Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-08, 04:53 PM   #1
hughes0301
BassFishin.Com Member

Default what next

i got a 1990, 19 foot javelin with a 150 mercury xr4. when i got it it would not idle. i cleaned the carbs but it still will only run bout forty five.and sometimes it hesitates on planing out. what do i do next.
hughes0301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 08:03 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

45mph out of a 19' boat with a 150.......there are a lot of factors at play when it comes to speed. like prop pitch, motor height, jackplate or no jackplate, full of fuel or low on fuel and the list keeps going. is this 45mph number coming from gps? i ask because that sounds like quite a bit of boat for a 150 to push. i am sure laser and the rest of the boys will chime in soon and help you out because i am no marine mechanic.
Old 07-22-08, 05:33 PM   #3
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'd check compression and leak down to see if'n you have a motor problem
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 10:02 PM   #4
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

All I can say is 45 mph aint chopped liver. It might seem a bit slow for that combination, but I differ to what others will say on projected speed.

I saw on another board a guy with a 16 ft V hull, like a lund or something, wanted to know what was wrong with his motor because it was a 9.9 and he couldnt get it to plane. The obvious answer was the problem with his motor was that it was clamped on far too big a boat to expect to go very fast.
Old 07-22-08, 10:59 PM   #5
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Did you clean OR replace ALL filters? How about checking for accumulated crud in the gas tank? Plugs? Always use a fuel stabilizer, such as SeaFoam(TM).

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-08, 05:19 AM   #6
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ok folks first things first. Carolina get's the cookie on this one. A 19ftr with a 150 is a job, I aint saying it cant be doe but be warned you aint gonna bew first to the fish. The way you have described it.........saying it has a problem getting on plane and 45 mph there is a few questions that need to be answered fore I will make a recommend. What are the rpms at this speed???? What kinda prop???? Is she sitting on a jackplate????? How deep is the motor?????? Lets get some info before we have him turning wrenches possibly in the wrong direction.
Old 07-23-08, 10:32 PM   #7
rangerryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

it doesnt matter what the Horse Power is if its a Johnson.
just kidding the rpms that you are spinning is definatly the biggest question. for example if your spinning 6000rpm and the boat wont plane out you probably have a pitch/jackplate adjustment problem but if your motor wont spin 5500-6000 you have a motor problem.

rangerryans rule with johnsons doing the pushing........... DONT RUN OVER LASERS MERC. LOL
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.