Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-09, 08:40 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default I hate Walmart...

Yet I still shop there , only because we have nowhere else in my town but a CVS to offer any competition , and yes I still grocery shop at our hometown IGA.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/2009090...08599192069800

Nobody can stop them , they seem arrogant.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-09, 08:43 PM   #2
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I love Walmart! And I have them, Target, Meijer and Kmart to choose from. Well.....not where I live..here we have Ben Franklin lol. But in Traverse City, where I work, we have plenty of options
Old 09-09-09, 09:02 PM   #3
WTL

Its funny, I was reading that exact article before I logged onto bf.com.

Walmart is a victim of their success. The reason they are so tough to beat is because they are so amazingly cheap.

They are the apex predator of retail.

But if evolution can teach you something, its that there are always other niches available.

This is very apparent if you think in terms of the fishing section. All walmarts have pretty similar lines. Eagle claw hooks, ugly sticks, storm cranks, some rapalas, zoom plastics.

What must a small tackle shop do to compete?

A few things. First; LOCATION! Walmart is a pain to run into, especially in urban areas.

But the second I don't think tackle shops do enough of. They should avoid the brands and styles of gear walmarts carry like the plague. I'm not gonna pay $5 for some eagle claw 3/0s when I can get a pack at walmart for $3.
Instead of eagle claw, sell mustad and owner. Instead of rapala, Bandit. Instead of zoom, local poured worms. Instead of ugly stick, allstar.
That creates a reason to walk in the door. And no matter how hard walmart tries, it will never be able to carry every brand and style of fishing gear. So to any owners of smalltime tackle shops, be very aware of what your local walmarts have and deprive them of the head to head competition on those items.
Old 09-09-09, 09:21 PM   #4
bassboogieman

Wall Mart is the bain of small, independent business. The are a small business, small town killer. A super store was built to anchor a shopping center a couple miles out of our little town. Wall Mart killed two chain grocery store, the local hardware and a mom & pop corner convienience store is less than two years. The shopping center they anchor - half the stores are closed. I won't step through the dorr of Wall Mart.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-09, 09:24 PM   #5
nofearengineer

I have very mixed feelings about Wal-Mart.

Their business model is ridiculously efficient and effective. Manufacturers BEG to get on their vendors list. They offer their products at low prices that everybody loves.

My problem with Wal-Mart is that they don't only kill off competition for the brands they sell...they kill off the other brands they don't sell.

Typically, Wal-MArt will move into a town and start selling Widget Brands A and B. The Mom and Pop store down the street sells brands A, B, C, D, and E, albeit at higher prices than Wal-Mart. No problem, right? Those of us who like A and B will just go to Wal-Mart, and those of us who like brands C, D, and E will continue to go to Mom and Pop's place.

Unfortunately, that is not how it works. Wal-Mart starts selling A and B at prices so low that some people who like C, D, and E are willing to switch just for the lower price. Pretty soon, Mom and Pop go out of business. Now, those people who don't like brand A and B have no more choice in the matter. Usually, this is the point where Wal-Mart cuts its staff back to the point where customer service is a distant memory. Come on, who here hasn't walked into a Wal Mart at 6:30 on a Friday night and seen 4 out of 36 cash registers in operation, and angry customers waiting in line 30 minutes or more (my personal record was 51 minutes...I almost felt like I should have been at a Beatles Reunion concert).

The free market is about delivering the best product to the customer at the fairest price. Not delivering an acceptable product that 60% of the population tolerates to 100% of the population at the lowest price and standard of service imagineable. When retailers start impacting product selection rather than just price, it's gotten too big.
Old 09-09-09, 09:24 PM   #6
MallenManson

Nicely done, WTL. I've actually come to love my local bait shop lately. Backcast Fly Shop. It's where I get my spinnerbait blades, in fact, as well as the fishin spots that are producin. Really enjoyable people to deal with vs a department store drone
Old 09-09-09, 09:29 PM   #7
1/4 stick

Yea WTL, smaller tackle shops have to go with the specilty items and things walmart doesn't carry. Even offer services like rod building, reel cleaning and repair.
Old 09-09-09, 09:38 PM   #8
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Nicely done, WTL. I've actually come to love my local bait shop lately. Backcast Fly Shop. It's where I get my spinnerbait blades, in fact, as well as the fishin spots that are producin. Really enjoyable people to deal with vs a department store drone
A department store drone that you love right ? You said it first .
Old 09-09-09, 10:51 PM   #9
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I bout had a breakdown in there a while back after I brought Flea home from the hospital. I went to get her meds after we had Carson and I couldn't find my driver's license so I took, what I thought was the next best thing, my passport. The lady told me it was not a valid identification. After running on fumes for the past 3 days, I bought went through the roof. I hardly ever show emotion in public but I snapped. Finally the other lady came up and looked at the cashier and said it's OK. I wanted to fly across the counter like Bo on the General Lee. Well that is my Walmart vent.
Old 09-09-09, 11:05 PM   #10
Christopherkeene9

http://peopleofwalmart.com/
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 04:18 PM   #11
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopherkeene9 View Post
No go Christopher.
Old 09-10-09, 05:08 PM   #12
cassidyta

I think the site is down following a potential lawsuit. CNN had an article on it last week.
Old 09-10-09, 05:56 PM   #13
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopherkeene9 View Post
I just got done looking thru all the pics....thats some funny stuff, but it just looks like a normal day at our Walmart too....lol
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 06:15 PM   #14
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
A department store drone that you love right ? You said it first .
Actually, I never did. Said I loved the store. Never claimed to love any of their drones.
Old 09-10-09, 06:29 PM   #15
rambler1141
BassFishin.Com Member

Mallen,
I can't imagine anyone shopping at wal-mart if they have the option of Meijers. I wish we had Meijers in Florida. The best thing that happened to Cadillac was Meijers.
Have you made the trek to Jay's in Gaylord?
rambler1141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 06:40 PM   #16
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler1141 View Post
Mallen,
I can't imagine anyone shopping at wal-mart if they have the option of Meijers. I wish we had Meijers in Florida. The best thing that happened to Cadillac was Meijers.
Have you made the trek to Jay's in Gaylord?
I shop in Traverse City, not Cadillac and I prefer Walmart for 2 reasons.
1- Walmarts prices are lower
2-Even though you'd think it'd be the opposite, the general population shopping Meijer is the largest group of mouth breathers on the planet. In the TC store, they are so bad, I will not go there unless it's off hours, like 7 in the morning and I was sent home from work.
Never in my life have I seen such a large percentage of shoppers that have zero consideration for other shoppers.
Haven't been to Jay's in Gaylord, but I did stop at the one in Clare back in June. Didn't have a lot of time to browse since I was on my way to a buddy's house and then to a Tigers game, but I was impressed! Much bigger store than I thought it would be. They're both about an hour and a half away from me, which is a drag, but if they were to hold a big sale, I'd make the trip.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.