Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-06, 08:59 PM   #1
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Need Some Feedback

Alright ladies and gents. Im thinking of embarking on a new journey in my life. Before I continue, I would like to hear some feedback from the members.
Ive been tossing around the idea of starting a guide service. Ive done some research, checked the web, talked to those already doing this. But have some questions that I feel could be answered by the members here.
Honest thoughts and opinions are appreciated. No foul feelings will be held. So here goes.

1. Do you feel the former pro or current pro makes a better guide?
2. Would someone from the above be more likely to obtain your buss.?
3. Does a catchy website loaded with pictures make a decision for you?
4. Do the promises of great once in a lifetime catches lure you?
5. Would you give buss. to a new guide over someone who says they have 20-30 years of experience?
6. What is the one thing you look for in a guide?

Im sure more questions will arise after these get answered. I have a area in mind, already looking at boats- 1 primary, 1 back up. I truly feel that the claims of super catches everytime are a little far reached. I know that even the best fisherman/women have bad days. Im looking to start a honest, no claim to fame and riches service. Artificial primarily w/ live bait as back up (depending on customer). I feel I can put people on fish and give them a fun, relaxed day. I have more of a game plan than that, just don't want to sound like an advertisement. Thanks!
Old 05-02-06, 09:38 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If that's something you want to do I'd say give it a shot. To answer your questions, sure, a pro or former pro has credibility. We all know to get to be a pro you have to know what you are doing.

Would a pro get my business? Maybe, maybe not-it would depend on the situation.

Catchy website loaded with pictures-they do show you know what you are doing, but some sites overdo it. Just a few pics will suffice.

Once in a lifetime catch promises are nice but can be hard to deliver-in Fla., though, it isn't far fetched by any stretch fo the imagination-right, Lizards ?

New guide vs years of experience? The way to build business is really word of mouth. A new guide, IMO, will try a lot harder to put you on fish, so, yes, I'd probably take a chance on one.

The one thing I look for? Someone who comes across more concerned I have a good time rather than getting paid.

Most folks are just looking to have fun and catch some fish. Being in Florida you have the opportunity to catch some big fish, so that's a plus. You might try starting just part-time to see if you really like it and go from there.
Old 05-02-06, 09:45 PM   #3
Floridafisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

I was looking for a guide for this summer to see if i could learn soem new stuff. Sense i no one in my family to teach me more. You guys on these forums have tuaght me everything i know. thanks
Floridafisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-06, 09:48 PM   #4
crankybait

1. depends. dont care if theyre pro or former, whoever has more experience
2. probably former, sounds older and more experienced, with enough time on their hands to offer a good trip
3. pictures would really make me want to go witha guide, thats how i chose my deep sea fishing charter
4. as long as i know im going to have fun for sure, then it doesnt matter.
5.yeah thats pretty good, its a lot of time and so theyd probably know waht they were doing.
6. frendliness. someone who i can probably just talk to, not a totaly silent trip with some miser

hope i helped
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-06, 06:16 AM   #5
1FASTLASER

Ok buddy here's my thoughts:

1. A former pro would be a better option to me as he now can devotee more time to accomodating his clients. A current pro would have to divide his time. Not saying that he wouldnt give it his all just more time imho.

2. Wouldnt really be a deciding factor to me. I do know of some folks that havent fished professionally that would kick butt on the trail. IMHO

3. A good website with the services offered,prices,lakes fished and requirements with a few photos and some comments from clients would add to the business.

4. Promises when it comes to fishing especially bass fishing are unrealistic. You dont know what the fish are gonna do. So a promise to me are empty words.

5. Would give my business to a guide whether new or established by looking at what he has to offer and the way he presents himself. A down to earth person with good people skills gets my vote.

6. Honesty and a true feeling that the guide would do his best to make sure to make the BEST outta the day.
Old 05-03-06, 07:52 AM   #6
FlyRod

There's always some character who brings up "stuff"...and I guess I drew the short straw.
I think you've recieved valuable answers and reinforcement re your dream. I hope and believe you will be successful. Now, some "stuff" to consider.

A. Are you married? Children at home? The time away from them may be considerable. "Mommy, who's that man?"

B. PLEASE, make certain that you carry some serious liability insurance, all you can afford and more. This applies to both boat AND vehicle.

