Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Foam or Cork?
Cork for sure! 11 68.75%
Gotta' be foam bro! 3 18.75%
Who the heck cares? 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-10, 10:54 PM   #1
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Cork or Foam?

Which do you prefer, why, and what do you feel are the pros and cons of each?

For me it depends on the rod, but usually I prefer cork. Why; I like the look and the feel of it. I like how the colors degrade over time and take on a look of age and use.

I really only like foam on pier/ocean rods. Cork doesn't stand up to the salt so well.

I just bought a P-grip caster that is foam, and I must say it feels and looks pretty good IMO. So I suppose that is an exception to the rule for me, because I don't really care for foam on straight handles.

Last edited by BassFeverJohn; 05-31-10 at 11:01 PM.
BassFeverJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 08:52 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For me, All of my rods are cork right now, but I wouldn't mind a foam handled rod. However, if it's foam it almost has to be split grip. Some of the higher end bass rods with black foam look great.

BB
Old 06-01-10, 10:24 AM   #3
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I was 100% cork til i saw an episode of some fishing show with Denny Brauer talking about Flippin Jigs. He mentioned that when cork gets wet it gets really slippery as when foam gets wet it does not... so he preferred foam on his flippin/pitching rods... and it shows... i want one of his signature wreckin stix from american rodsmith, and it is foam handled...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 10:33 AM   #4
BassinNC

im a cork guy, the only foam rod i have is the vendetta and i really like it tho.
Old 06-01-10, 11:50 AM   #5
islandbass

I really like cork, but I don't mind using a rod with foam grips either.

I also think that as with cork there are also different grades of foam too. My first rod, which I dubbed my "walmart special" had foam grips, but they got really slippery when wet. I imagine that the foam on rods like a cumara or brauer's rod will probably perform better when wet.

Another advantage of foam is that when it's dirty, you aren't going to see it. When cork gets dirty it is noticeable off the bat.

One of my rods has a graphite handle and I really love it. It always looks new and is very easy to clean if I ever have to clean it and I have not to date. I have noticed that while it looks slippery, it isn't, even when wet. It's only disadvantage is minor and not a show stopper. It adopts the outside temperature so if it is freezing outside, my hand will feel that cold on the handle until the heat from my hand counters it. It is a slightly uncomfortable minute.

So for me, I like all three I mentioned and depending on how each is used, they can really make a rod look great aesthetically yet be simultaneously functional .
Old 06-01-10, 12:35 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
I was 100% cork til i saw an episode of some fishing show with Denny Brauer talking about Flippin Jigs. He mentioned that when cork gets wet it gets really slippery as when foam gets wet it does not... so he preferred foam on his flippin/pitching rods... and it shows... i want one of his signature wreckin stix from american rodsmith, and it is foam handled...
Actually, the Wreckin Stix from AR are not foam handled. It's been a while since I read the article on them, but I believe it's similar to or the same as the rubber they use on golf club handles.

BB
Old 06-01-10, 03:54 PM   #7
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
Case in point I recently almost lost a Carrot stix micro series rod because i had the rod jerked out my hand by a fish. It was pourning down rain and I had just sprayed bang scent against the wind and it had gotten all over me. I got the rod back that time (due to my quick ability and no hesitation to jump overboard) but 3 weeks later and i lost the rod to the depths of dale hollow.

Oh and the worst part was I didnt get the fish I hooked. We were in clear water and i saw the fish and casted to her. She bit and i set the hook... and never pulled her... but she pulled me. Would have probably been a new PB and lake record if I wasn't so slippery.

Last edited by TN_Bassin; 06-01-10 at 04:00 PM.
TN_Bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 04:58 PM   #8
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Foam may be lighter, but I don't care to have a hefty rod. Not Ugly Stik hefty though lol. I like a good 'ole cork handled rod. Straight handle, no split-grip. And not a real long handle, 7"-8" on the grip's fine for me. I'd really like to find some more 7' rods with shorter grips...
Old 06-01-10, 05:17 PM   #9
Jim80

Mostly cork except for the carrot stick

Jim
Old 06-01-10, 05:22 PM   #10
walkeraviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwater Charlie View Post
Foam may be lighter, but I don't care to have a hefty rod. Not Ugly Stik hefty though lol. I like a good 'ole cork handled rod. Straight handle, no split-grip. And not a real long handle, 7"-8" on the grip's fine for me. I'd really like to find some more 7' rods with shorter grips...
Im with you on straight grips.. never liekd teh feel of split grip in my hand...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 05:34 PM   #11
bamabassman

had both and cork is better in my opion.
Old 06-01-10, 05:38 PM   #12
bassinbob

I like cork more than foam. I really would like to try those American Rodsmiths rods with the golf grip. Sometimes either with cork or foam the rod feels like it might sail out of my hand due to arthritis. It did happen this weekend but thankfully it only went a few feet in front of me and I was fishing from the bank. It was a cork grip and it was dry.
Old 06-01-10, 05:51 PM   #13
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
had both and cork is better in my opion.
Bamabassman, could you please explain why cork is better, in your opinion?
Old 06-01-10, 05:57 PM   #14
WaffleJaw

