Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-09, 05:34 PM   #1
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Flea Market trip!

I am a hardcore pan-fish angler along with being a dedicated bass and carp fisherman. I went to a HUGE Flea Market today, and there were fishing rods and reels everywhere! The bait monkey was really bitin' me in the *** this time! I left my wallet in my dad's truck, and didn't know it. I was looking around and saw a Abu Garcia Ambassedeur for $30! Oh my god! I go back to my truck for my wallet and come back only to see that the reel had just been sold . By this time I was frustrated. Well, I keep crusing around looking at old reels and rods, and fine this dude selling all of these fishing poles! Are you kidding me? He has at LEAST 30 reels, 20 rods, and 5 or 6 rod and reel combos. He had the original, 1950's Zebco 33's, the original Zebco 202's, old Ambasseduers (A lot higher though than the other dude was selling his for), Abu Garcia spinning reels, old pistol gripped rods, etc. I find a Zebco 11 Micro! I have been urning for one of these teeny-tiny reels! I finally found one! Almost new, only been used a few times, pre-spooled with brand new 4 lb. Trilene, for $12 ! The bait monkey tricks me again and gets me to buy a Daiwa Mini-Cast ultra light rod to go with it! My dad also see's one of the old Zebco 33's, the 1960 ones, equipped with the original rod, for $15! The reel looked as good as new! Almost NO scratches on a reel of such age!

The question is, "Does anyone else enjoy ultra-light panfishing?"

I love it. I am a dedicated bass and carp angler, but I'm a PASSIONATE panfish angler! Bluegills, crappie, red-ear, rock bass, any kind of panfish, I love!
Old 08-22-09, 05:44 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I enjoy it but don't dedicate as much time to it as I do the bass fishing. I have a 5' UL fenwick with a small diawa spinning reel on it. I use 4lbs flouro. A nice sized pan fish will feel like monster bass on this rig. I usually throw small trout size power worms with it. It is always a thrill when I manage to hook a bass as well on this rig.
Old 08-22-09, 05:55 PM   #3
Bender

I like to try to catch crappie before bass season opens in Michigan, but I'm not too good at it. I have a 5'6" UL with a spinning reel and a 9' Medium rod. I didn't realize how hard it is to catch crappie until I tried to do it, they are hard to find.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-09, 06:50 PM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hehe, I love pan-fishing. I just hardly ever do it anymore. Maybe I should.

I have one of those same Zebco 11 Micro reels I put on a crappie rod.

I also have a 5' Shakespeare Cirrus ultra-light spinning combo I haven't used in ages.

Maybe next spring, I will give some crappie a hard time with them.
Old 08-22-09, 07:17 PM   #5
Nater1300
BassFishin.Com Member

My wife caught a "hand-size" sun fish today on my ultra light! I think she is hooked on fishing I only had 4lb test on it and she had to fight with it forever. So to answer the question...I LOVE it
Nater1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-09, 07:38 PM   #6
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nater1300 View Post
My wife caught a "hand-size" sun fish today on my ultra light! I think she is hooked on fishing I only had 4lb test on it and she had to fight with it forever. So to answer the question...I LOVE it
Oh yeah...if you can't find any lunkers, create your own with an ultralight package!
Old 08-22-09, 11:02 PM   #7
66KingFisher

The guy I fish with is a panfish lover, and its pretty much all he fishes for....he fishes outta one end of the boat for bream and I fish outta the other end for bass.......sometimes I catch alot of bass and he'll tie on a small crankbait and go for bass....other times he's slayin big'ol shellcrackers and i'll put down my baitcaster and pick up my spinning rod and join him.....I love bass fishin, but a skillet full of panfish filets is hard to pass up.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 09:17 AM   #8
Backwater Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I enjoy it but don't dedicate as much time to it as I do the bass fishing. I have a 5' UL fenwick with a small diawa spinning reel on it. I use 4lbs flouro. A nice sized pan fish will feel like monster bass on this rig. I usually throw small trout size power worms with it. It is always a thrill when I manage to hook a bass as well on this rig.
I agree, a large bluegill feels like a monster, and catching a 10 or 12 inch bass every now and then is a rush too!
Old 08-23-09, 09:18 AM   #9
Backwater Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nater1300 View Post

Me too! I love panfishin'!
Old 08-24-09, 11:12 AM   #10
nofearengineer

oops, I mis-spoke...my reel isn't a Micro 11, but looks just like it. It is a Zebco Rhino RL2 TriigerSpin. However, I can't find anything at all online about it. It is a fun little reel, and I would like to see if any parts are available for it.
Old 08-24-09, 09:27 PM   #11
Backwater Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
oops, I mis-spoke...my reel isn't a Micro 11, but looks just like it. It is a Zebco Rhino RL2 TriigerSpin. However, I can't find anything at all online about it. It is a fun little reel, and I would like to see if any parts are available for it.

Never heard of that reel before.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.