Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-09, 07:50 AM   #1
northernfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Cool Weather and techniques

Hi everyone i am new to fishing and this forum.What are the best techniques
to use on a sunny,calm and windless day?I was out at my fishing hole one
day and had a day like this and was unable to get a bite all day.I used alot
of different lures but was unable to nab a fish.I usually see fish on the pond
but not this day.
northernfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 09:18 AM   #2
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If the water is clear fish a little deeper with a dropshot, trickworm, shaky head, something slow. keep trying until you find something that works. If its muddy just get some 1 oz tungsten screw on weights and a craw or creature bait and go flippin trees or grass up shallow youll get one eventually
Old 12-09-09, 11:23 AM   #3
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernfisher View Post
Hi everyone i am new to fishing and this forum.What are the best techniques
to use on a sunny,calm and windless day?I was out at my fishing hole one
day and had a day like this and was unable to get a bite all day.I used alot
of different lures but was unable to nab a fish.I usually see fish on the pond
but not this day.
What kind of water conditions?..More details would help tremendously!
Old 12-10-09, 07:18 AM   #4
northernfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

The water conditions on the lake were very clear that day.
northernfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-09, 08:16 PM   #5
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
What are the best techniquesto use on a sunny,calm and windless day?I was out at my fishing hole one day and had a day like this and was unable to get a bite all day.
First, any day when the water is ice-free could be sunny, calm and windless. There could be a big difference whether you were fishing cold or warm water. Second, I wouldn't draw conclusions based on one outing.

My experience is based on warm water (55° or warmer). Conventional wisdom says that the conditions you describe are poor for fishing. However, conventional wisdom is not something you can take to the bank. I would not rule out anything. I've had excellent days under those conditions and been skunked when conditions are supposedly favorable.

In fact, I've had great topwater action on many warm, sunny afternoons. The bottom line is to keep an open mind and realize that we can't reliably predict what the fish will do on any given day. Therefore, it's necessary to try different approaches until and if you can learn something about what's happening on that particular day.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-09, 11:11 PM   #6
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You've just described some of the toughest fishing conditions there are. I hate days like that. Suck it up and keep experimenting is all I can tell you---and pray for some wind or clouds.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 05:42 AM   #7
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

In my personal experience when you have bluebird skys and aren't dealing significant stain the fishing gets "tight". by tight I mean the fish move closer to structure. I usually get all or most of my bites on a low and slow method on clear days. Try to flip or pitch to structure and cover, particularly shaded areas around docks, laydowns, and points. If the fish aren't there go deep and try a drop shot, shaky head, or tube jig. look for any surface chop or current and you will probably find fish. I also seem to find fish right on sharp drop off points in 12-25 feet. Fishing can be tough, but any bites you get will be rewarding because you will have earned them. The hottest fishing will most likely be in the morning on top, or just under the surface. My favorite areas are rip-rap or grass flats.

P.S. fish don't have eyelids, they don't seem to like direct sunlight.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-09, 02:04 PM   #8
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If I know ahead of time that I am going to be fishing conditions like you described, I'll try to be on the water early before sunup and use a surface bait like a Jitterbug. Once the sun is up, I'll still work the surface, but with a bait that has a little less action, such as a Baby Torpeo, and use long casts. Also be sure not to cast a shadow on the areas your casting to. If the surface bite slows, I'll start working the deeper edges of weedbeds with crankbaits. I'll also be working a medium size spinnerbait right through the tops of those weedbeds. I can't tell you how many good sized bass have about torn my rod from my hands on bright sunny days slamming into my spinnerbait worked through the weed tops.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.