Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-10, 11:16 PM   #1
jbiasin
BassFishin.Com Member

Question general questions

Recently I have been having a lot off bass miss my top water crazy craler when thr go to bit it.....does anyone know how to fix this problem??? Any topwater methods or lures that you would recomend?? What's the best way to fish in the summer for bass, or what are some techneques that are effective this time of year??? What's the best way to fish for bass on a sunny day as compared to over cast or partly cloudy??
jbiasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-10, 01:15 AM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

When they keep missing my top water, I will do three things.
The first is add a trailer hook to my bait. This helps with the short strikes. The second is switch to a weightless fluke or other soft jerk bait. I still work it like a top water, but give a few pauses to allow it to sink. The third thing is to have a second rod handy with a senko tied on. I get a lot of fish by tossing the senko into the spot where they just missed.
You may also want to slow down your retrieve and give it some pauses on the way in
Old 06-18-10, 06:48 AM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm not sure where you live but if the spawn in still going on and your working your lure accross the tops of the beds, they may be just trying to chase off the intruder and not really taking the bait into their mouth. After the spawn is over I bet your hookup ratio goes up.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-10, 11:09 AM   #4
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Yes to both of the above responses:

A) It may be a bit early for a topwater bite, IMO. If you want to fish on top anyway, switch to a fluke and slow down.

B) ANY time I throw a surface bait, I have a senko, fluke or other big bulk plastic on a second pole and throw it at a strike that misses the topwater and just let it fall. I'd guess I get bit on the plastic 30 -40% of the time that I do that.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-10, 11:25 AM   #5
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Im with these guys... i usually just switch to a slower topwater application... i missed one this week on the buzz bait, wish i had tied on a zara spook to follow up with, that has always worked for me... i like the idea of wake baits, swim baits, and flukes worked real slow when teh topwater seems to be happening but they arent feeling energetic enough to plow my buzz bait...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.