Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-10, 11:18 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default The search continues!

All right, I'm still looking for a reel to get! I'm gonna save up until I have enough to get a nice combo!

I'm still probably gonna put it on an Abu Garcia rod, either the Verdict, or Vendetta. If I spend more on a reel, than the vendetta, if a little less, than the verdict.

150 - 170 - Vendetta
100 - 140 - Verdict

These numbers are not set, and may change.

So, for the reel, I'm still looking around, I've considered the Daiwa HSTA, Quantum Reax (Or Gander x-factor reel), and now the Abu Garcia SX, and Revo S, Daiwa Viento (if TW still has them).

If i got shimano, it'll only be if they come out with something new, this years I cast, like a new citica, than that will be in my list of maybes.

So sum it up:

Reels on the maybe list:

Daiwa HSTA
Quantum Reax / X-Factor
Abu Garcia SX, and S
Citica (if they come out with a new one)
Daiwa Viento if tackle warehouse still has the on sale

Thanks for any help!
Old 06-27-10, 01:04 PM   #2
geezer1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Shimano's Citica 200E is one heck of a reel. What exactly is it you're waiting for Shimano to change?
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-10, 01:33 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer1 View Post
Shimano's Citica 200E is one heck of a reel. What exactly is it you're waiting for Shimano to change?
That's what I wanted to know.

Anyways, You can get the Viento for $120 from TW, or the Revo SX for 145 off ebay. The Viento is a great reel, and that's a great price for it.

I'd go with one of those two, or the HSTA.

BB
Old 06-27-10, 02:15 PM   #4
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer1 View Post
Well, pretty much the only thing preventing me from getting it is the lack of bearings! 4 just is not enough IMO for a 120$ reel. Also an aluminum frame, and side plates would be good. Graphite is OK though. Also handle bearing would be awesome! Is there room for them in the knobs?
Old 06-27-10, 02:21 PM   #5
Strike_King 609

I would go with the quantum KVD Tour HP150 7:3.1 BURNER i have it set on a 7'3 vendetta rod an love it. I also have the Kvd Tour150 5:3.1 Power on a Mojo Bass rod i would not trade them for the world. They are lightweight and smooth casting. If you have the money you can get this setup for around 425.00 good luck
Old 06-27-10, 04:14 PM   #6
geezer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Well, pretty much the only thing preventing me from getting it is the lack of bearings! 4 just is not enough IMO for a 120$ reel. Also an aluminum frame, and side plates would be good. Graphite is OK though. Also handle bearing would be awesome! Is there room for them in the knobs?
Try not to get caught up in the "bearing wars" that several manufacturers are still conducting. More does not necessarily mean better. Unless you're built like Barney Fife (judging from your picture, you're not), you probably won't find a lot of use for handle bearings. I'm an old geezer & I find them to be pretty worthless. The Citica frame & side plates are of the same construction as the Curado (frame=aluminum, plates=graphite). Although I happen to favor Shimano at the moment, there are other good reels out there. Try out as many as you can (all, if possible) before you decide what to purchase. What works best for you may not work for someone else. That's what makes the world go around. Good luck in your quest.
Old 06-27-10, 04:49 PM   #7
BigBassin144

I have to agree that more and more bearings just make your retrieve smoother. The only important ones are spool bearings, which the Citica lacks one of...

Other than that and the fact that I find it very uncomfortable are the only reasons I don't care for the Citica much.

BB
Old 06-27-10, 06:07 PM   #8
RonB
BassFishin.Com Member

I have used the Quntum code reel at 3 least times a week (in season) for a year now...no complaints at all, and..it's on sale at gander for 79 bucks.
RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-10, 06:55 PM   #9
bamabassman

sorry here ok? but if yer gonna get a garcia rod.................get a garcia reel. yes i am parcial to garcia reels.
Old 06-27-10, 07:06 PM   #10
Bassboss

Well, thanks guys after, now I'm leaning more to the citica now. Mainly because I want the better rod. Not sure about the revo S though.. people talk more about the citica, than the revo.. so I'd think that it's better.

