Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-09, 10:28 AM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Trying to get organized

One of the biggest issues that I face in tourneys is my lack of organization. I am always a back seater and it is usually a draw format so I try to be very respectful and not fill the back of my partner's boat.

Currently I use salt water, open water style bag. The hard cases that I put into it are from home depot and each one is 18" wide.
I have no serious issues when it comes to hard baits, but find myself spending too much time trying to find the right plastic.
For this week's tourney I am trying to sort like plastics into labeled zip lock bags. The one's that I use the most are in the main compartment less used baits are in the sides.

The bag is currently weighing in just over 40 lbs. The question is two-fold. What techniques work best for all of you in organizing plastics?
What tackle box/bag do you prefer for being a guest on the boat?

Here is a pic of the bag for some perspective.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tacklebag.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	459.5 KB
ID:	4139
Old 08-26-09, 10:58 AM   #2
WaffleJaw

i use a large plano ''softsider'' bag....which is over loaded all ready and im trying to figure out how to sew on my little bass master soft tackle bag on the back (the free one you get when you sign up...yea,i got like three of those,lol)...there both blk/blue so it'll look really good...the idea is for more plastic storage and one more utility box....will see how/if it works..

as far as plastics go,i leave them in thier orginal packaging....since thier all already ziplocked,salted/scented.....i never saw the need to really do much else.....i just keep my go-to's up front and the rest in the back of the front large flap on my tackle bag....if its the same plastic,just different color...ill mark the color with a sharpie in the corner....its like a filing cabinet
Old 08-26-09, 11:23 AM   #3
Bender

I too have this problem with organizing soft plastics. At the beginning of the year I had big ziplock backs and put all similar baits into them so that I had one big bag full of "tubes", "trailers", etc. while still leaving them in the original packages. It worked for a while, but now I have bags all over the place again. I have looked around and not found a good solution.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 02:11 PM   #4
Captmikestarrett

I have a slightly different approach to organize and indexing of lures. I use a corner of the boat and gently place them in a random order in the corner.

Capt Mike
Old 08-26-09, 02:24 PM   #5
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Very nice job labeling your boxes, Cassidy. I say that mostly because I did the same exact thing.

I'm not sure this helps, but I put my favorite worms, bag and all in those boxes. They're a tight fit, but it's a bit neater than just shoving the bag in one of the pockets.

I envision a totally new system for plastic baits. It would be a boat mounted machine with a series of molds you could buy and several storage tanks for plastic. You could just make them as you need them, right on the water, with no need to store them. Hahaha, I know, it sounds silly...but a guy can dream, right? At least, I wouldn't have any more of them "melt" together in the bag on a hot day.
Old 08-26-09, 02:37 PM   #6
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Very nice job labeling your boxes, Cassidy. I say that mostly because I did the same exact thing.

I'm not sure this helps, but I put my favorite worms, bag and all in those boxes. They're a tight fit, but it's a bit neater than just shoving the bag in one of the pockets.

I envision a totally new system for plastic baits. It would be a boat mounted machine with a series of molds you could buy and several storage tanks for plastic. You could just make them as you need them, right on the water, with no need to store them. Hahaha, I know, it sounds silly...but a guy can dream, right? At least, I wouldn't have any more of them "melt" together in the bag on a hot day.
I can with a lighter and some old worms. In fact some of my best worms have been from different pieces of used worms.

Capt Mike
Old 08-26-09, 03:20 PM   #7
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
I have a slightly different approach to organize and indexing of lures. I use a corner of the boat and gently place them in a random order in the corner.

Capt Mike
This is true.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 03:23 PM   #8
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I use a couple cheaper tackle bags from BPS. They are meant for plano sized boxes (3500, 3600, 3700, etc, but I don't know exactly which one), but they fit my Falcon FTO boxes perfect when placed vertically, like you have in your bag. so, one has all my FTO's, and the other bag has plastics sorted into gallon ziplocs by type.

While the FTO's may not hold as much as other boxes, I really don't have that much gear. stuff I don't have enough room for (spinnerbaits, cranks) and stuff that doesn't fit in the FTO's (frogs, buzzbaits, jigs (I don't have a buzzbait or jig box) are all thrown in a couple of the deep plano 3700's.

With the spinnerbaits and cranks, the ones I use frequently, go in the FTO's and ones I hardly ever use go in the plano and stay in the boat. jigs are in a 3700 box that I cary with me when shore fishing. frogs and buzzbaits stay in the boat unless I'm shore fishing where I know I'll use them

BB
Old 08-26-09, 04:11 PM   #9
pinkbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to pinkbass

Well i am kinda new to fishing and i shop out of my husbands tackle box, and when i am fishing with someone else i try and take a few of the colors of worms and creature's i plan on fishing, 4 or so and leave the rest at home for the day. The plastic tackle boxes you can get a walmart or anyplace for that matter work great for that because you can custom the size of compartment. If your worried about the worms drying out put them in sandwich bags. I like this cause i a little of everything with me and if i run out of something i know i have more at home, and i just switch to the closest plastic or find a different tacti. I dont know if this is helpful, heck i might learn a better way.....but for now its working for me
pinkbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 04:18 PM   #10
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

Double post
Old 08-26-09, 04:20 PM   #11
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

"I have a slightly different approach to organize and indexing of lures. I use a corner of the boat and gently place them in a random order in the corner."

Capt Mike

Same here..But I do keep my 4" red shed worms separated fron the 5" red shad senkos most of the time.The pink pop 'r' and the zara puppy hang on the carpeting.I think my chartreuse buzzbait is under my rods and I lost my spinnerbait so I don't have to worry about that anymore.I do keep the terminal tackle in a plano 3700.
Old 08-26-09, 05:11 PM   #12
fishen green
BassFishin.Com Member

I bought a new boat and used something like in the link below they hold plano's perfectly

http://www.buy.com/prod/nestable-pla...205786159.html
fishen green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 05:23 PM   #13
cassidyta

I have one of the smaller boxes listed as dropshot It is in a side pocket and does have the worms sorted out. I will usually put two different colors per individual tray. This helps me avoid confusion. There is a spinnerbait box under the terminal tackle in the picture. It has my spinners, buzzbaits, and chatterbaits. I personally don't like keeping my larger plastics in the hard cases. I do alot of shore fishing, and like the ability to throw a bag of worms into my pocket.
I usually don't keep the hand poured in their original packages because they are not resealable.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.