Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-09, 09:46 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default What are y'alls go-to worms for Texas rigging in cold water?

It's getting a little colder hear on a regular basis, and I know that curly tail worms, like what you would use most of time are not as good because they have a lot of action; and nothing in cold water has a lot of wiggle and jive!

So, I'm thinking about trying some straight tail worms. Right now I'm thinking about a 5, or 7 inch pack of Berkley power bait shaky worm. I like that they float, and I love that sent they have!! I'd like to stay away from using my spinning rig because it's rod is not sensitive.

Water temps are in the fifties and sixties.

What are y'alls go-to worms for Texas rigging in cold water?

Last edited by Bassboss; 11-29-09 at 05:33 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-09, 12:05 PM   #2
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If you believe that a curly, ribbon, or paddle tail worm won't work in 50-60 degree water then don't use one. Go ahead and throw the shakey head.

(yes you should read the above with a slight amount of sarcasm )

I haven't seen enough scientific data on the subject matter or negative personal experience to keep me from using them.
Old 11-29-09, 01:47 PM   #3
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
If you believe that a curly, ribbon, or paddle tail worm won't work in 50-60 degree water then don't use one. Go ahead and throw the shakey head.

(yes you should read the above with a slight amount of sarcasm )

I haven't seen enough scientific data on the subject matter or negative personal experience to keep me from using them.
I got that from here. http://www.bassfishin.com/videos/fishing-player.php?v=3

I would assume to that the same thing applies to worms, as trailers with jigs in cold weather.
Old 11-29-09, 04:20 PM   #4
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

jig, drop shot with a small weenie worm, carolina rig with trick worm, skaky head with trick worm. and also flippin because i think that sometimes the water by the grass up shallow is warmer.
Old 11-29-09, 07:02 PM   #5
3dkicker

Is Kevin spreading those rumors again???

I've been fishing the river for the past 15 years in November with water temps between 48 and 57 degrees and we've seen plenty of bass caught on curly tail worms. Matter of fact the person who has won the most club "Classics" catches his fish on a curly tail worm. People also catch them on plenty of other plastics too including straight tail worm. This year we had a mix of fish caught on creature baits, curly tail worms, and straight tails. Is one better than the other???
Old 11-29-09, 09:08 PM   #6
bamabassman

Personnaly i don't think that there is a "cold water worm" or a "warm water worm" At least not around here. Now the color thing is what i look at most of the time and that depends on the clarity of the water. The action you give the said worm is what makes the difference i think. Just my 2 pennies worth.
Old 11-30-09, 09:23 AM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Bassboss, cold water to kevin and "cold" water for you are two different things. Like #d said, 50-60 degrees and the curly tails should work great. My favorites are Powerbait's 7" powerworm.

I think what Kevin is talking about as cold water is below 40* (we pulled the raft in our pond in saturday, and the thermometer said 43*), or even right after ice out (ice is more than something we put in our drinks around here.

BB
Old 11-30-09, 01:59 PM   #8
WTL

Bassboss, throw what works for you. Florida really is different. I have fished there in late October and the lure of the trip then was a ribbon tail worm in redshad. That has also been the lure of trips I have taken down there in months like August, June and March. Hairjigs and finesse worms are more likely to get lost in the muck if you have a lot of plant matter.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-09, 05:03 PM   #9
Bob Smith

I'm just amazed that the water in "Southeast Florida" ever sees the 50's and 60's!

I like throwing finesse worms in clear water and "curly" tails and ribbon tails in stained water, pretty much in any temperature except the low 40s and upper 30s (I've never done any ice fishing and it's not on my schedule in the foreseeable future!LOL). When the water gets really cold I like throwing slow falling jigs/pork jigs/craw trailers. I also like throwing the smaller finesse worms like 3" and 4" straight tailed worms on drop shot in the deep clear rocky lakes.