Anyone here use both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
sorry here ok? but if yer gonna get a garcia rod.................get a garcia reel. yes i am parcial to garcia reels.
Bama? You're a Garcia guy? Hmm... you always seemed like a shimano guy to me, lol!!
Old 06-27-10, 07:09 PM   #11
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

To me the quality of the bearings is a lot more important than how many. I'd rather have 4 really good ones than 11 crappy ones. I have tried other brands and will buy Shimano again next time. If you don't mind ordering it you can find Curados for less than $150 online.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-10, 07:20 PM   #12
nofearengineer

Sammy, this might come as a surprise to my Abu-loving comrades out there, but if I had your budget (or lack of one ), I would try to find a Daiwa Exceler combo on sale for $80. I see them from time to time, and it just seems like a no brainer. Magforce Z braking and a decent rod for $80? Sheesh.

My Zillion with the Z braking isn't my strongest reel in terms of cranking power, but it is definitely the easiest to cast.
Old 06-27-10, 07:58 PM   #13
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Sammy, this might come as a surprise to my Abu-loving comrades out there, but if I had your budget (or lack of one ), I would try to find a Daiwa Exceler combo on sale for $80. I see them from time to time, and it just seems like a no brainer. Magforce Z braking and a decent rod for $80? Sheesh.

My Zillion with the Z braking isn't my strongest reel in terms of cranking power, but it is definitely the easiest to cast.
Ya know what nofear! You just have to come and always come on and complicate things don't you!

The Teirra also has Mag Force Z breaks. But I'm not really sure how it would look on a Veritas? Hmm.. than again, pretty much anything will match up well with white.

I guess I'll just have to wait until the veritas comes out so I can mount a teirra on it! I've also heard the teirra is good caster as well. And I do like the Mag breaks better than the cen. breaks.
Old 06-27-10, 08:12 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Bassboss, I'd seriously consider the Viento with the 40% discount you can get it at now. It's a great reel, and performs much better than the Citica for the same price.

BB
Old 06-27-10, 08:48 PM   #15
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Bassboss, I'd seriously consider the Viento with the 40% discount you can get it at now. It's a great reel, and performs much better than the Citica for the same price.

BB
Oh with out a doubt man, I just don't wanna get my hopes on a reel that may not be there in a year, or what ever. But DEFINITELY the viento granted it's still there!

Should look pretty sweet on a veritas too!
Old 06-27-10, 09:38 PM   #16
Bassboss

The search just got A LOT cheaper! My cabelas XML rod tip broke a while back, and it's still under warranty. So after making sure with cabelas, that I can do this, I found this out:

I can return the rod when I want to, for a rod of equal or less value, that'll probably be the veritas, or verdict! So now I only have to pay for the reel, I've pretty much got any rod I want (and is available at cableas), for free that is under 139$ A revo STX just became a very good possibility!

SWEET!
Old 06-28-10, 06:37 AM   #17
tim4081

I just got a Daiwa HSTA on a great deal (less than a Citica)....have only used it once but found it cast very well and is super smooth....do have to get used to its width though.

I've used the Revo S and its a great reel....smooth, long casting and a great drag. The lack of adjustability for the brakes was a concern but so far no issues there.

I don't know if they're still running their special but Cabelas had Quantum Catalyst on sale for $60 off. I got one earlier this year and its become my favorite reel so far. Great casting distance, smooth and even drag, very smooth retrieve and very light.

Good luck and let us know what you get
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 09:23 AM   #18
Jrob78

The Daiwa Exceler is a good budget reel, I have one casting and one spinning. They aren't as refined as some of the higher end reels but they also don't cost as much. I ususally recommend them to anyone looking for a <$100 reel, Bryce's post reminded me. I picked one up new on Ebay awhile back for $36, I no longer have that one but I wouldn't hesitate to get another if I needed a less expensive reel.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 11:51 AM   #19
geezer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I have to agree that more and more bearings just make your retrieve smoother. The only important ones are spool bearings, which the Citica lacks one of...

