Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-10, 08:39 AM   #1
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Spinners are ruined...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Once you get used to a baitcaster, you won't want to fish with a spinning reel anymore, lol. Congrats on breaking in the new rig!

BB

Yup. The truth is, it hasn't taken me long to get used to it. I have got the casting down. My thumb seems to be a natural. I have good accuracy already. I have had a few backlashes, even a couple of nests. I even had two big nests this morning from banging off the underside of a bridge, but I have been able to get them all out in short order with no loss of line. BTW: I switched over to 30lb braid, and it is way better than the mono, plus I got most of my beloved sensitivity back that I was so used to from my UL rig.

And that brings me to the UL rig. Oh man, you guys have got to tell me they make a UL bait caster! I already can't stand using my spinning gear. I am heart broken. I loved, LOVED, that UL rod & reel. Now I don't even want to look at it. I am actually considering a spin cast reel for UL stuff. I just don't want to use the spinner. It feels so awkward now. I just don't know what to think. I don't want to give up using UL tackle. I love it, but I don't know if I can use that reel after the caster.
Old 06-14-10, 09:15 AM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Okay, Anthony...time for you to chime in with the price tag on a Daiwa Pixy.

John, you're not gonna like this.....
Old 06-14-10, 09:25 AM   #3
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post

I googled it.

I am thinking maybe if I get a ultra light rod and the lightest caster I can find, loosen it up all the way, then maybe I can cast the UL stuff on like 6lb braid.

Okay, bust my freaking bubble.
Old 06-14-10, 09:27 AM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I carry two spinning rods and only because I need them. if I could, I'd fish all baitcasters. As for your sensitivity problem, braid will help a great deal, but so will a graphite rod. Heck, even a $30 BPS Graphite Series rod will give you better sensitivity over and ugly stick.

Fortunately, there are a couple options in "finesse" baitcasters. Unfortunately, all of these are going to cost you.

Undoubtedly the best finesse baitcaster, that some say is completely capable of replacing a spinning reel for bass fishing, is the Daiwa Pixy. A few downsides to the pixy: it's is a Japanese Domestic Market (or JDM) reel. This means you'll have to have to buy a used one, or order it from one of the few Japanese tackle websites.

The second downside is it's going to be expensive. There are a few models to chose from, some more expensive than others. the new 2010 Pixy PX68 will run you $450 new, and I doubt you can find a used one yet. Unfortunately, because they are like collector items, some of the older ones (like the 2004 model) will cost you about what they were new for a good condition one.

Another option, which isn't as good as the Pixy is the Daiwa Sol (or JDM Dawia Alphas). The Sol runs 250 new, but they're getting harder to find. It's rumored Daiwa is discontinuing them.

One last choice, which still isn't as good as the pixy, and probably not quite as good as a sol for casting really light baits, in the Shimano Core 50/51mg7. This will run you about $370 (I think) new.

As for rods, I don't believe any companies make an UL baitcasting rod, but if you look hard enough and are willing to spend the cash, you can get a good ML, or maybe even a L power rod. I know Kistler used to have some ML rods, but I don't know if they still offer them. Dobyns Rods offers both a ML and a L in their high end Champion Extreme series, both going to cost you $300.

If you want cost effective, stick with spinning gear. Most of us greatly prefer baitcasters, but use spinning gear because it is necessary.

BB
Old 06-14-10, 09:28 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post

Holy crap, you're good!

BB
Old 06-14-10, 09:42 AM   #6
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
I carry two spinning rods and only because I need them. if I could, I'd fish all baitcasters. As for your sensitivity problem, braid will help a great deal, but so will a graphite rod. Heck, even a $30 BPS Graphite Series rod will give you better sensitivity over and ugly stick.

Fortunately, there are a couple options in "finesse" baitcasters. Unfortunately, all of these are going to cost you.

Undoubtedly the best finesse baitcaster, that some say is completely capable of replacing a spinning reel for bass fishing, is the Daiwa Pixy. A few downsides to the pixy: it's is a Japanese Domestic Market (or JDM) reel. This means you'll have to have to buy a used one, or order it from one of the few Japanese tackle websites.