C. Will your current boat insurer continue to cover your rig and tow vehicle once you become a licensed guide? I suspect some won't OR they'll jack the premiums through the roof.

D. Are your boat and/or motor still under warranty? If so, is there any restriction on "professional" use?

E. Will the Mrs. erupt when you are hired by a pair of Hooter's girls who leave a message asking if topless sunbathing is OK? Circa early 80's I guided a lady from Austin TX who shed her top as I was instructing her in the fine art of bassin'. My live-in GF was NOT amused. Of course, I strangled the ex-friend who'd spotted us on the lake and then made sure Mary Ellen got the news.

Good luck and be safe!

FlyRod

Just food for thought. Not trying to precipitate on your procession.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-06, 08:52 AM   #7
flbassman

Well, being a guide would be great. But would it feed your family? I know the daughter of a saltwater guide, and they have plenty of cash, but he's been doing it for a while.

This is just my opinion right here, but what about somethin special. You know, there are a lot of bass guides in business, If you opened up with some sort of "kick" it would be cool. I read something in a bassmaster about a guy who flies floatplanes into central florida lakes for fising. Maybe a camping/ fishing package. Maybe specialize in families. Maybe specialize in the handicapped. I don't know exactly, but I think that something nobody else had would allow your business to really soar.
Old 05-03-06, 10:00 AM   #8
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

I don't have much knowledge of guides, I've never considered using one up to this point. But, I am a firm believer in people in general, if you are honest and sincere and put your customer and the business at the center of your focus, you should do well. Be fair and competitive. People like to deal with people they feel they can trust, be all these things and you stand a better than average chance of succeding in whatever you do.
As far as the snappy eye catching web site, it wouldn't hurt any to have a real good one. Advertising works.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-06, 11:05 AM   #9
NCYankee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Whatever you do, write a business plan. You should do indepth research and develop a timeline of where you want to be when and how you are going to get there. Just make sure you know when to throw in the towel if things aren't working out. A written plan will keep you honest.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-06, 02:02 PM   #10
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

first off(at least in jersey).it's very hard starting a guide business...don't plan on making any money for a while.
i use the same guy for 13 or so years in fla....found him in one of the local papers.and he was close to where i was staying..that made my decision,not if he was a pro or not.
when i see a catchy website i usually pass on it.
wouldn't pay attention to that catch of a lifetime bit...better to say "no fish-no pay"
and even if it's just one little thing,i'd like to learn something new..so the guide has to at least be a little more knowledgable fisherman than me.
i like to hear fish stories from guides..they're usually pretty good..
i'd like to be aware of any booze or guns in the boat..lol
a guide has to know how to read people..know when to yak or shut up.
safety should always be the main concern..
a clean,roomy boat...decent equipment.
just some of my thoughts on guides
Old 05-03-06, 09:36 PM   #11
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Plan on not fishing, unless they need helped being shown a specific way to work a rod/lure/bait/etc.... I find it amusing the stories I hear of where the guide caught most of the fish or the biggest fish That's why they are paying you, so they can do that Anyway I believe you know the area well enough. Just be sure the equip is in GREAT OPERATING CONDITION. Nothing worse than spending part of a day that you hired a guide to go fishing, working on something mechanical. Yeah stuff happpens, just make sure it's the exception, not the rule. I also think you have a personality that would work for you, but you also have the family, but you work all the time now, might as well do it on the lake I think you got a lot to think about and decide on. First off, really, and I mean REALLY look at ALL the exspenses very hard, from Shiners, Lure replacing, to insurance to rising gas prices(plan on gas being $4/gal on your estimates), put repairs in, and weather days in also. Look at the highest exspenses you can figure, and then add 10-20k a year to that. How much does a new prop cost , or a lower unit Boats and fishing are exs*****ive period. Especially the use, and total abuse from novices your equipment will take. Now if you decide to venture into it, I'll hire ya But I want lunch and lots of MT Dews on the boat I hire people who have been reccommended to me if possible. So if you do a good job, and folks have fun for a fair price, you will get busy. But you gotta catch fish, no if's and or butt's Folks hate going Bassless on a guided trip. I know better, but you need to know what they are thinking

