Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-11, 12:45 PM   #1
johnsoft349
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Want to try frogging but have a problem with my set up.

So, one of my favorite fishing spots these days is a shallowish inlet in a big, big reservoir. This inlet has a ton of weeds toward the middle, and they're very thick. I've had some success with t-rigged worms and stuff, but I think a spro frog would SLAY those fish. It's the perfect spot for topwater.

The only problem is, I only have one rod. It says on the rod that it's meant for 6-12 lb. test. I currently have 10 lb. mono on it, which is working out fine as a general, all around line. For frogging though, I need much heavier line. I think 20lb braid is the standard?

So what do I do. I can't afford another rod, and I don't think the one i have would like having line that heavy on it. I also don't want to be using 20lb braid all the time. I looked into extra spools and haven't found anything. Is there another topwater bait I might be better off with?

Thanks guys.
johnsoft349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 12:54 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Tie on a horny toad or ribbet,set hook soon as it takes it,like a buzzbait.
It will go across the weeds without getting hung up.
Most floating spro types use or take 45-50 braid in order to get them to walk,and a rod thats long with a fast tip,about 100 bucks min.Also takes a different hookset a wait 1.2 ,3 then set hook.
The horny toad or ribbet is a way to use current rod.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 12:55 PM   #3
johnsoft349
BassFishin.Com Member

Could I get away with doing that on my current set up?
Old 07-19-11, 01:21 PM   #4
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

the line size ratings on rods are almost meaningless. They are simply an outdated guide that no one has come up with anything better. You can use any size line on any rod you want. The only limit would be the reel you use and the drag setting. Obviously, every rod has a breaking point. If you go over that point it will break. If you set your drag at a reasonable let off point, the drag will slip and you will not have any problems. Also, you want to use at least 30 lb braid but 50 to 65 lb braid is better. You don't use that size braid for it's break strength, you use it for the diameter size. 20 lb braid is very thin and will slide into the wraps on the spool, creating a bind. 50 lb braid and up won't do that nearly as bad. The reason you would use braid in the first place is that it floats and it cuts weeds. Other than that you could use 10 lb mono and do just fine also. Now, if you catch a bass and she buries herself in the weeds, you won't be able to drag her out by forcing the rod to drag the fish and 50 lbs of weeds. That would break most rods. You need to go to those fish and coax them out. If you are able to fish that area with rubber baits, then you can fish that area with frogs. The frogs are going to catch the same fish the rubber baits did. When you can afford more rods, you may want to get a 7 ft heavy or extra heavy slop rod for fishing in the thick stuff. I don't have one because I hate to use broom sticks to catch fish. I toss spro frogs on a medium action small spinner bait rod rated lighter than the rod you described. I use that rod because the tip allows me to give the frog it's walk the dog or pop pop pop action without wearing me out. I have 50 lb braid on it and the drag is set where i can pull line at about the same rate i would with 10 lb mono.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 02:10 PM   #5
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

You'll be fine with 20lb braid. It's not "big" at all, very small actually, and about the diameter of 4lb mono... it's just strong. I think that once you do use braid for everything (especially worms), you'll have a hard time going back. The only thing I don't really like braid that much for is for treble baits, I prefer mono. It's not to bad for spinnerbaits either. If you're using a baitcaster, then I'd step it up to 30 or 40lb braid.

If you're using a spinning reel, you can usually find spare spools on ebay. What brand and model reel you got?
Old 07-19-11, 02:11 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

What length and power is the rod you have now? Casting or spinning?

The main problem you'll run into fishing frogs with a rod that's too light isn't the line, but actually working the bait, setting the hook, and getting the fish out of the cover.

I don't use much more than 30lb braid, but many guys will use 30, 40, 50 or even 65lb braid for fishing frogs in heavy cover.

I don't do a lot of frogging, but my 7' H F rod is the one I use when I do.

BB
Old 07-19-11, 11:12 PM   #7
johnsoft349
BassFishin.Com Member

The rod is an old 6'6" Penn graphite rod, Penn PG I think.

The reel is also Penn. It's a relatively cheap spinning reel..unfortunately I don't know the name. I think the gear ratio is 5:2:1 but that may not be right. I'm sorry I can't give more info on the rod, I don't have it with me at the moment.

All I know is the rod is 6'6" medium-light (rated for 6-12lb line), and the reel is a spinning reel of decent quality.