The second downside is it's going to be expensive. There are a few models to chose from, some more expensive than others. the new 2010 Pixy PX68 will run you $450 new, and I doubt you can find a used one yet. Unfortunately, because they are like collector items, some of the older ones (like the 2004 model) will cost you about what they were new for a good condition one.

Another option, which isn't as good as the Pixy is the Daiwa Sol (or JDM Dawia Alphas). The Sol runs 250 new, but they're getting harder to find. It's rumored Daiwa is discontinuing them.

One last choice, which still isn't as good as the pixy, and probably not quite as good as a sol for casting really light baits, in the Shimano Core 50/51mg7. This will run you about $370 (I think) new.

As for rods, I don't believe any companies make an UL baitcasting rod, but if you look hard enough and are willing to spend the cash, you can get a good ML, or maybe even a L power rod. I know Kistler used to have some ML rods, but I don't know if they still offer them. Dobyns Rods offers both a ML and a L in their high end Champion Extreme series, both going to cost you $300.

If you want cost effective, stick with spinning gear. Most of us greatly prefer baitcasters, but use spinning gear because it is necessary.

BB
They have a UL Shakespeare trigger rod that I believe is meant for spin casters at wal-mart. It's a cheap rod. I think $8, but to be honest my UL combo was $15. I have never owned expensive rods or reels, and if I am going to it will be in the bait caster area. I will likely not invest in expensive UL gear until, or if I start competing. I suppose I will just muddle through with my UL spinning gear.

I realize that the ugly stick is not the most sensitive rod out there, in spite of what Shakespeare says about it, but honestly, I like it. I want a carrot stix, but that is a ways off for me. I just don't have the money now. It was hard for me to buy what I did. I am happy with the ugly stick. Plus the braid has really made the difference. I just don't like mono.

I guess I was just venting (or whining).
Old 06-14-10, 09:53 AM   #7
Bassboss

Quote:

BB
For shame biggins, for shame!

He left one out!

BPS ProLite! They discounted these last year. I hear they cast weightless stuff well. And is also a very good reel for the money (I think the MSRP was around 60-80 bucks?), you can find them on ebay for around 50. I was gonna get one but found a better deal on a spinning combo.

As far the action. I say forget about all the ML, UL, L, M, stuff. And go to a tackle shop some where (or make way down to BPS, Orlando), and start getting stick off the shelf and whipping them around, checking out the actions and powers of 'em. One I can name right off the bat and have used, is a Cabelas Spinning bait right. It's rated MH, but has a very slow tip. I'm sure it would be great for casting weightless stuff. And if I remember right, the Tessera rods (skeet reese sig) top water rods have a nice slow action as well.

No one shoot me!
Old 06-14-10, 03:18 PM   #8
screwballl

Good luck and have fun... my problem is the opposite, Baitcasters have never worked well for me and I have much better luck, sensitivity and usage out of my spinning rods so thats all I use anymore.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 06:37 PM   #9
bamabassman

and.......................BAM! BAIT MONKEY STRIKES AGAIN! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Old 06-15-10, 02:01 AM   #10
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I hear you and I am sorry you're now aware of what a pixy is.

I prefer to use casting reels when possible, but I will not hesitate to use my spinning gear when it is the better choice. As BB144 says, he carries his spinning setups out of necessity.

I see reels as tools and while many times these tools can perform well and maybe equally for many applications, there will be those where one will shine over the other.

For example, when I'm drop shotting something 1/4 oz or less I prefer a spinning set up. Can I cast 1/4 oz on my casting reels? You better believe I can. Shoot, my curados have successfully casted 1/8 oz things. However, I still choose the spinning rig at that class. Why? Because a spinning reel delivers the bait to my intended spot a heck of a lot faster, more conveniently than a casting reel. When the bail is open, I get my bait to drop vertically, I simply leave the bail open until the it hits bottom. Now if I did this with a casting set up, although minor, it's a frickin' peeve of mine that I actually have to strip off line to achieve the same fall. No, I'm not lazy, but I don't like to waste time or effort.

