Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-13, 10:08 AM   #1
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Tornado yesterday

There was a tornado in Hattiesburg, MS yesterday afternoon. That's about 90 miles south-southwest of me, and uncomfortably close to Bubba. It went through the campus of the University of Southern Mississippi, damaging several buildings pretty badly. No fatalities, at least none that the authorities know about. The sheriff said last night that he knew of 10-15 injuries, but nothing life-threatening. Thankfully, all classes at the university were out for Mardi Gras, so there were probably very few students actually on campus at the time. On any other Sunday evening, I'm sure there would have been lots more injuries and/or fatalities.
My little sister actually attends USM, but she was in New Orleans visiting her family this weekend. I don't know yet if there's any damage to her apartment, but she's safe, praise God, and stuff can be replaced, she can't.

This was no little EF-0 or EF-1 twister, either, it was a big one. Here's a video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xixPe11Ha30

And a news article about it:

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/21096...ttiesburg-miss

EDIT: Just texted with Bubba, he and his are ok. Said people a couple miles down the road weren't so lucky, though.

Last edited by MississippiBoy; 02-11-13 at 10:19 AM.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-13, 11:19 AM   #2
bcklash

WOW!!!! Them things scare the hell out of me. Praying for all of ya'll down there.
Old 02-11-13, 04:19 PM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

We did get wind and rain. Their was a tornado a couple of miles from the house that did quite a bit pf damage. The family spotted the storm across the field and was able to make it to their storm shelter. Their neighbors had their whole roof removed and they lost a few cows and barns.

I am not a Mardi Grass promoter but I am glad most of the college students had vacated for the party weekend.
Old 02-11-13, 11:45 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Glad everyone is ok. I know how scary these storms can be and the amount of destruction and devestation they can create after the monster we had here in 2011.
Old 02-12-13, 12:07 AM   #5
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Glad everyone is ok. I know how scary these storms can be and the amount of destruction and devestation they can create after the monster we had here in 2011.
Ditto on everything Kory said, especially the part about everyone being ok. I can still vividly remember the killer tornado that destroyed a good portion of my hometown way back in 1979 when I was 15. My family was fortunate that it missed our house by 2 blocks. I'm the first one heading to the basement whenever the weather looks ominous ever since then.

Prayers sent for all those impacted by this tornado.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-13, 11:05 AM   #6
WTL

Its amazing the lack of injuries. I remember watching on Christmas day of this year as a tornado was on TV live going through downtown mobile, not much in the way of injuries that day either. Perhaps its a timing thing, combined with the seriousness that people take with these storms following 2011, that has helped save lives.

Although everyone in Tuscaloosa, and I assume Joplin, knew the storms were coming and they were just too powerful, people in those storms were killed even though they were in their safe places.
Old 02-12-13, 07:26 PM   #7
bamabassman

DANIEL, lisa (being in mobile this week)bubba and his family and OYU guys were the FIRST ones i thought of when i heard the news. so glad you all are ok. praying for anyone who was in the path.
Old 02-12-13, 09:25 PM   #8
keithdog

I saw the story about that on the Weather Channel. I'm always worried about you guys in the deep south when storms rage through. So glad your ok.
Old 02-12-13, 10:40 PM   #9
Rebbasser

We are always on the western edge of these storm systems. As a result, it starts just east of here and we just do not get the rain we so desperately need.

I am glad thee were no fatalities-you get an EF4 or 5 and there is just no place to hide.
Old 02-13-13, 01:22 AM   #10
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I visited the people who had the tornado touch down in their field and wreaked its havoc. There is a folding chair shoved in the roof of a house about 3/4 miles away that was sitting under their carport. I have offered to help, but with all the rain, it is just about impossible to get a tractor and 4-wheelers out to pick up without getting stuck and creating a bigger mess. And they said the insurance people asked them to leave everything as is until the claims adjuster came around.
Old 02-17-13, 11:12 AM   #11
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I hate the thought of a tornado!
Glad to see everyone is ok!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.