Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-12, 03:23 PM   #1
Beukeboom
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Lure recommendations for dock fishing

Due to not having a boat, I'm limited to fishing from public piers and docks at public boat landings. I'm arguably the world's worst fisherman but thought I'd request recommendations for the best lures to use from those structures.
Beukeboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-12, 03:48 PM   #2
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

1/4-3/8oz jig (depending on depth) giving it a slow ROF (rate of fall)
Shaky heads
Spinnerbaits/Swim jig
Buzzbaits........These are my top go-to for dock fishing.
Old 08-09-12, 06:06 PM   #3
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

Drop shot with 1/8 oz. sinker, light line. Look at some of Aaron Martins Youtube stuff.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-12, 07:27 PM   #4
Tavery5

I would let the structure and cover around these docks/piers help determine which baits I would use. I can't think of any bait that I own that would be impossible to use from a dock or pier.

A good bait to start out with in allot of pressured areas is a Senko. Wacky rig it, Texas rig it, weighted, weightless any way you want. There is a good chance that if you can't get bit with a Senko it is going to be a long day.
Old 08-09-12, 07:51 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

sorry buddy...but I AM THE WORST FISHERMAN....KING OF THE DINKS!!! HAHAHA!!!

evryone ahs given oyu some sound advise pal. give them all a chance and report how it worked for oyu.
Old 08-09-12, 11:04 PM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My favorite lure choice for most piers is a jig. My second favorite lure would be a spinnerbait. Sizes would depend on the dock, depth and time of year. I also like a t rigged soft plastic, such as a lizard or a worm. Sometimes weightless, sometimes weighted depending on the waters depth. And if the pier is surrounded by vegitation like lilly pads or grass, I'll be chucking a frog in there too!
Old 08-10-12, 05:38 AM   #7
joedog

I probably don't fish as much as I should but when I do, it's from shore.
I also spent many, many years boat fishing.
Here's my take on things.
Advantage of boating:
1) can carry a bunch of pre-rigged rods
2) can move easily to different locations
3) can fish different angles at same structure
4) electronics are handy...but only if you really know how to use them
5) you can use a HydroWave

Agvantage of shorebusting
1) inexpensive to actually go fishing (gas to get to and from water plus motoring around lake will run you like 30-50 dollars an outting)
2) you have a tendency to really know the waters you fish from the bottom up. You learn where hidden structure, weed growth, bottom composition and where and when it changes
3) you meet new people on a regular bases, you can't hide from them but you can ask questions. Start with, on thier way in with, "How the fish treat you today?' good? "What you throwing plastics?" you will be amazed how much they will tell you cause they feel you can't get to thier spot so what the heck.
4) boaters spend over 80% of thier time in a boat tossing lures AT THE SHORE

Finally, you can fish any lure or setup from shore that can be fished from a boat,.
Get some waders, opens up alot of area you can't fish as well from pier. Opens up a huge opportunity to expand areas that were unreachable to you

Lures to start Worms. wacky or texas rigged...wieghtless works well if alot of water vegatation other wise experiment.
Jigs....as said and I agree 1/4 to 3/8 oz. cause you can swim them as well as hop bounce, drag traditionally. I convince myself that the jig is used early to help you learn the bottom structure...this forces you to fish slow and methodical and will drive the fish to bite alot of times.
Cranks...lippless are easiest from shore cause you can rip them through the vegitation and vary fishing depth and retrieval speed easily

topwater...Frogs, hollow bodies and some form of a 'Ribbit' plastic type. If the vegitation allows poppers and walk baits are highly productive.

Lastly there is no almighty secret lure that only works in boat or on shore.
They all work IN WATER. Boat or not, your fishing in the water

Remember, your there to have fun and enjoy nature, so do Exactly that!
HAVE FUN!

Frequent here and after your outings run it by the forum, they will help you tweak and adjust presentations according to that days challenges.
Old 08-10-12, 07:51 PM   #8
Marty

Quote:
I would let the structure and cover around these docks/piers help determine which baits I would use. I can't think of any bait that I own that would be impossible to use from a dock or pier.
Agree 100%.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-12, 12:22 AM   #9
Hoosier
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I own a boat and still love to hit the banks. I fish banks on a regular basis. I feel like my best success is to get some Strike King/Yamamoto senkos wacky rigged no weight and let em fly. I like to take quite a few colors. My best tip would be to get a plano (or whatever brand you have) 3700 large box fill it up with senkos and spend a good day fishing them i think that you will be amazed at how well they work.No need for a huge box to lug around throw some weights and beads and mix up the way you rig them. Give it a shot you wont be let down. One of the BF members here said that 80 or so % of fish are in 8-12 feet of water. Thats right in your wheelhouse.
BTW- Strike King Senkos are 1/2 the yamo price and work just as well
Welcome to the site.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.