Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-08, 10:43 PM   #1
rangerryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Power reeds?

ive been thinking about replacing the factory reeds in my 200hp johnson venom with power reeds. i was wondering if anyone has done this? or if it will help the horse power much? or what the cost is? just want a little advice.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-08, 05:28 AM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Reeds are a great investment if your looking for a quicker acceleration. Another huge plus is the idiling quality when you got say Boysens in the motor.There is NO appreciable hp gain by the addition of reeds but your motor generally lives a much healtheir and happy life.
Old 07-24-08, 06:44 PM   #3
rangerryan

thanks a bunch. you wouldnt happen to know how to get a little extra horsepower would you.
Old 07-28-08, 01:52 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

who.laser? dude you have hit on the right man here. laser can make your boat into a screamer ifn you got enough $$$$. just wait, he'll hook you up.......GOOD.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 03:04 AM   #5
1FASTLASER

Thabks for the vote of confidence there bama. Ranger yes there are a few tricks up my sleeve fer ya. It does depend on how much bang ya want. Before we get involved in this I do want to warn you...........1 If you have any warranty on your engine it will void the warranty 2. You will HAVE to run premium fuel to keep her healthy THIS IS A MUST 3. Water pressure will have to be NO LESS THAN 15psi . If you are ok with this then you can do a few things and really wake her up. First thing I would do is tighten the heads up and have them CC'd. Not really expensive but alot of bang for thebuck. WHILE having the heads off then would be the time to put the Boysens in and also rejetting of the carbs and tuner work is in order. These 3 things will make that Venom VERY POSINOUS. Ifn ya want to further this gimme a holler and I can direct you to the right places to get said parts and/or services. In hard figures your loooking at 25+/- horsepower and acceleration that will make your noise bleed.
Old 07-29-08, 09:18 PM   #6
rangerryan

what do you mean by ccd? I am definately interested in making this motor a screamer. also do you have any good excuses that i can give to my wife to justify this. i have been thinking of putting a larger motor on this boat but it would then be uninsurable. the warraty has expired but the motor is practically like new my dad has kept it garaged for the past 4 years while i was away at college. he gave it to me as a graduation present....so.... now that i got the boat i need to figure out what to do with my degree.
Old 07-29-08, 10:44 PM   #7
WTL

Just a guess but I took the abreviation to mean compression checked...could be wrong though.

Whats your degree in?
Old 07-29-08, 11:37 PM   #8
bamabassman

no....tooo easy......NO!!! won't do it!!! hahahahaha.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 06:22 PM   #9
rangerryan

agriculture/business
Old 07-30-08, 09:17 PM   #10
WTL

OU or OSU or other?

You have a better degree than me for sure. Poli Sci wont get you nothing except the privilidge to apply to law school.
Old 07-31-08, 10:29 PM   #11
rangerryan

northwestern oklahoma state. but im working in the oilfield for my dads company and my degree is bein wasted.
Old 08-02-08, 06:23 AM   #12
1FASTLASER

Ok cc'd is having the combustion chambers made all the same............for instance say you measure all the chambers using a CC burret (I think I got the name right) after measuring all the chambers you take and using the correct end grinder tool and knowing where to remove material in the chamber you make all the chambers the same. Of course you have to take the one that is the largest and on the rest yu remove enough material as to make all the chambers equal to that one. Now lets say you have all the chambers at 38 CC's.............now using a formula that tells ya how much you need to take off the heads (cutting the heads) you remove the material using a milling machine to take the heads down to 34 CC's. I have to check but I if memory serves me right you dont want to cut any more than this or you will be foreced to buying HIGH octane fuel and that will cost the crap outtaya. 34 CC's on a OMC motor and 32 CC's on a merc is the bottom line before having to buy high octane.
As far as an excuse " Honey I have to have the heads milled. I got the motor hot Saturday while fishing and now the heads are leaking. Gotta gettem milled so they will seal off again" LMAO I got a million of them.
Old 08-03-08, 01:17 PM   #13
rangerryan

got it might just have to give it a try

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.