Fishing water in the 50 and 60 degree range is really my cup-o-tea because there are a number of soft plastics working, in a variety water conditions, at that time.
Old 12-01-09, 08:54 PM   #10
aikenyounggun

Its funny you bring this up, I went fishin today and the conditions are basically the same. I thought about throwin a trick worm but i found these Yum Muy Grande Grub ( http://images.ebsco.com/pob/lurenet/...yGrub_18_l.jpg ) and since these little ponds have been shut down (mainly cause I fished em so hard for a year) i thought this tiny grub with a small tail would work. Sure enough I caught one, which at these ponds is good, they just have disappeared recently. I was only down there for like 45 minutes too. But I would just throw a zoom trick worm and see how you like it.
Old 12-01-09, 09:57 PM   #11
BeaverIslander

In the cold water of late fall, I toss a 10" Ribbontail Powerworm quite a bit. Black/blue fleck and watermelon with a little red dye near the head are the colors I have luck on.

They work as jig trailers too. Bigger fish like that big meal sometimes.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 12:38 PM   #12
Randy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs up The go to worm rig

6" Black grape /green glitter - ribbon tail by Gambler......Texas rigged with a screw in florida rig 1/8 oz black bullet. Mustad 1 o/o straight hook. Glass rattler. Work it as slow as you can and then slow down.......
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-09, 08:56 AM   #13
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslander View Post
In the cold water of late fall, I toss a 10" Ribbontail Powerworm quite a bit. Black/blue fleck and watermelon with a little red dye near the head are the colors I have luck on.

They work as jig trailers too. Bigger fish like that big meal sometimes.
Wow, I would have never thought of that! To me it would seem like the smaller would be better! I think I'll have to try that one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
Its funny you bring this up, I went fishin today and the conditions are basically the same. I thought about throwin a trick worm but i found these Yum Muy Grande Grub ( http://images.ebsco.com/pob/lurenet/...yGrub_18_l.jpg ) and since these little ponds have been shut down (mainly cause I fished em so hard for a year) i thought this tiny grub with a small tail would work. Sure enough I caught one, which at these ponds is good, they just have disappeared recently. I was only down there for like 45 minutes too. But I would just throw a zoom trick worm and see how you like it.
How long was the grub? Seems like it would work pretty good on a jig head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
6" Black grape /green glitter - ribbon tail by Gambler......Texas rigged with a screw in florida rig 1/8 oz black bullet. Mustad 1 o/o straight hook. Glass rattler. Work it as slow as you can and then slow down.......
Sounds really, really good! I love Fl, weights but, but they're pretty
'spensive! I'll have to settle for a pegged weight.
Old 12-05-09, 12:07 PM   #14
aikenyounggun

bassboss, that grub is tiny, I used it cause the ponds have been shut down and its mainly really small fish cause of they stocked it like 2 years ago. So most of the fish are like 8 inches or less. The grub part is probably like 2 inches max (probably 1.5) and a tail that is maybe an inch. Haha.
Old 12-13-09, 09:30 PM   #15
Backwater Charlie

Bass Pro Shops' Tournament Series 4" and 6" worms have little curl tails on them but they work good for cold water bass. Rig them up with a 1/16oz bullet weight and fish them SLOWLY.
Old 12-14-09, 06:42 PM   #16
pig n jig

There was a guy from California that made hand poured worms.I bought tons of them because they worked extremely well for me.Well it seemed a person placed a 7 thousand dollar order and got stiffed.Last I knew there was lawyers involved and it looked to be getting ugly.It's a shame but life goes on.

I reserve my remaining hand poured baits so now my go to cold water bait on a near regular basis is a Yamamoto 3.5" tube bait in color #23.It's one tough tube bait,holds up to multiple catches without tearing easily.It's a small profile that is required for the colder temeratures.If I'm not using the Yamamoto tube,I am using a compact downsized jig.I managed to be bull headed for several years but when given a chance to fish with a local who fishes in the elite series,I am learning new things again.Ivan
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.