Lizards
Old 05-04-06, 10:54 PM   #12
flfireman

Alright, lets see if I can adress what Ive read.
1st- The FF job is staying, the part time ambulance gig is going. This means I have 20 days a month for fishing. This also means my health,dental,life insurance, ETC. are still covered.
2nd- As of right now, My darling wife is supporting this 100%. She realizes Ill be doing something I truly love to do. Also realizes Ill be home more than what I am w/ my current jobs.
3rd- boats, etc.- Currently working on a deal for 2 boats. 1-20ft, 2003 w/ Honda 4 stroke, 2nd 18ft, 2003 w/ Honda 4 stroke. Possibly switching both over to ETECS. Both boats are mint condition, low hrs. Already equipped w/ TM's, electronics, etc. With this, Ive also contacted an old friend who is still employed as a boat mechanic. Him and his employer are actually willing not only to advertise for me, but take on my mechanical needs on a priority basis if needed. Most tackle stores and marinas here are very user friendly as far as posting flyers in the stores. Have actually spoken to some about this.
4th- Costs- have looked into insurance, the main concern for most agents has been HP not use. Liability is higher, but a long w/ the first part, decreases w/ lower HP engines. The biggest concern is life safety-IE-extinguishers, life vests, rescue ladder. One of the guides is contacting his agent for me to run numbers and so forth. With me keeping the FF job, Im only considered in their eyes as a part time liability. The alcohol and weapon thing never crossed my mind. I have 1-2 different disclaimers from other agencies Ive been referencing and neither one brings up those points. The alcohol will probably be a no-no while on the water. The only firearm will probably be mine or a scattergun for snakes.
Im not a big gimmic guy. I pretty much tell it as I see it. I was thinking of a no fish no pay deal. Prices will be kept competitive. Will probably hang under the price of the more established guides, but not so low as to screw any of them. I do feel my job will be of some help here also. Ive already had some positive feedback from a lot of guys about this. Also have been told that I should send flyers or emails to all fire departments and law enforcement agencies in the area or state. Probably will offer a discount or free dozen or two shiners for them.
The most important from what Ive seen has been character. I feel that Im a pretty laid back guy. I just want people to have fun and catch fish. Lizard and Bassintom can vouch a little for me- even if SH$T happens I try to keep a positive and humorous attitude about things. Im not sure if I could teach everyone something new, but can offer my honest opinion on things.
Im hoping between word of mouth, local postings and flyers, and a modest web page I can turn this into a successful gig. Like I stated earlier, not looking to be rich or the next Spanish Fly or OLN host. Just thinking I could offer a good trip at a reasonable cost w/o any out of reach expectations.
Old 05-05-06, 02:28 AM   #13
flamez

gurantee fish catching (if think ur up to it) or your money back
Old 05-05-06, 05:18 AM   #14
1FASTLASER

Well ole buddy after reading your reply to what has been posted .......GO FOR IT!!!! Man you really sound like you got your chit together and have done all the research and homework. To put it in a few words.......If I can get down there YOU got a customer already.
Old 05-05-06, 04:23 PM   #15
KenDammit

Just my little .02 cents but it doesn't necessarily have to be that you're teaching everyone you guide something new..but you're teaching them/telling them what YOU know about your lake(s). That would be my main concern with a guide..their knowledge of the water we're on. Techniques and things are good, but it doesn't do any good if you don't know what you're up against in the first place. Hopefully that makes sense.

1. Don't care, just be knowledgable about the water and fishing in general
2. My business would go to a price I think is fair and a guide that seems productive and dependable.(would probably come from word of mouth more than anything)
3. No, a website that gets down to business is more acceptable to me. I'd like to see the "success" but would rather not see a site loaded with pictures of just big fish...success stories would be better
4. Promises, Promises...they are useless. Tell me that we're gonna go give it hell and MAYBE we'll catch a big one before you tell me I'm gonna have the catch of a lifetime.
5. It wouldn't matter to me so long as the guide has a lot of FISHING experience. Thats the most important part
6. A fun, safe, enjoyable outing on the water that lends me the opportunity to learn things I haven't known before.

a big selling point for me with a guide(whether I would refer him or her later on or not) would be how they behaved and acted. I want someone who is friendly, who doesn't use foul language, you know..the normal stuff.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.