Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-11, 12:17 AM   #1
Mule659
BassFishin.Com Member

Default New Rod Recommendation

Hello all, I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I'm getting ready to buy a new rod. I need to keep it at 150 or less. I'm considering the St. Croix Mojo Bass, Carrot Stix Professional Grade, and Abu Garcia Verdict. I'm going to get a 7' MH casting rod.

Any experience with these rods? Any other recommendations in the 150 or less range? Prefer more like 130.
Mule659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 12:45 AM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't have experience with any of those rods but they all have a following. I would highly recommend adding the Lamiglas Excel and Powell Max to your list.
Old 02-21-11, 01:02 AM   #3
Mule659
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I don't have experience with any of those rods but they all have a following. I would highly recommend adding the Lamiglas Excel and Powell Max to your list.
Thanks for that! I really like the look of those. The main thing I didn't like about the Carrot Stix and the Abu Garcia is the foam handle. Very good info
Mule659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 01:07 AM   #4
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule659 View Post
Thanks for that! I really like the look of those. The main thing I didn't like about the Carrot Stix and the Abu Garcia is the foam handle. Very good info
No problem, I have the Powell in Med. and a custom built on a Lamiglas Excel blank. I think both are great rods for the money and both use quality components and guides that will hold up to braid. The Lami also comes in a micro guide version.
Old 02-21-11, 08:13 AM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Powell makes great rods, and I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Max series.

For around $130 or less, most of the new rods have foam handles. If you want cork, the Lamiglas Excel or the Shimano Compre is where I'd go.

Although a bit over your budget, the Shimano Crucial is also a good rod. At that price, I'd also check out the Dobyns Savvy series.

I own a St. Croix Mojo and was overall a little disappointed, especially from a company like St Croix. The is probably one the better built "budget rods," but I felt it was lacking in sensitivity, even compared to other $100 budget sticks.

BB
Old 02-21-11, 08:46 AM   #6
walkeraviator

Keep in mind that the Compre has a $20 savings at tacklewarehouse right now too.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 09:18 AM   #7
MIbasser

I have a Powell 703CEF and a 683CEF and love both of those rods. This sping I will be picking up the 704CEF for jigs. For the price you can't beat them.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 09:58 AM   #8
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Just my opinion of course, but I would look strongly at a Falcon Lowrider. Still one of the best rods made, and can be had for under your budget.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 10:29 AM   #9
hootiebenji
BassFishin.Com Member

I have the Mojo Bass in 6.6 MH and I love it. In fact, I have 2 of them.
hootiebenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 01:00 PM   #10
Bender

I just picked up a couple more Powells, in that price range I think that they are the best that I have used.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 03:20 PM   #11
Bassboss

Might I recommend the St.Croix premier over the mojo? It's like the same price, but I've own it (spinning rod though) it's really nice, I've only used it a few times. Extremely accurate caster, and very sensitive. I can't really recommend it over the other rods their. But I'd definitely consider it over the mojo. I've talked to people who've used both, and they prefer the premier. But as far as value I'd consider the garcia rods over all in that price range, the components on it are premium for a non premium price.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 05:37 PM   #12
bcklash

Falcon Bucoo--a great rod for any price but at a $110.00 awesome.
Old 02-24-11, 10:11 AM   #13
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

In your price range I would also suggest the Falcon Lowrider. I have a couple of these and they're great rods....lightweight, sensitive and reliable!
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 09:40 AM   #14
bassn1
BassFishin.Com Member

Falcon. Great rod. At a Great price.
bassn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 02:08 PM   #15
bassinbob

I like the Powell over the Kistler Magnesium in that price range. I do have both and find myself using the Powell more often.
Old 02-26-11, 02:53 PM   #16
keithdog

I'd like to second the StCroix Premier for that price range, mainly because I have one and can attest to it's being a great rod in that price range. I wouldn't hessitate to buy another.
Old 02-26-11, 03:04 PM   #17
lilmule

Abu garcia ,next St Croix,forget the carrot stix,iffy and light on action a tad.
I bought one and broke mine ,did a local repair cheaper than fact would have,and all I did was power cast with my carrot stix,it is decent but many break.
For worming or frogging my kistler outpreforms it,and cost no more like under 125 + shipping
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 10:03 PM   #18
Lvitch

I looked at just about every rod from 99-200$. After a lot of debate, I went with the ABU Garcia vendetta (i now own 5) . And just recently picked up a carrot stick wild for 99$ (my second carrot). I just didn't see a big enough difference in the quality and parts in rods over $100 to justify the extra money. I also own 2 loomis rods which the blanks are fine, but the cork handles are starting to fall apart after 3 years. I have an ancient zebco Rhino rod , which is about 20 years old, been abused and used mostly in the salt. Foam grips are still in great condition. just my .02
Lvitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-11, 09:12 AM   #19
fish4942

I’m a big Bass Pro Shop fan. You should definitely check out the CarbonLites for $90-$100. EVA grips plus you can get them with the micro guides. Lightest rod I’ve felt of any brand or dollar amount. Also check out the Johnny Morris Carbon Black. Cork grips but oh so light and well balanced. And don’t skip over the Abu Garcia Veritas.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 08:05 PM   #20
Frogman20
BassFishin.Com Member

The Mojo is going to give you the most productivity and the least amount of grief. The E21 carrot stick is a solid road but does not hold up as well as the Mojo. If you want an elite rod than I would go for the Shimano Crumara it is the best on the market but a little expensive.
Frogman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 08:43 AM   #21
Ebbetsguy

I dumped every rod I owned and replaed all with BPS Extremes MH
cork handle
can do what the all do, no headaches, BPS gives wonderful Customer Service
I dont need a lifetime warranty, the only time I had an issue with one was poking a spinnerbait loose, I dislodged the top guide insert, Stopped at BPS in Memphis, told what happened,the rod was a few years old and it was my fault, they just gave me a new one .
Im sold

keep an eye out they are on sale now for less than 99
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 05:00 PM   #22
BigBurlyBass

150$? I would buy a KVD rod no questions asked! Also a Tour Edition rod would be a good choice also, and same with the energy pt both are a little cheaper also. But the KVD rod would be my number one choice!
BigBurlyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 10:34 PM   #23
I<3BASS
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Ducket

maybee save alittle more money and consider geting a ducket i own a ducket and carrot a carrot stick wild and i prefere my ducket anny day, and the you mentioned wanting a cork handle and the duckets have that and there sensitive and light
I<3BASS is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.