Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-06, 10:20 AM   #1
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Ocala, FL area

It looks like I will be in Ocala working this weekend. If I can finish up early or stay an extra day I am thinking about trying to fish when I am there. Are there any places to fish from shore there or is it not worth it. I am afraid of any type of alligator so if there is a chance of getting eaten I am not going to take it. Also I have to look into how difficult it would be to take a couple of rods with me on the plane.
At this point I don't know if I will even have time or if will be able to bring anyhting with me, just looking for some information in case it is possible.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 02:56 PM   #2
ironman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ironman

Ask lizard's about that one.
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 03:51 PM   #3
Rodman_Rob

Bender,
What kinda work are you doing and where in Ocala are you working and staying? Just asking to figure out where you can fish. How far are you wanting to drive? Bass fishing from shore in this area is VERY difficult because of the amount of weeds around the lakes. As far as the gators, don't worry about them. If I haven't got bit yet, you won't be, if anybody is due for a gator bite in florida.....its me, lol. Do you know what kind of vehicle you'll be renting? Car or Truck? Depending when you're going, I might be able to take you fishing to a honey hole in the Ocala National Forest.

Last edited by Rodman_Rob; 09-11-06 at 04:28 PM.
Rodman_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 03:57 PM   #4
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
Ask lizard's about that one.
he lives in Ocala for a month, catches 15 lunkers over 17lbs in less than a week, and now he's famous. I live here almost all my life, find and fish over 200 lakes in the Ocala National Forest, outfish lizards at Rodman, and I get no respect (Rodney Dangerfield accent)
Old 09-11-06, 04:21 PM   #5
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Talking

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 04:27 PM   #6
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
lol, can't quit laughing
Old 09-11-06, 07:38 PM   #7
lizardsrule

ROTFLMAO,

Rodman, it just takes a few Hawg's and you get respect LOL, and you keep forgetting "I" got you to those fish, and you lived there forever rotfl.

Bender,
Rodman does know the area much better than I do, he could be a good guide. If you have a day to fish, and would like to go to MY HAWG hole, I'd be happy to take you if I can arrange it. I need a date though, so I can see if we can arrange it. The gators seem to a lot safer to me when I'm in a boat LOL. And Rob you're welcome to join me there anytime. You did catch the fish, so I know you can fish.

Lizards
Old 09-11-06, 08:26 PM   #8
flbassman

Delancey and Kerr are the easiest to get to and put a boat in. I wouldn't worry too much about the gators, they're usually harmless, but if you're scared and want nothing to do with them, I'd suggest a spring/ spring run. This here is some hard fishing, gin clear water, 72 degrees yeaer round, but it's too cold for all but a few gators, they don't get big, and you can spot 'em a mile off. If that's what you go with, I'd use flourocarbon leader, six pound test and a small, weightless or lightly weighted 6" curl tail worm in red shad or pumpkinseed. Good luck.
Old 09-11-06, 08:28 PM   #9
flbassman

Just reread, you're fishing from shore.... You can rent canoes at salt springs run, but if you don't have time, you're best bet is to leave the forest, find a neighborhood (you can look on google earth or just cruise) and fish some retention ponds. Might not catch a lunker, but you might, and you have a great shot at 3-5 pounders, a good shot at 6-8 and decent chances of 8+.
Old 09-11-06, 09:34 PM   #10
Rodman_Rob

yeah yeah yeah, I've caught quite a few hogs......except they're all skinny from dumping their eggs, yeah I know, excuses excuses. who's ever heard of a 26" fish weighing 6lbs, thought that bass was on jenny craig, weight watchers, AND southbeach.

I was out by your hawg hole this weekend. Went camping/fishing out at Chain of Lakes (not Harris Chain, just a small lake in the Forest). Saw a Bear crossing 19 as if he was heading towards Wildcat for dinner. We definately need to get together at wildcat one of these days, I wanna see this electro-shocker zap some lunkers......oh yeah, you call it a fluke I call it 240volts I know your tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
ROTFLMAO,

Rodman, it just takes a few Hawg's and you get respect LOL, and you keep forgetting "I" got you to those fish, and you lived there forever rotfl.

Bender,
Rodman does know the area much better than I do, he could be a good guide. If you have a day to fish, and would like to go to MY HAWG hole, I'd be happy to take you if I can arrange it. I need a date though, so I can see if we can arrange it. The gators seem to a lot safer to me when I'm in a boat LOL. And Rob you're welcome to join me there anytime. You did catch the fish, so I know you can fish.

