Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-09, 06:20 AM   #1
dramone
BassFishin.Com Member

Question jigs with relegated eyelets

i never figured out, why at some jigs the eyelet is relegated and not on the tip (front of head) of the jig head...

What are the advantages/differences of such an eyelet position? the eyelet angel of the hook itself is/are the same, as well as the jighead "style"...
dramone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 09:53 AM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramone View Post
i never figured out, why at some jigs the eyelet is relegated and not on the tip (front of head) of the jig head...

What are the advantages/differences of such an eyelet position? the eyelet angel of the hook itself is/are the same, as well as the jighead "style"...
I am no expert on jigs, but just applying physics, I would assume jigs with the eye on top of the head are intended to be fished more vertically than those with the eye on front. Those I would think are meant for either bottom crawling or swimming. Just a guess.
Old 08-25-09, 12:28 PM   #3
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

There are a lot of different angles available. Some jig meant for swimming or cranking have an almost inline eye or up to 28-30* eye to make them run straight. Most flipping style jigs are 60* eyes and a lot of tube jigs have 60 or 90* eyes. Also you can get inline eyes or eyes at a 90* angle with the hook. I think a lot of that has to do with getting the jig to come through rock or weed better.
Some jig have the eye molded into the head for further protection from hanging up:

If you look around you can pretty much find any angle or position you can think of in jigs.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-09, 07:54 AM   #4
dramone
BassFishin.Com Member

thx Bender!

could it be, that it has something to do with the eyelet to line angel? i.e. if you are fishing from a boat or from shore?
dramone is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.