Thanks guys
Old 07-19-11, 11:34 PM   #8
Z-Man
BassFishin.Com Member

ML is a no go for frogging, at least in my book. I was having a hard time with it on my MH so I switched to a 7'6'' H with 65 lb braid.
Old 07-19-11, 11:50 PM   #9
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

It's always nice to have the best tool for the job at hand, but give some guys a pair of pliers and some duct tape and they can get the job done. What you have is not ideal for fishing in the thick, but it's what you have. Use it. Fish the edges of the weeds instead of tossing your frog in the slop. It's fishing, it's not rocket science. I cut my teeth bass fishing when all we had was 5 1/2 ft pistel grip rods for casting and flimsy crappie rods for spinning. Our line choice was mono, or mono. We thought anything over 14 lb line was rope. If a bass got into thick cover and broke us off, well we had a good fish story. Many of todays anglers fish like they are in a tournamnet for thier house payment every time they hit the water. They use very heavy tackle and hoist the bass into the boat without having even enjoyed a little fight. Just use what you have and don't let anyone tell you it won't work.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-11, 12:04 AM   #10
bamabassman

pro makes an EXCELLANT statement. i too remember when a zebco 33 was the shizzle. and eagle claw mono was too along witht he hooks (which i still use). learn to wear down the fish, set your drag and play him out. it takes time, but i am sure oyu can do it.
i remember several times i thought i was gonna run out of line before i got the fish in bac in the day. 2 piece rods, 33 and 12# mono was all i had. learned how to do a lot of things.
Old 07-20-11, 12:09 AM   #11
johnsoft349
BassFishin.Com Member

Wow, well said pro reel. I often thing that to myself: Do the fish give damn what my rod is like? Of course not. It's really just a matter of comfort/pleasure to have particular rods, but especially reels.

I've got a couple good 2-3 pounders with this set up and a number of other nice fish (nabbed a small muskie the other day while running a wacky rigged senko...imagine my surprise... haha). I like not having every lure under the sun and a perfect set up. I'll continue buying more gear as I go but I think i'm doing fine now.

I'll probably get some 15-20 lb braid and start using that as my all around line, so that I can do some frogging but be ok doing everything else as well.
Old 07-20-11, 04:43 AM   #12
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Pro Reel made an excellent statement. I too, am one of those guys that use almost all Medium baitcasting rods (one stubby Medium/Heavy which gets limited use) because I enjoy the fight. I'd like to say one thing that no one has mentioned yet. Braid is very, very bad on gear. Don't quote me on this, but I believe your rod needs to have a certain type of guides to withstand constant casting of braid.

Me? I stick with mono 100% of the time. I think you could do just fine w/ that 10lb mono. It's just gonna be tough getting that big Bass outta the slop.
Old 07-20-11, 04:45 AM   #13
Backwater Charlie

When you get enough cash, I'd invest into a 7' MH stick. The only instance I ever use a MH is when I'm fishing very thick weeds or fishing a spinnerbait that's too much pull & strain on a flimsier rod. May want to try at Baitcasting, or stick with Spinning. Doesn't really matter it's preference.
Old 07-20-11, 07:43 AM   #14
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Agree the 20 lb braid is good for worming and light work on edges of grass,your mono is as well.Yes another rod something like a flipping stick would work better and with heavier braid on spro frogs,but to use what you have,just toss a floating ribbet on the edges.
Pkg costs 5 bucks or around and some frog hooks is all you need,that 5/2/1 reel would wear you out trying to keep a non floater aloft.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-11, 09:12 AM   #15
mrmuskie5

Maybe dont go the spro frog route. you WILL lose it with your set up and if you are low on funds losing $10 sux. try a weight less senko or dinger. If the mats are as thick as you say the fish arent seeing the bait anyways so you are just causing surface disturbance. the good thing about the senko is when you find a open pocket you can let it sink down in the hole. you will lose sum fish and baits but it wont make you cry. good luck man.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 04:58 PM   #16
DaveW731

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmuskie5 View Post
Maybe dont go the spro frog route. you WILL lose it with your set up and if you are low on funds losing $10 sux. try a weight less senko or dinger. If the mats are as thick as you say the fish arent seeing the bait anyways so you are just causing surface disturbance. the good thing about the senko is when you find a open pocket you can let it sink down in the hole. you will lose sum fish and baits but it wont make you cry. good luck man.
Absolutely agree! You can certainly use your current equipment, but you do need to recognize its limitations. Trying to fish a frog like a spro is just setting yourself up, IMO. Instead, experiment with different ways to disturb the surface with a stick bait like a dinger. Yum Dingers are a bit tougher than Senkos and will react better to being treated rougher.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.