Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-06, 02:38 AM   #1
bassin_in_indiana
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Night Fishing

Well I went night fishin tonight and I just got back, its about 2:25am. And Ill tell ya I didnt catch 1 damn fish. I got to the lake about 9:15pm It was still about 78` outside, fish finder said the water was about 80`, and there was a slight wind out of the w sw.

Now I wasn't real sure where to look for the fish like I said the water was still warm and it was about a high temp of 89` today and very humid. So I was thinking which usaully isnt good =), that the fish were down deep all day getting away from the heat and they would be coming up to the shallows to feed when the sun went down. I guess I sure was wrong or I just wasnt fishing the right lures or baits.

For the first hour or so when I first got there the sun was just going down and I was using topwater, a white mouse from wal-mart, no luck with that. So then I went to a zoom super fluke t-rigged with no wieght watermelon seed, and fished this for about 30 minutes with no luck. At this point I was gettin frustrated and turned to the reliable, what I usually catch my bass on. I went to my 10in Black Neon YUM worm t-rigged with a bullet weight, thinking that they were still down deep.

After about an hour and a half with only a couple bumps, I was then EXTREMLY FRUSTRATED from not even catching one fish, loaded up the boat and left. I was using attractant on the lures and everything and didnt get a fish. Well Ill close this up just thought id ask if you all had some tips on night fishing because at the rate I went tonight I dont think Ill be goin night fishin anytime soon. Just thought someone might have caught some nice bass at night and give me some tips.

Oh and another thing was the lighting, it was also very frustrating. I had a lantern on a holder in the middle of the boat and there were shadows on about everything. I was wondering, if you bass fish at night, what you light up the banks with so you can see and get a good accurate cast toward the bank. I've heard some people say they have done great at night with bass and I couldnt catch nothin, and seemed like I tryed everything.
bassin_in_indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-06, 10:18 AM   #2
WarEagle
BassFishin.Com Member

I fished in Central Indiana yesterday during the day.. 4-5p. I had a water rocker tied on when I got in... caught 2, nothing big. Slow bite. I switched to a Yozuri Popper and started tearing them up whenever the sun went behind a cloud. If the sun was out and beating down, like it is supposed to be the next week... then they would obviously just head for deep water and sit, but when a cloud rolled over, they were tearing up that popper. I caught 7 in little under an hour. Biggest one was almost 4lbs.

The bite has been tough with the heat, and is only going to be getting worse unfortunately. But at night, I would have expected better results.

Keep at em.

WAR
Old 07-15-06, 10:37 AM   #3
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassin_in_indiana
Oh and another thing was the lighting, it was also very frustrating. I had a lantern on a holder in the middle of the boat and there were shadows on about everything. I was wondering, if you bass fish at night, what you light up the banks with so you can see and get a good accurate cast toward the bank. I've heard some people say they have done great at night with bass and I couldnt catch nothin, and seemed like I tryed everything.
Lighting can be a challenge, but there ARE very effective solutions.
First, I'm assuming that your state's boating regs require your stern light be mounted and ON during darkness hours. That CAN be pain so far as night vision goes, especially for a back-seater. Solution: Since the light post is almost always on the starboard (right) quarter, make your run past the target area so that you are casting to the port (left) side. This alleviates the distraction and "night blindness".
Also, for cheap, you can buy a simple, light, dependable LED light that will clip to the bill of your cap. Turn it on ONLY to tie knots, look for something in the boat, or get a better ID on a target, snagged lure, or approaching sea monster. Avoid the heavy headlamps with the headband. All you need is a simple little LED light. Shouldn't cost more than 15 bux for a three-bulb one.
Further, if you can afford it, (if NOT, save up!) and order a Nucli-Eye Light.
This compact device plugs into the cig lighter on the boat and offers UV light (Makes your line glow, if standard mono, not fluoro or braid) that will not disturb the fish and let's you more easily see the little twitch in the line that signals a strike on soft plastics.
The Nucli-Eye also has a visible blue light in addition to the UV, and can be used WITH the UV or seperately. This blue light casts a soft glow, does not spook fish, and allows you to see the target area. Great for avoiding casting into trouble.
I DO NOT recommend the old and obsolete UV systems that use the bulky and very fragile fluorescent tubes. Far less effective and very vulnerable!
See link below.
Good luck,

FlyRod

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomfr...llajigs.com%2F
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.