I think we all go through that, "gosh darnet, I love bc reels so much that I'd toss out my spinning reels if I could." I know I did, but then practicality and reality set in. The right tool for the right job also makes for more fun fishing in my book. The day I go 100% casting is the day I'm left with size 5 rapala floating minnows, a casting reel with 17# mono, and a blustery day with 40 mph gusts from every direction. Yes, I'd still fish, and from the shore, but it isn't going to be ideal.
Old 06-15-10, 02:52 AM   #11
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
I hear you and I am sorry you're now aware of what a pixy is.

I prefer to use casting reels when possible, but I will not hesitate to use my spinning gear when it is the better choice. As BB144 says, he carries his spinning setups out of necessity.

I see reels as tools and while many times these tools can perform well and maybe equally for many applications, there will be those where one will shine over the other.

For example, when I'm drop shotting something 1/4 oz or less I prefer a spinning set up. Can I cast 1/4 oz on my casting reels? You better believe I can. Shoot, my curados have successfully casted 1/8 oz things. However, I still choose the spinning rig at that class. Why? Because a spinning reel delivers the bait to my intended spot a heck of a lot faster, more conveniently than a casting reel. When the bail is open, I get my bait to drop vertically, I simply leave the bail open until the it hits bottom. Now if I did this with a casting set up, although minor, it's a frickin' peeve of mine that I actually have to strip off line to achieve the same fall. No, I'm not lazy, but I don't like to waste time or effort.

I think we all go through that, "gosh darnet, I love bc reels so much that I'd toss out my spinning reels if I could." I know I did, but then practicality and reality set in. The right tool for the right job also makes for more fun fishing in my book. The day I go 100% casting is the day I'm left with size 5 rapala floating minnows, a casting reel with 17# mono, and a blustery day with 40 mph gusts from every direction. Yes, I'd still fish, and from the shore, but it isn't going to be ideal.
I spent a few hours thinking about this as I was not catching fish this evening (I was doing plenty of fishing, just no catching ), and I came to the conclusion that what I need to do is clearly define the role of each rod, noting new I know, and I think that helped me to relax a bit on the spinning gear. I actually allowed myself to enjoy using it this time around. I think what really got me was just wanting to use my new gear, and not the old stuff. I want to rack up some catches on the new rod, not add more to the old one. Kinda childish, I know. Anyway, I think defining each rod's role help me see them as the tools they are. That is how I see my camera equipment, my bass gear should be no different, right?
Old 06-15-10, 03:33 AM   #12
islandbass

Yep. As I mentioned, I think many of us go through that after getting a taste of using a casting reel so you're on track. After I got my first curado, my first set up, which I dubbed "my walmart special" starting looking uglier and less desireable. Shoot, it seemed to even gain weight and feel like a brick. All in the mind.

I still have the rod, but the reel went kaput, after I tried to maintain it.

What you're going to learn is that for practical "all around" coverage, we bass anglers can get by with at least three rods.

A) One to handle finesse applications (medium light to medium powered rod)
B) One to handle treble hook lures (medium powered rod)
C) One to handle single hook lures (medium heavy to heavy)

This is a minimalist approach in which technique specific is off the table.
I would prefer spinning for the first one, and the last two most likely baitcasting. There might also be some cross over among these rods too and that is alright.

Rod A could handle the lighter things like smaller weightless plastics, wacky rigs, drop shot and small shakeys, and small cranks and poppers.

Rod B could handle up to medium cranks, top waters, smaller buzzbaits and spinnerbaits, senkos and other weightless plastics and bigger (but not too heavy) shakeys, and wacky and deeper and heavier drop shot, etc.

Rod C could handle your larger t-rigs, jigs, larger spinner and buzzbaits and carry out pitchin' duties.

So that's not everything but it is a lot and definitely sufficient for general bass fishing enjoyment and a decent starting point from which one could branch out with technique specific stuff.
Old 06-15-10, 12:11 PM   #13
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post

A) One to handle finesse applications (medium light to medium powered rod)
B) One to handle treble hook lures (medium powered rod)
C) One to handle single hook lures (medium heavy to heavy)

couldn't agree more , I carry 1 spinning reel that is a 7' m/l for the reel light stuff that i don't toss on a caster and then the rest of my casting rods are played out between m to h .

Jim

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.