, but its hard to keep a tight line on an airborne fish. If you set the hook too hard and have your drag cranked down you only rip a hole in the fishes lip letting the hook POP out. I started doing the above and I land 95% or better of the fish that bite. Before that I was probably at 60-75%. Loosing big fish sucks
I will agree with this most of the time. When I am flipping, using frogs, or throwing jigs, I don't want the drag to budge on my hookset. For me these techniques are done in places where turning their head is very important to me. Since I am using heavy line in those situations, I am not worried about needing drag to keep the line from breaking.
In almost every other situation, I do want the drag to slip some.
Old 05-28-11, 02:11 PM   #16
Lvitch

I agree , but I just use my thumb on the spool for those cases.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.