Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-12, 02:25 PM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Curado 200E5 for deep crankin

I have a lead on a new Curado E5 for 100 bucks (providing I haven't waited to long); do you think this reel will serve well in the deep cranking realm?

I'm talking 15+ feet...

Thank you!
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-12, 02:30 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbassman View Post
I have a lead on a new Curado E5 for 100 bucks (providing I haven't waited to long); do you think this reel will serve well in the deep cranking realm?

I'm talking 15+ feet...

Thank you!
Absolutely, I go back and forth between an E5 (I have 2 of them) and a Revo Winch. The Curados are great reels, I haven't found a cranking situation yet that it didn't excel in.
Old 08-18-12, 02:38 PM   #3
USMCbassman

See that's where I was at E5 or winch. I have a E7 and absolutely love it, so I know I'll love the E5. I'd be buying it for deep crankin' specifically and just wanted to ensure that it'd excel in this area. I love my Citica for my shallow/medium cranking needs.

Thanks Joe...

What to do, what to do...
Old 08-18-12, 02:46 PM   #4
Jrob78

I can honestly say, I like both reels a lot. They both perform really well. The differences are in ergonomics and price to me. The Winch is larger and doesn't palm as well, it also has a fully removable side plate, whereas the Curado's side plate is hinged, so you can't accidently drop it in the lake. On the plus side for the Winch, it has a longer handle, which I love. If you can still get the E5 for $100 vs $150ish for the Winch, I would go E5. I'm sure you would be happy either way though, as both reels are great. It's a good problem to have.
Old 08-18-12, 03:10 PM   #5
Tavery5

I have both reels also, either will get the job done in good fashion. If you can pick up a good condition E5 for 100 dollars I would jump on it.
Old 08-18-12, 03:10 PM   #6
USMCbassman

I'm going to get a hold of the guy and see if he still has it. He said he's fished it a total of 3 times.

I wonder if it would be feasible to upgrade to a longer handle on the Curado?
Old 08-18-12, 03:16 PM   #7
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbassman View Post
I'm going to get a hold of the guy and see if he still has it. He said he's fished it a total of 3 times.

I wonder if it would be feasible to upgrade to a longer handle on the Curado?
I've never really looked into upgrading the Curado handle, in part because I really like the stock Curado bearing supported knobs. A lot of the aftermarket handles and knobs are very expensive.

Abu is supposed to be releasing handles and knobs in the future to customize reels, including longer carbon fiber handles and eva knobs. I know they will fit on Daiwas, not sure about Shimano. I'm hoping they will be more affordable than what is currently offered.
Old 08-18-12, 03:22 PM   #8
kennethdaysale

+3 on the E5 I've been throwing DEEP cranks with mine for a couple of years...sweet as candy. If you want a nuts and bolts comparison TackleTour did a Shoot Out between the E5 and Winch and a couple more of the most popular low ratio cranking reels. The Shimano won.
Old 08-18-12, 03:31 PM   #9
USMCbassman

Jrob- I hear ya on that, I've looked out of curiosity in past. I'm assuming the longer handle will provide more winching power? As well, I'm happy with the stock handle on my E7.

Ken- I'll look for that article. Thank you, I'd be interested in what they have to say. Not that I don't trust ya'lls opinion here I've been eyeballing the Lew's reels as well, do you recall if they compared that one?
Old 08-18-12, 03:49 PM   #10
Jrob78

Here you go.
http://www.tackletour.com/review2010lowspeedfinal.html

The Lew's weren't out yet when this took place. A lot of people do love their Lew's reels, I haven't personally used one enough to recommend them though.
Old 08-18-12, 04:35 PM   #11
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Here you go.
http://www.tackletour.com/review2010lowspeedfinal.html

The Lew's weren't out yet when this took place. A lot of people do love their Lew's reels, I haven't personally used one enough to recommend them though.
Thank you for the quick assist on this Joe.

I'm trying to convince the wife to make a road trip up North with me to go to BPS and see if they have them plus there are a few things I need to pick up. I'd really try to get on one and fish it. I've read great things about them, but don't know anyone who has them.

When I was watching some earlier tournaments online from the elite series I noticed there were a couple of pros using them (of course they were sponsored by Lew's). Guess I may have to bite the big one and get in on TW's demo program...
Old 08-18-12, 05:10 PM   #12
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I've never really looked into upgrading the Curado handle, in part because I really like the stock Curado bearing supported knobs. A lot of the aftermarket handles and knobs are very expensive.

Abu is supposed to be releasing handles and knobs in the future to customize reels, including longer carbon fiber handles and eva knobs. I know they will fit on Daiwas, not sure about Shimano. I'm hoping they will be more affordable than what is currently offered.

The Abu handles will fit Daiwa, Lews, Pflueger and most of the BPS reels and probably others as well, but they will not fit a Shimano, they have their own design.

Last edited by Tavery5; 08-19-12 at 02:09 AM.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-12, 05:25 PM   #13
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
The Abu handles will fit Daiwa, Lews, Pflueger and most of the BPS reels and probably others as well, but they will not fit a Shimano, they have there own design.
Thanks Tony, that's what I thought but I wasn't sure.
Old 08-18-12, 06:19 PM   #14
mike234
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I purchased a E5 new and before I even put line on it sent it to Pro Reel for super tune.
It has turned into my favorite cranking reel and I can not forsee any situation using crankbaits that it will not perform beyond your expectations.
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-12, 06:33 PM   #15
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Loving my E5s for cranking and worming. The slower reel helps me maintain bottom contact because I am impatient like that.
Old 08-19-12, 02:55 AM   #16
USMCbassman

To much talkin' and not enough action...reel sold before I could get back in touch with the guy.

I'll find another....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.