Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-10, 09:00 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default BPS Crankin Stick rods.

BPS will have their Crankin Sticks on sale soon and I was considering getting one for my large deep diving crankbaits. I was looking at the 7 foot MH power, but two things concern me. I know this rod is very popular with some of the fellas in here, but I would prefer a moderate action instead of a fast action. I know thats a little subjective between brands. One companies fast action might be a little slower or faster than another companies fast action. All the crankin sticks are listed as either a fast action or xtra fast, which goes against what is supposed to be the prefered action, which is medium or moderate. The other concern I have is that BPS changed the crankin sticks for 2010. They arn't made the same as the earlier versions which may not be a good thing. Looking at the BPS website and reading about the crankin sticks, I read the customer reviews and many were very unhappy with the crankin sticks. Several complained about thier new crankin sticks breaking while fighting a fish or setting the hook. So I thought I would see if anyone in here had purchased a new 2010 version Crankin Stick, and if so, how's it performing? And would you have a different rod altogether you would prefer to use?
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 08:56 AM   #2
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I bought a 2009 Crankin' Stick on sale last year, and I am glad I got it last year. For the 2010 model they changed the reel seat to the newer version that I don't like.

However, let me say this. I bought the 7' M Fast Action for throwing shallow running baits (Strike King 1, DT-4, DT-6, Shallow Bombers, RC 1.5) and while it was great at cranking in open water, the rod performed poorly around weeds. I like a cranking rod to have enough backbone to rip the bait clear of the weeds, and the Crankin stick did just not have it.

I made up my mind that I did not want any glass in my cranking rod, so I changed to the Field and Stream Tec Spec Cranking Rod, and it is perfect for what I wanted it to do. I also tried throwing some deeper baits (DT-10, Strike King Series 5 and 6's) with it and it handled them well, along with all my shallow baits. The F&S rod is a 7' Medium Power with a Moderate Action. It is by far the best cranking rod I have used so far.

Ryan
Old 06-04-10, 06:36 AM   #3
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I love the 09 cranking stick but don't like the new ones. I bought one and sold it shortly. Just felt cheap to me and I would classify the fast as more medium.
Old 06-04-10, 02:24 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

it has a hump it aint worth diddly... i hate...LOATH the bps power hump. great rod blanks pos handle design...

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.