Lizards
Old 09-11-06, 09:42 PM   #11
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbassman View Post
Just reread, you're fishing from shore.... You can rent canoes at salt springs run, but if you don't have time, you're best bet is to leave the forest, find a neighborhood (you can look on google earth or just cruise) and fish some retention ponds. Might not catch a lunker, but you might, and you have a great shot at 3-5 pounders, a good shot at 6-8 and decent chances of 8+.
unfortunately they have fences around hte retention ponds around here. I do know of a stock tank he can go to if we aren't able to get together.
Old 09-11-06, 10:09 PM   #12
Bender

I am thinking of coming down Friday afternoon. I have to work Saturday morning early and all day and the same for Sunday. I have to be finished working on the machines by Sunday night for third shift to start so Monday I will have free. I plan to fly out of Orlando late Monday, I could possibly make it Tuesday though.
Last time I was there I stayed at the Hilton right in Ocala and that orked out pretty well. I need to figure this out pretty quick so I can order a rod carrier tomorrow since it looks like Northwest will allow you 2 rods. $98 round trip is pretty good too.
Are you available any time on Monday Rob or Lizards? I appreciate all of this information, thanks.
Old 09-11-06, 10:18 PM   #13
Rodman_Rob

dang, I gotta work monday. I can give you directions to one of my favorite stock tanks, its one of the few places around here where you can fish from shore and actually move around, most places are so overgrown with weeds around the lake its hard to get to. I'll get you mapquest directions as I just know how to get there, don't know hte names of all the roads. It will be about a 20-30 minute drive from the Hilton depending on traffic. I might be able to swing by there monday after work.

$98 round trip? Is your seat on the wing or something? seems dirt cheap for a flight.
Old 09-11-06, 10:47 PM   #14
Bender

Thanks Rob. What do I have to do for a license in FL? I wonder if a tackle bag can be a carry on?
Old 09-11-06, 10:57 PM   #15
Rodman_Rob

I didn't tell ya this but nobody will ask for a fishing license at the stock tank. fished it hundreds of times and nobody has bothered me yet......except for one lady who thought it was a good idea to stand too close while I was tossing crankbaits. I'm not positive but an out of state license is $30 or $50 and you can get them at WalMart or online at https://www1.wildlifelicense.com/fl/ If that link doesn't work, go to http://www.myfwc.com and then click Purchase License. If you're only going to be fishing 1 day, I wouldn't bother and just play dumb if a wildlife officer asks for one.
Old 09-11-06, 11:22 PM   #16
Rodman_Rob

As far as Aligators go, there are a couple in this lake but they are both under 4 feet, its a residential area around the lake so they keep the gators out. The spot you'll be fishing is actually at a community recreation center. There is some open water for crank, rattle traps, jerk baits, and other long casting trebled baits, lots of brush, lots of weeds, especially in the canal, some deeper water with dropoffs close to shore and shallow water too. I've pulled my biggest......errr longest fish outta this lake, 26" which typically is a 10 pounder, but I caught it post spawn so it was SKINNY and only 6 lbs. I've seen 8 pounders come outta there and heard of a 9 pounder, 10 pounder, and 12 pounders coming outta there. As far as water clarity, its not muddy, its not stained, its not gin clear but somewhat clear. Either a thin braid is good, or even a heavy fluro. I usually have luck on natural colors.
Old 09-12-06, 06:57 AM   #17
lizardsrule

Bender I'll check to see if I can make it monday, but no promises. Next time give us some more notice LOL. The lake I would take you to is WIldcat which is about a hour or so from where you will be staying. Or we could just hit the Oklawaha(SP) river just outside of town.

Lizards
Old 09-12-06, 06:37 PM   #18
Bender

Well I am flying into Orland Friday evening and then out Monday at 5:30. I rented an SUV just in case there are some places that are hard to get to. Also I bought a "Bazooka" rod case for the flight, it should be here tomorrow, I am curious to see how well it works.
So basically Monday morning is about all the time I will have to fish. That is if everything goes well over the weekend but I am 85% sure that I will be able to finish on Sunday.
If Monday morning works for anybody please let me know, or if you can even let me know where to go I would appreciate it.

Most of the lakes up here are really clear so I use floro most of the time anyway. Any suggestion on what baits to bring? I am looking forward to fishing someplace new to me, even if it will only be for 6-8 hours or so.
Old 09-12-06, 08:31 PM   #19
lizardsrule

Sorry man but I gotta work monday If it changes I'll let you know. My 4 best baits have been a NetBait Baby Paca Craw in green pumpkin, with a 1/8oz bullet weight pegged, and of course the Fin-S Fluke(any superfluke will do) in Alewife fished weightless. A t-rigged senko in Black or Green 5" weightless, or a Zoom trick worm in black or junebug fished weightless. I know you can find some ponds around there, but Rodman would be the best source since he's right there, I only spent about 2 months in Ocala. I really do like the area, maybe you want to move down there permantly . I can tell you there aint no ice in the winter rotfl. Hope this helps, hopefully Rodman can hook you up better as to some spots. If my schedule does change I'd love to go fishing with ya

Lizards
Old 09-12-06, 11:10 PM   #20
Bender

I used to live in IN also. Same thing up here. Luckily I happen to have baby paca craws in that color, alewife flukes, dark senkos, and my new MMIB black trick worms. I like soft plastics. Thanks for the tips lizards, I will bring those. No creature/lizard baits?
Old 09-13-06, 06:54 AM   #21
lizardsrule

Yes they both work, but everyone got tired of me pushing the Lizards rotfl.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.