Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-11, 01:53 AM   #1
st.croix229
BassFishin.Com Member

Post how do i get a huge bass struggle all summer

Why no big bass any pointers any help.
st.croix229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 06:43 AM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Really big bass grow in the southern portion of the usa and cali,and not everyone catches them or knows how,probably why they got so big.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 09:07 AM   #3
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Large bass only constitute 3 per cent of any given bass population. If you are catching bass eventually you will latch onto some really nice fish. About how many are you catching, say in a 3 hour evening of fishing? Also it would help to know your general location.
Old 06-27-11, 05:27 PM   #4
st.croix229
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
Large bass only constitute 3 per cent of any given bass population. If you are catching bass eventually you will latch onto some really nice fish. About how many are you catching, say in a 3 hour evening of fishing? Also it would help to know your general location.
I'm fishing in old hickory lake, usually early mornings, throwing mostly plastics catching six to seven bass .
st.croix229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 05:40 PM   #5
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thats not horrible. Some lakes just dont have many big fish. Thats why it is an accomplishment to catch one. I have never heard of old hickory having huge bass. Maybe it does, and it is under the radar a bit, but I always thought its popularity was based on its location close to Nashvegas.
Old 06-27-11, 06:59 PM   #6
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I always thought its popularity was based on its location close to Nashvegas.

Billy, you're a funny little guy!! lol
I lived in Mt. Juliet, TN for a few years and fished the heck out of the lake. My biggest LMB was only 6 lbs and the biggest Smallie came off the bluffs near the 109 bridge at 5 lbs. Those were rare then and I would imagine even rarer these days. Shucks! I caught a 4 lb Gizzrd Shad on a 1/4 oz Rattle trap one morning right there at the Bull Creek boat ramp! First and primary question, did the milfoil ever come back on the lake (in any appreciable amounts)?
Old 06-27-11, 07:49 PM   #7
nobass

i fish old hickory about threee times a year. my biggest was 5.4 lbs. big fish there are . between 5 and 7 lbs 7 being the exception smallies 5 is a good fish 6 is outstanding . the average lg mouth in tenn is between 5 and 7 anything bigger is really rare i have heard of bigger smallies from dale hallow and pickwick. never caught any thing that big on barkly or ky lake
Old 06-28-11, 01:37 AM   #8
Lvitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.croix229 View Post
I'm fishing in old hickory lake, usually early mornings, throwing mostly plastics catching six to seven bass .
Stop fishing for "keepers" and start fishing for the larger fish.
Old 06-28-11, 01:26 PM   #9
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Big bait, big fish. If you're fishing a school and only catching small fish, you could try letting a swimbait (5 or 6 inch) sink below the school, and using that. Sometimes the big fish in a school (if their are any) are deeper then the rest.

If you're just cursing around, looking for fish, try tossing a big jig (one with a big thick skirt, All terrain makes an awesome jig, I like purple), with pork trailer to likely locations, like stick ups, isolated cover, etc. If you don't have confidence in that, or it's not working, a 1/2 double willow spinnerbait will catch big fish.
Old 06-28-11, 02:06 PM   #10
cassidyta

First off, a big bass is relative to a body of water. There are some places where a 2 lbs fish is king and others where he is one of the small guys.

It is not always the big baits that will do it. I have several 12" swimbaits and my biggest fish to date was caught on an IKA. The same size that has caught several dinks.
The big bait will often keep you from catching the smaller fish, but it doesn't mean that you will catch a big fish. You may also be surprised by how many small fish will hit a big bait.

Someone once said on here that to look at fishing for a big bass, the same as you would as hunting for a big buck. Except during the spawn, a big bass is not usually out with the general population. Find places that offer the best protection as well as a location where the fish expect to find a good food source. I have caught large fish with a 4" worm because I put the bait in that one ambush spot between the rocks or trees.

If you are trophy fish hunting, then do the worse thing a fisherman can do. Leave the spot that has fish in an attempt to find "The one" As Bassboss said, sometimes that spot can be in a lower water column under the school. Sometimes it is far from the school.
Old 06-30-11, 01:16 AM   #11
Lvitch

I think the worst a big bait can do is open your eyes to what you could possibly catch. At best it will catch them.

Honestly I would say you should go to the lake and just sit there for a few hrs. Don't fish, just be still. Watch and listen for activity , and also take note of what you see happening. The best ambush spots are usually busy and have some type of trigger (usually current of some kind). That's the best place to start looking for a big fish imo.

Big fish don't get big by letting little fish get the food first, and generally they aren't afraid of much of anything that appears natural. You want your bait to look as much like what the big fish are eating. That might be craws, tiny 1" baitfish, 4-12" baitfish, or maybe lizards or frogs. Usually when your trying to catch a fish eating, the bigger fish will grab the biggest food in the best area. Or in the most unweary one. Just my.02
Old 06-30-11, 02:00 AM   #12
st.croix229
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the pointers ....much appreciated
Old 06-30-11, 04:02 PM   #13
Raul

Good question. You are trying to fish for the smallest population group, where I´m at ( Central Mexico ) there´s an abundance of 5+ pounders however, the least catches a 3 pounder, call me a snob, a 5 pouder doesn´t impress me, I catch them on such a regular basis that for me catching a 5 pounder means little, no, I´m after the big gals, those 10+ pound fish that are so elusive, big baits = big bass , not really, big baits help you cull through the dinks but they are not the absolute solution, big baits, knowledge, being there the more you can, being methodical and milk the likely spots that is what equals big bass.

Some are going to recommend swimbaits, well, swimbaits do work, but when I´m on the hunt for a big momma a big worm or a swombait are not my weapons of choice, a jig with a really fat round strand living rubber skirt dressed with a Brush Hog as trailer fished at arthritic snail slow pace is my weapon of choice. Now, here´s something that may surprise you, most of my 10+ pounders have been caught between 1 and 5 PM, under the blazing heat and scorching sun with little or no cloud cover.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 01:43 AM   #14
oglejust

biggest fish ive ever caught was yesterday, using a hula popper.. might try top water. guess it just depends where u throw it.
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 07:02 PM   #15
Lvitch

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Good question. You are trying to fish for the smallest population group, where I´m at ( Central Mexico ) there´s an abundance of 5+ pounders however, the least catches a 3 pounder, call me a snob, a 5 pouder doesn´t impress me, I catch them on such a regular basis that for me catching a 5 pounder means little, no, I´m after the big gals, those 10+ pound fish that are so elusive, big baits = big bass , not really, big baits help you cull through the dinks but they are not the absolute solution, big baits, knowledge, being there the more you can, being methodical and milk the likely spots that is what equals big bass.

Some are going to recommend swimbaits, well, swimbaits do work, but when I´m on the hunt for a big momma a big worm or a swombait are not my weapons of choice, a jig with a really fat round strand living rubber skirt dressed with a Brush Hog as trailer fished at arthritic snail slow pace is my weapon of choice. Now, here´s something that may surprise you, most of my 10+ pounders have been caught between 1 and 5 PM, under the blazing heat and scorching sun with little or no cloud cover.
I agree fully. Add a 7-8" rapala or bomber to the list for me!
Old 07-02-11, 02:19 PM   #16
Imgoodatwhatido

last week i caught a 5 inch smallmouth on a manns 30+ crank lol
Imgoodatwhatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-11, 03:21 PM   #17
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post

Very well said, Raul!! I know John Hope out in Texas, well at least I have visited with him a time or too at Axton's on Lake Fork, Texas. What Raul said is very close to some of the experience John shared with me. John has spent many an hour tracking bass with transmitters, and is well known in Texas for his big bass prowess.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.