Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-05, 02:07 PM   #1
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default fishin clear water

i went this morning down to badin. blue bird sky, very clear water conditions,big high pressure system over nc, and NO wind. not excatly my first choice of ideal fishing conditions. i got a cat fish on a devil horse at day break. worked farther out from the bank than normal . found my most consitant spot has a new boat dock smack on top of it.-said few choice words- caught 1 keeper bass on a deep runner shad rap. in this area had better luck from the brush pile in 13 feet of water. and a demon claimed another victim. busted out the x-rap and yanked a short fish from a rock pile.about 10 am i ran to the docks catching 1 on the x-rap and one on a weightless super hog in pearl under a dock. big fish of today was 2.5 or so.but water clarity was 6 feet -i could see the super hog 6 feet down on the bottom. it was a challange casting a spinning rod 40-50 feet to skip a bait under a dock. normally i am 10-12 feet or less..

zooker
Old 10-30-05, 03:34 PM   #2
Rebbasser

Ran into gin-clear water yesterday. I was in my boat and Nitro911 was in his fishing in the same area. He got a 4 pounder on the first or second cast on a spook, then the topwater bite died and we went with weightless soft plastics-I thought the spinnerbait bite would be on-water temp ranged from 66 to 71-but no takers. Managed to get 5 or 6 in the boat, missed a couple more with the biggest about 2 lbs. Fun to get out, though-great day for fishing. Thinking about it after the fact I wish I would have tried a pointer over the grass flat we were fishing.
Old 10-30-05, 04:42 PM   #3
JB

Ran into real clear water all weekend, I am getting new respect for those
western anglers that fish clear waters all the time, but up here the lakes are tad more shallow. Ohio lakes are generally shallow, and right next door in Indiana (about 10 minutes from the house) the bodys of water are generally over 20 ft easily.
I ended up finesse fishing with a 4 inch FLW red shad / salt with 3/16 bullet.. but no fish in the boat...
I have been looking at strike kings catalog for spinnerbaits ,does anyone order from them or do ya go to BPS or same retail stores like wally world?
JB
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-05, 06:44 PM   #4
Fishie
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Just got back from the lake that I slayed them on that was new and I managed about 16 fish in 8 hours of fishing. I caught one on a jitterbug, couple on a rattle shad and 4 on a brush hog type bait. Got one on a 12 inch junebug worm. Lake Had a really bad algae bloom or something which seems weird it was peasoup green and I wanted to get away from it and to some deeper water. I think with the temperature droping fish have moved of the flats and docks I was catching them on last week and are out deeper docks and stuff that I can't get to from the bank. Biggest was around 2 pounds. The bigger ones have to be on deeper structure or points possibly. Good wheather today anyway. Won't be too long till the lakes start icing up around here. I would say another 2 weeks.
Old 10-30-05, 08:02 PM   #5
zooker

jb
49sports.com e-mail me will buy and ship -savin the s&h charge..

they have about 90% of strike kings products. and all of zooms plastic's -not there cranks-they have a bunch of stuff .please note the web master is on vaction-it aint me-

zooker
Old 11-04-05, 11:31 AM   #6
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Zook I fish real clear water almost all the time, The part about no wind and blue bird skys was a big deal. The blue bird skys indicate a high pressure situation. That often puts the fish deeper or tight on cover. Once the effects of the pressure start to change the smaller fish become more active faster. My approach is usually to fish deeper below the light penetration zone which may be 10 or more feet depending on how deep you can see the bottom. I look for deeper brush or drops with stumps.Some type cover that the fish can use to hold to. I also go to a slower type presentation where I can leave the bait in the strike zone longer allowing the fish more time to react.A drop shot can be deadly in this situation depending on the depth you have to work with. The no wind hurts also. It seems like even on overcast days no wind can put the fish down. I always use 6 or 8 pound low vis lines , make very long casts and try to avoid any sudden movements that may attract the fishes attention to me or the boat. On the days that I find the fish shallow I may place my boat close to the shore amd make long parrallel cast to the bank. This gives me a better advantage for hiding from the fish. Also baits that are translucient ,clear or maybe smaller than you expect in stained water may work better.Bass can see much further in the water or looking out of the water than you can. Stealth is very important in these conditions. Fish2win
Old 11-04-05, 04:35 PM   #7
zooker

yeah fish i know. i switched my braid reel off and went with reel loaded with 25 pound ande in back country.-this aint the first time badin has pulled this stunt- seeing it was 35 degrees i was bundled up like a blizzard was approachin during the first run.it got up to 80 that day..water temps were in the 65+ range..and it was just a tad FOGGY!!!! like not able to see my hand in front of my face foggy....

zooker
Old 11-04-05, 06:08 PM   #8
JB

We had real bad fog here mid week, couldn't see the bank lol
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.