Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-09, 03:41 PM   #1
jigfishinkid
BassFishin.Com Member

Default eagle claw wide gap hooks

i hate these hooks i never get a good hookset and lose a bunch of fish is i just me or has any one else had this problem
jigfishinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 03:56 PM   #2
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

There can be a big bunch of reasons why you are not hooking the fish, your rod may be too forgiving, your line may be too stretchy, your drag may be too loose, your timing may be wrong, the hook may be dull, the bait is too hard and the hook can´t penetrate it easily, the hook may not be sharp enough, the hook may be too heavy ( thick ) and so on.

It´s very easy to put the blame on the product when many many times the blame is on you, I´ve fished with Eagle Claw hooks for many years and I still have a bunch left and I keep fishing with them, I´m not going to say they are bad, they are good hooks however they have been slowly replaced ( as I run out of a style or size ) for better hooks and the best hook out there after trying several brands ( Mustad, Gamakatsu, Daichii ) IMHO is Owner.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 04:19 PM   #3
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Eagle Claw is one of the cheaper brands. Stick to Gamakatsu or Owner.
Old 08-18-09, 04:44 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i personally hate eagle claw hooks. they are cheap, dull easy, bend easy, and break easy.

as far as top of the line hooks go, i think it's a ford chevy debate which boils down to personal opinion becase they are all good. the top 3 right now are mustad, owner, and gamakatsu and some would add vmc in there as well. i am interested to see what trokar hooks are all about.......they may end up being the best hook ever or they may be one of those companies that you hear all about for a while and then they fade away, time will tell.

for me i choose mustad ultrapoint. we use them on our jigs and i use them for plastics as well. they are very very sharp and just don't dull. never had one break and it takes a lot to straighten one out. i also replace all my treble hooks with triple grips and they are my favorite treble hooks i have ever used.
Old 08-18-09, 04:55 PM   #5
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
i personally hate eagle claw hooks. they are cheap, dull easy, bend easy, and break easy.

as far as top of the line hooks go, i think it's a ford chevy debate which boils down to personal opinion becase they are all good. the top 3 right now are mustad, owner, and gamakatsu and some would add vmc in there as well. i am interested to see what trokar hooks are all about.......they may end up being the best hook ever or they may be one of those companies that you hear all about for a while and then they fade away, time will tell.

for me i choose mustad ultrapoint. we use them on our jigs and i use them for plastics as well. they are very very sharp and just don't dull. never had one break and it takes a lot to straighten one out. i also replace all my treble hooks with triple grips and they are my favorite treble hooks i have ever used.
Since I haven't been able to find anything but Gamakatsu at my local Gander or Dicks, that's what I use. It works good enough for me. I haven't lost a fish yet that I felt a good solid hook set on. All of my lost fish seem to be on factory hooks on cranks and such.
Old 08-18-09, 05:15 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For worm hooks, I use Gamakatsu or Owner. I don't know if I'm gonna try the Trokar hooks (although, with the monkey, I don't really have a choice if I am or not), but they are made by Eagle Claw. And extremely expensive.

BB
Old 08-18-09, 05:18 PM   #7
JB

back in the day those ol Aberdeen hooks were the only thing I knew, they rusted in your box if it was dewy out, then got dull if they snagged anything, but back then I didn't know any better. I went with Owner during the 90s and last ten years its all gammys.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 05:49 PM   #8
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
back in the day those ol Aberdeen hooks were the only thing I knew, they rusted in your box if it was dewy out, then got dull if they snagged anything, but back then I didn't know any better. I went with Owner during the 90s and last ten years its all gammys.

Your showin your age old boy.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 10:52 PM   #9
EastTexas
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Eagle Claw works just fine for me!

Eagle Claw works just fine for me!
They are my go to hooks!!!
EastTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 05:39 AM   #10
gamecockbassman
BassFishin.Com Member

I use eable claw and they work fine for me i dont boat every fish i hook but i do bring my fair share
gamecockbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 08:05 AM   #11
toppwatr

Use gamakatsu. Its only like 1$ price difference and they're better. Honestly I hate eagle claw for plastic worm fishing. I don't mind it for baitholders though
toppwatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 09:48 PM   #12
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

in my opinion the mustad ultra point is the best hook for most of the plastics i use but gamakatsu comes in 2nd... i used to use the lazer sharp hooks but theyre too thin and bend really easy
Old 08-21-09, 05:31 PM   #13
jigfishinkid
BassFishin.Com Member

i switched to owners and havent missed a fish yet
jigfishinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-09, 10:31 PM   #14
Bender

We use Mustad UltraPoints for our jigs as well, no complaints at all. For worm though I like the heavy wire Owners with the cutting point, those things are scary sharp! Also I prefer Owners for the shaky heads I pour, they seem a little sharper.
As far as Eagle Claw goes, the only ones I have used are the Lazer Sharp Wide Gap hooks for drop shotting. Caught lots of fish with them, no complaints.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 08:08 AM   #15
Mac2

I sometimes use Owner's Rigging Hooks, a rounded verson of a wide gapper....
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-09, 01:50 PM   #16
flfireman

Have others, but the majority of mine are Eagle claw. Have little problems with them.
Old 08-27-09, 02:39 PM   #17
Bassboss

I don't mind them to much! But No they're not as good as gammies or owner. They are however my second choice in cheep hooks next to mustad!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.