The rubber handles rods seem like they could rub your skin raw after multiple cast...Plus rubber is a good conductor of heat..Pick on up after its been on the deck in the summer sun...ouch!
Plus I dont think it will hold up to many years of weathering....Golf handles crack and tear over time.

As far as cork and eva go.....Its all personal preference.
The differences are very insignificant imo.
Both will last long with proper care.
This of course is debatable and always will be.

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 06-01-10 at 06:10 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 07:43 PM   #15
zooker

cork... screw the split grips and power humps give me straight up long cork handles..

zooker
Old 06-01-10, 09:21 PM   #16
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

All but one of my rods have cork handles. The exception is a BPS carbonlite. So far I've had no issues with the handle as far as grip goes. I was concerned about it absorbing heat from the sunshine but haven't noticed any issues but then again I'm in Michigan and it rarely gets above ninety here so I think it'll be a non issue for me.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 09:38 PM   #17
bamabassman

ssippiboy...........CAUSE I SAID SO! now go get some new batteries for the troller, bwahahahahahahhaha!

PERSONALLY, i just like the feel of a cork handle for real. as for cork getting slippery when wet, foam does too. and the felt wears off too quick i think.

is that a good enough answer for you? hehehehe.

Last edited by bamabassman; 06-02-10 at 05:19 PM.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 10:07 PM   #18
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
ssippiboy...........CAUSE I SAID SO! now go get some new batteries for the troller, bwahahahahahahhaha!

PERSONALLY, i just like the feel of a cork handle for real. as for sork getting slippery when wet, foam does too. and the felt wears off too quick i think.

is that a good enough answer for you? hehehehe.
Never seen a sork handle before...
Old 06-02-10, 05:19 PM   #19
bamabassman

hahaha, thanks fever. changed it for you.
Old 06-02-10, 05:48 PM   #20
bassboogieman

I've always preferred cork - until. I still have some with cork handles and I was really leary of the handles on these rods until I used them a bit. As I said I love the feel of cork, except when it's raining. It gets slippery. These handles are wrapped in a thread of some kind, has a rough texture if you really try and feel it, otherwise it's almost unnoticable. In the hand it feels firm like cork but the grip is really good - especially when wet. I really have come to like these handles - YEAH, wouldn't ya know it, I like it..... so they have been changed to cork on the 2010 model. I just can't win. I fished two days on the Potomac in April in steady rain, and not once did I have any difficulty with griping the rod.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 06-02-10 at 05:54 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-10, 06:04 PM   #21
nofearengineer

Man.....those rods, with their "kitten scratched" grips sure do look familiar, Boogie.
Old 06-02-10, 06:28 PM   #22
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
hahaha, thanks fever. changed it for you.
Awwww man.... I thought it was cool.
Old 06-02-10, 06:34 PM   #23
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I've always preferred cork - until. I still have some with cork handles and I was really leary of the handles on these rods until I used them a bit. As I said I love the feel of cork, except when it's raining. It gets slippery. These handles are wrapped in a thread of some kind, has a rough texture if you really try and feel it, otherwise it's almost unnoticable. In the hand it feels firm like cork but the grip is really good - especially when wet. I really have come to like these handles - YEAH, wouldn't ya know it, I like it..... so they have been changed to cork on the 2010 model. I just can't win. I fished two days on the Potomac in April in steady rain, and not once did I have any difficulty with griping the rod.
Do you have a website for those rods? I'd like to know about them.

Thanks!
Old 06-02-10, 06:50 PM   #24
Bassboss

Probably cork, it looks sick as heel in a split grip rod! But I can't really say for sure, I've never had a rod with some good EVA foam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
For me, All of my rods are cork right now, but I wouldn't mind a foam handled rod. However, if it's foam it almost has to be split grip. Some of the higher end bass rods with black foam look great.

BB
Think real hard... what foam rod do you have?? C'mon, don't tell me I know your gear better than you!
Old 06-02-10, 06:57 PM   #25
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassFeverJohn View Post
Do you have a website for those rods? I'd like to know about them.

Thanks!
Here ya go, it's the older kistler rods.

http://www.google.com/products?q=kis...N&hl=en&tab=wf

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.