Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-05, 08:15 PM   #1
airmcnair8888
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to airmcnair8888
Default Shallow?

Just went to a local lake, Lake Arthur.

Caught 4 bass. Biggest was 16in. Caught the first 2 around 1-3PM. Seemed like we only had luck in the shallows and under docks, especially where the sunlight meets the shade.

I mean It was hot out but all the bass we caught were still in the shallows.

Any comments
airmcnair8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-05, 08:17 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Some fish will always stay shallow. You found the key, though-shade.
Old 08-25-05, 08:40 PM   #3
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

my own experience is that a lot more bass stay shallow than people think. Anytime there is shade in shallow water, like a dock, bass will usually always stay there...and its even better if there is deeper water nearby. Docks generally move out towards deeper water, so I think thats why they are usually always an effective fishing spot.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-05, 09:18 PM   #4
KH.
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i always look for a big tree and throw a whieghtless lizard and get one or two,its wierd sometimes i was trolling in the deepest part of the lake with a buzzbait and caught like three!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-05, 04:57 PM   #5
Brad_Coovert
BassFishin.Com Member

I have not caught a fish any deeper than 6' all summer. In fact, most of the fish weighed in this summer by my club in our tourneys have all been shallow. It has been an odd summer for me. I usually tear 'em up a crig on deep stuff, but that bite has been non-existent and non-necessary as I have caught a ton of them shallow.

Brad
Brad_Coovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-05, 07:04 PM   #6
Marty

Our area has fish shallow all summer. The fact that it was hot out shouldn't really be that important, it's the water temp that's more critical. Right now it's in the mid-70s in smaller bodies of water and I wouldn't think that it's that much different where you are.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-05, 07:31 PM   #7
Raul

I wouldn´t fish deeper water right now, there´s nobody there, it´s the time of the year when termoclines occur keeping the fish above 15-12 ft deep.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-05, 10:36 PM   #8
Brad_Coovert
BassFishin.Com Member

Marty, that's what has been odd IMO. The water has been in the mid to upper 80's, near 90 at Raccoon. Yet, the fish were still up shallow in the afternoon sun.

No complaints here though. I'll take all the fish I've been catching in the shallows!

Brad
Old 08-31-05, 07:33 PM   #9
Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_Coovert
Marty, that's what has been odd IMO. The water has been in the mid to upper 80's, near 90 at Raccoon. Yet, the fish were still up shallow in the afternoon sun.

No complaints here though. I'll take all the fish I've been catching in the shallows!

Brad
I agree. But those are pretty high temps for where you are, aren't they? Our water got to the mid-80s, the highest I can recall offhand. Usually it tops out in the 78-82 range for the smaller waters.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-05, 07:53 PM   #10
JB

We fish two lakes up here (Indian and St. Marys) that are nice size, but most of the fishing is always shallow.(1-7 ft deep)

ya see a lot of dark murky water, and lots of guys will use a black and chartruse plastic to get the job done
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-05, 09:29 PM   #11
Brad_Coovert
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty
I agree. But those are pretty high temps for where you are, aren't they? Our water got to the mid-80s, the highest I can recall offhand. Usually it tops out in the 78-82 range for the smaller waters.
If we get several hot days in the 90's, it is not uncommon to have water in the 88 - 90 degree range by the afternoon in areas of the lake where it is stained. This year I have had many days when the water started out at 82-83 and ended up at 87-88. This summer has been a hot one compared to others in the past. Last year we had no official days in the 90's. This year we had many of them. I know my AC business was much busier this summer than many of the past ones.

Brad
Old 08-31-05, 10:29 PM   #12
flfireman

The key is shade. Most of my fish have been pulled in shallow 1-3 ft, only constant here- small ones under the light patches of lily pads, larger ones almost at shorline deep under the overhanging trees and built up pine needles. Will only admit this once so dont ask me to repeat it. I HAVE BEEN TEARING UP THE FISH WITH A 6" LIZARD. Thats right a lizard, havent even put anything else on a line in 2 months.
Old 08-31-05, 11:23 PM   #13
H2O
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My buddy caught a 15" LM in about 2 feet shallow from bank, when he did a falling rate test of his 5" dinger.

I believe that some bass are always in shallow! IMO, you find some shallow area do hold some bass, you cast your lure(doesn't matter what kind) and catch some "average size" bass. and then IF YOU FIND THERE IS A HOLE (DEEPER) IN THE AREA, CAST IN IT. GREAT CHANCE YOU CAN CATCH ONE OR TWO MUCH MUCH BIGGER BASS, specially in shallow water near bank.
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-05, 11:41 AM   #14
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Raul's point is correct about the oxygen and temp stratifacation. There are always some fish shallow in the summer. The fish will migrate from shallow to deep during the day usually during low light periods or at night. On lakes that have very little draw down or no draw down the fish will stay around docks much of the year. They use the shade created by the dock as cover to help ambush thier prey. Black bass are actually sun fish and are cold blooded. The effect that water temps have on them is more one of activity level and metabolism than comfort. They do not experience cold or hot the same way we do. When water heats up and the fish leave it is because of low oxygen or poor PH.When the fish retreat from the shore to deeper water it is often a factor of light penetration. That is why you often catch fish deeper in very clear water than you do in stained water. Fish2win
Old 09-02-05, 08:13 AM   #15
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

ive only caught a few fish deep this whole summer. most of them were in the shallows.
Old 09-02-05, 08:37 AM   #16
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman
. I HAVE BEEN TEARING UP THE FISH WITH A 6" LIZARD. Thats right a lizard, havent even put anything else on a line in 2 months.

Nothing else to say is there

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.