Other than that and the fact that I find it very uncomfortable are the only reasons I don't care for the Citica much.

BB
The Citica 200E has two spool bearings. One is housed in the brake case, the other is under the cast control knob. If you count the pinion support bearing, which the spool goes through, there actually are three.
Old 06-28-10, 12:47 PM   #20
Abbeysdad

I heard if you choose your rod 'n reel carefully, the fish will be so impressed they'll jump right in the boat
Old 06-28-10, 12:55 PM   #21
geezer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
I heard if you choose your rod 'n reel carefully, the fish will be so impressed they'll jump right in the boat
I've witnessed that if you DON'T choose your rod & reel carefully, you can be so UNIMPRESSED that you throw it to the bottom of the lake!
Old 06-28-10, 01:44 PM   #22
Raul

Quote:
Dude my old more than 2 decades old Abu Garcia Ambassadeur XLT Plus Series reels cost back then when I purchased them a little bit over 90 dollars ea which would be 150+ dollars of today and they have only one bearing, it´s not the number of bearings what counts but the quality of them what counts and those reels cast like a dream.

BTW, I do have a Citica E, very good reel, better than my Curado Bs in some features.

Quantums ---> I can´t say anything about the new Quantums, first Quantums to hit the market were junk.

Revo S, very good reel, braking system a little bit touchy.

Daiwa Advantage, great reel my only beef is the width.

Viento, good reel, I´m still not convinced by the long term durability of the Twitchin´Bar.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 02:20 PM   #23
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Tacklewarehouse has the Viento priced at $119.. That's a steal!..I've owned one for 3 seasons and it's never given me any problems, I also have a 2 year old citica and unfortunately had to change the bearings this year as they started to break down..other than that I LOVE the citica!

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Team_...page-TDVI.html
Old 06-28-10, 09:34 PM   #24
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Dude my old more than 2 decades old Abu Garcia Ambassadeur XLT Plus Series reels cost back then when I purchased them a little bit over 90 dollars ea which would be 150+ dollars of today and they have only one bearing, it´s not the number of bearings what counts but the quality of them what counts and those reels cast like a dream.

BTW, I do have a Citica E, very good reel, better than my Curado Bs in some features.

Quantums ---> I can´t say anything about the new Quantums, first Quantums to hit the market were junk.

Revo S, very good reel, braking system a little bit touchy.

Daiwa Advantage, great reel my only beef is the width.

Viento, good reel, I´m still not convinced by the long term durability of the Twitchin´Bar.
What if this reel had more bearing? All of them of the same quality. Would this reel be smoother/better casting? Probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfish320 View Post
Tacklewarehouse has the Viento priced at $119.. That's a steal!..I've owned one for 3 seasons and it's never given me any problems, I also have a 2 year old citica and unfortunately had to change the bearings this year as they started to break down..other than that I LOVE the citica!

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Team_...page-TDVI.html
Yup! That's what I think I'll be getting, that or maybe a revo STX now.

Not sure about the rod though.. Verdict, or veritas? The verdict is better, but the verdict looks SWEET!!
Old 06-28-10, 10:12 PM   #25
WTL

Quote:
What if this reel had more bearing? All of them of the same quality. Would this reel be smoother/better casting? Probably.!

Answering your own question? Probably.

Raul is right. The bearings discussions are definitely overrated when you consider that almost nobody can even identify where each bearing in a 10+ bearing system goes. Bunch of marketing hype. You will get better and more casts and catch more fish if you take some of that money that you would put towards a abnormally expensive reel and use it on gas and more hours instead. Werent you looking at getting a boat/canoe/kayak/raft made from builders foam, two liter bottles and duct tape? Getting on the water will land you more bass than some extra bearings that make a knob spin, but do nothing else.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.