Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-09, 03:32 AM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Info from a SwimBait Seminar

I stopped by my local tackle shop this evening to drop off a reel for a tune up. When I got there they were just begining a seminar with Mike Long. For those of you that don't know, Mike Long is considered one of the premier swimbait fishermen in the world. He holds most of the lake records for San Diego with the biggest being 20lbs-12 Oz. So, when he talks about Swimbaits, I listen.

A couple of things jumped out at me.

He only uses mono.
He said that there are a lot of folks that use flouro and it works for them, but he prefers mono. For baits less than 6", he uses normal bass gear and throws them on 8-12 lbs. On his bigger baits, he throws between 12-18bs. He said that he only uses 20-25 lbs on long line presentations such as trolling.

He uses far more soft bodied baits than hard bodied.
Most of his fish have come off of soft bodied baits being fished like a jig. He said that hard bodied baits have their place, but he really only uses them in low visibilty condtions.

He downsizes hooks a lot.
He was showwing us his modifications to bait like his Huddleston Trout. This is an 8 inch bait and he uses a size 6 hook. He has a fairly elaborate technique where the hook is attached vith a couple of swivels, split rings, and a magnet, but his hooks are tiny in comparison to the bait.

He drop shots swim baits.
He will watch his electronics and when he finds where they are suspended, he drop shots at that depth. (I have never thought of drop shotting an 8" swim bait.

All in all it was a good seminar. I did not win the raffle's top-prize. A Dobyn's swimbait rod, but I did get one of the new catch-22's and some other softbaits from it.
Old 12-20-09, 03:43 AM   #2
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Wow! thanks for the info cass, is there any way you could elaborate on how he rigs his hud's a little more?
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 07:17 AM   #3
muddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thanks; Mike Long is the best big bass hunter on the planet,Take a look a some of the top 25 lists ;IGFA<ESPN and such: He has more individual certified bass over 15 lbs than anyone period. Those Cali Big Bass Guys are a different breed .

I love his remark about using 8 to 12 lb teast mono, theres an internet hero here that chastised 2 others for doing that same thing!
On the other hand I hold more dink records than anyone on the planet

Last edited by muddy; 12-20-09 at 12:25 PM.
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 08:59 AM   #4
BeaverIslander

Sounds like a cool seminar. People know his name for good reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
Wow! thanks for the info cass, is there any way you could elaborate on how he rigs his hud's a little more?
The magnet is attached to the body, and holds the treble tight against the body so the hooks are pointed straight forward. This is to increase the hook-up ratio.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 09:19 AM   #5
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Wow! His swimbait rig sounds more like a spinner-bait rig to me!

Did he give a reason for using such light line with his swimbaits?
Old 12-20-09, 12:39 PM   #6
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
First he puts a small wood screw into the foam component of the body. He uses the screw to for the magnet.
He connects a barrel swivel to the front to the bait with a split ring. He then connects another barrel swivel and finally the hook.
The hook rests on top of the magnet and usually points forward. On the strike, the bait releases from the hook which reduces the chance of the hook being thrown.
Old 12-20-09, 12:45 PM   #7
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Wow! His swimbait rig sounds more like a spinner-bait rig to me!

Did he give a reason for using such light line with his swimbaits?
I would guess that it is because there have only been 12 bass recorded over 20 lbs??
Old 12-21-09, 08:18 AM   #8
danielbasspro

OHHHH so that's why waffle jaw said I was a young Mike Long. I had no clue who he was until now. lol
Old 12-21-09, 10:06 AM   #9
muddy

Hey Daniel; that is a very big compliment! I would suggest you go to Mikes Page,he is very informative. I belonged to a forum that he was a member of and he really is accessible and he is one of the best!
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.