Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-10, 03:04 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default St Croix crankbait rod report

Well as many of you know I recently purchased the St Croix Premier PC70MHM graphite 7' cranbait rod for working my large deep diving crankbaits. Today I had the chance to really try it out, and I can tell you it was a great experience. I have it paired up with a BPS David Fritts 4.7:1 ratio casting reel, spooled with 12 pound Suffix Elite mono. Working with my DD22's and DT16's the rod handled it very well. There was very little resistance when reeling in the baits, even when speeding up the retrieve. I was able to feel every little tick down below. The rod has very good sensitivity. I can't compare it to the more expensive St Croixs or Loomis rods as I've never used one of those. But if your looking for a rod for deep cranking that won't cost you and arm and a leg, and still want good quality I highly recommend this rod. It loaded up very well and provided very good distance. This really pleased me as I've been considering replacing my David Fritts reel due to a lack of casting distance with any of my rods when casting large baits. However I am now rethinking that idea. Paired up with the St Croix crankbait rod I now have, those large cranks sailed farther than I've ever been able to throw them. Fishing was very tough today. But I did take a decent bass on a DD22. It has the guts to haul in any bass I can think of, and yet has the perfect action to make casting smooth and easy. Definately 3 thumbs up.

Last edited by keithdog; 06-26-10 at 07:34 AM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10, 03:50 PM   #2
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Great report Keith, glad to hear you like the rod!

BB
Old 06-25-10, 05:09 PM   #3
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Did you get 75 yards on the cast like KVD does? lol Glad you are enjoying the new rod.
Old 06-25-10, 07:00 PM   #4
Bassboss

Hmm.. I been looking for a sensitive graphite cranking rod (my BPS tourney special IS NOT making the cut), I wonder what the going price is on ebay is for them.

Thanks for the write up though Keith! I was actually thinking about maybe getting one them.
Old 06-25-10, 07:11 PM   #5
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Did you get 75 yards on the cast like KVD does? lol Glad you are enjoying the new rod.
If I did I wouldnt be sitting here, hahaha.
Old 06-26-10, 07:36 AM   #6
keithdog

Another bit of info for ya. The rod handled the midsized cranks such as the DT10's and Deep Little N very well too.
Old 01-08-11, 09:31 PM   #7
Tavery5

Keith, sorry to drag up an old thread, but I was wondering if you could give me an update on how this rod has held up for you and if you are still happy with its performance. I have a chance to get one of these at a very low price and was wondering if you were still liking yours.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 10:02 PM   #8
bassinbob

Tavery, I love mine. Go for it.
Old 01-09-11, 12:58 AM   #9
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Keith, sorry to drag up an old thread, but I was wondering if you could give me an update on how this rod has held up for you and if you are still happy with its performance. I have a chance to get one of these at a very low price and was wondering if you were still liking yours.
If I needed another one I'd buy it in a heart beat. I couldn't be happier with the rod.
Old 01-09-11, 01:32 AM   #10
johnD
BassFishin.Com Member

I was thinking about buying the PC70MM for shallow running crankbaits.Like the mann's baby 1 minus and the Bandit footloose or is the one you bought PC70MHM more suited for that ? Thanks in advanced.

John
johnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 10:39 AM   #11
keithdog

I bought the MHM for large deepwater crankin.
Old 01-09-11, 12:58 PM   #12
Tavery5

I did purchase the rod, it is a model PC70HM. 7ft H Mod. Plan on using it to replace an older rod that I have been using to throw my med, and deep cranks on. Heres the deal, it was regularly a 119 dollar rod, GM has had it on clearance for a while for 80, yesterday they had an additional 25% off clearance items, and I used a 25 dollar gift card my in-laws gave me for Christmas. So, I only had to come out of pocket for like 35 dollars. When my monkey did the math, it was all over with. The tip on this rod feel a little more toward the fast side of things, and I am hoping that it might be able to serve double duty as a frog rod as well. Just worried that the tip might be a little too soft to get a good hookset if you are a good ways out.
Old 01-09-11, 06:49 PM   #13
Apt79
BassFishin.Com Member

I use the mojo bass 7" mh for deep cranking. Like you said I have no complaints. St croix makes nice rods!
Apt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 07:01 PM   #14
Tavery5

I am convinced that this is a good rod, and that I got a good deal on it, so much in fact that I went today and purchased another. I wanted one that would have no problems serving as a frog rod for me, and the Mod action of the first rod I purchased left me with some concerns. I purchased the second at the same great price of about 60 dollars, it is a 7ft Heavy Fast, and I have no doubt that it will be able to handle my frog fishing and well as pitch jigs.
I appreciate all the comments and information you guys have shared about your experience with this line of rods. I will update you with my experience once it warms a little and we all get back to some serious fishing.
Old 01-11-11, 04:05 PM   #15
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

St Croix makes many of my "Go-To" blanks to build on. This mid-range blank is a good choice for a cranking stick, sensitive enough, good back bone and affordable. It mankes sense to save the rod budget for jig & plastics rods where sensitivity plays a bigger role.
Old 01-11-11, 07:55 PM   #16
johnD
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
St Croix makes many of my "Go-To" blanks to build on. This mid-range blank is a good choice for a cranking stick, sensitive enough, good back bone and affordable. It mankes sense to save the rod budget for jig & plastics rods where sensitivity plays a bigger role.
I agree.I look for something lightweight,that won't rip the trebles out and cast well.Being moderately priced is a bonus.
johnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 11:00 PM   #17
tomegun
BassFishin.Com Member

The Premier is my cranking rod of choice too. I can throw them all day without much fatigue. My loomis' are way too stiff for all day cranking. I have 3 7 footers and one 6'6 for jerkbaits. For a 100 bucks, they are great rods and super durable.

The new Mojo rods I believe are the same blank as the Premier SCII. These are just a new sportier model.
tomegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 11:39 PM   #18
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
The new Mojo rods I believe are the same blank as the Premier SCII. These are just a new sportier model.
You are correct.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.