Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-09, 08:30 AM   #1
Dazzamcgee
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Fluorocarbon and dropshotting....

Hi all

Just started out dropshotting and after reading through some of the older post I have noticed that Fluorocarbon is the prefered line for this method of fishing.
So my question is "why" is it prefered?

Had a go dropshotting one of my fav holes yesterday though I didnt catch any I had my first bite(tap-tap) in close to the bank in about 2ft of water!
Don't think it was a bass maybe some other pest fish but still a bite!
Did manage 2 bass surface strikes and 1 hookup which I dropped bankside all on a Kakoda bat surface lure.....

cheers
Dazzamcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-09, 09:22 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The reason it preferred is because it nearly invisible under water. And it's big bonus when fishing a drop shot, because typically use them in colder water, when bass become much more finicky.

Hope this helps, good luck and goof fishin!
Old 02-25-09, 09:46 AM   #3
Dazzamcgee
BassFishin.Com Member

Cool!!! so its all about the fish not being able to see it! sweet!
I have a roll of berkley Vanish 6lbs line in front of me......

Next question, when it comes to the sinker can it be attached with lighter material so it can break away when snagged?

cheers
Old 02-25-09, 09:51 AM   #4
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzamcgee View Post

Next question, when it comes to the sinker can it be attached with lighter material so it can break away when snagged?

cheers
I Prefer to do so, add a 3lb-4lb test, leader, use a blood knot or a uni to uni to connect them.

Hope this helps, good luck and good fishin!
Old 02-25-09, 04:44 PM   #5
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzamcgee View Post

cheers
The answer is yes. However, if you bought a true drop shot weight, this will not be necessary. They have a clip on top of the weight that attaches the weight to the line. If you get snagged, pulling on the line hard enough (don't use your rod) should let the line slip through the clip, leaving the weight and usually saving the line and the bait.

The first thing I would do for you is get rid of the vanish. That is one of the worst lines out there for its lack of dependability. Don't let it cost you.

Here is a pic of a cylindrical type weight. Note the clip on top. You slip the line through the clip and then you pull the line up into the clip.

http://www.handpouredworms.com/Drop-...k-p-16185.html
Old 02-25-09, 05:47 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I prefer fluorocarbon to other lines for one main reason: invisibility. Right now, I'm running 10lb braid with 6-8lb leader.

As for attaching the weight with a lower lb test, I don't find it necesary. For one, dropshot weights are designed to come off before the whole rig break. And 2, if not, my know will probalby come undone (connecting braid to fluoro), so I'll just retie.

And... about the vanish, throw it away and buy some decent fluorocarbon. Seaguar is my favorite, but other good brands include BPS, Trilene, Stren etc. Just stay away from vanish.

BB
Old 02-25-09, 06:38 PM   #7
Dazzamcgee
BassFishin.Com Member

What seems to be the problem with Vanish??

I've never used the the stuff before though i currently have Berkley Trilene 8lbs on my reel and have had no problems with it.
Just thought the vanish would be ok as its another Berkley product....

cheers
Old 02-26-09, 03:20 PM   #8
islandbass

Trilenne mono is fine. Normally it would be alright to follow your thought process, but just not in this this. Using Vanish is just not worth it IMHO. There are a lot of folks, myself included, who have had bad, if not disappointing or disastrous experiences with it.

My brother bought some in 8# and I heard the rumors so I spooled it up to "see" for myself. I tied my bait to the line carefully like I do. I am anal when it comes to tying my knots. I give a light tug to make the knot snug, and snap! Right at the knot. Thinking I might have been careless, I tried again, even more carefully. Same result. Checked to see if the thrid time would be a charm, same result. I couldn't believe the info on posts I read were so true. I even tried other knots with the same results. All this trouble and the line never even got wet. The line was so poor that a blue gill could break it. I threw the spool in the garbage. In retrospect, I should have given it back to my brother so he could get his money back.

Trilene mono is fine. I use it and like it. Ironically, Vanish is aptly and accurately named because that is exactly what is going to happen when you have a fish on. It is going to vanish. Poof!

Some people like it, but if a poll were started, you will see that there are far more folks that won't touch it with a 10' pole. Use at your own risk.
Old 02-26-09, 03:54 PM   #9
cassidyta

I don't go with a lighter line for the weight. I use a square knot and have not had too many issues.
Old 03-01-09, 10:56 PM   #10
rangerryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i too bought some berkley vanish and these guys booed me off the stage so i took hede and ditched the line bought some trilene 100% flouro yesterday.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 08:13 PM   #11
Dazzamcgee
BassFishin.Com Member

Well the Vanish has hit the bin!

Crap line not recommending it.......

Now spooled up some fresh Trilene.......

thanx for the advice!
Old 03-02-09, 09:06 PM   #12
islandbass

Dazz,

Did you try it, or did you toss it on recommendations? Just curious, if you had a bad experience like many of us so you can join the "down with Vanish" club.
Old 03-03-09, 05:37 AM   #13
Dazzamcgee
BassFishin.Com Member

Mate I tried it out over the weekend!
Fishing for 8hours with it catching 15 bass and by the end of the day I just couldnt wait to strip it from the reel...!

Crap Crap crap pure waste of money!!

The crap kept jumping off the spool, knots snapped under gentle pressure and I had to "flog the dog" just to cast a few feet..... not good!

Trilene is WAY better line!!!........
Old 03-03-09, 04:24 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Ok, I have not tried Vanish, but I do know why most bass anglers are against it.

For one, vanish wasn't designed for bass fishing. It wasn't meant to handle the repeated casting of bassin' and definately not meant for the brutal eye corssing, boat rocking hooksets.

It was designed to be a walleye line for fishing vertical walleye jigs and just w/ minimal casting and not to hard hooksets.

Now, I personally wouldn't use it for 'eyes either, but if you already have it, give it a try for dropshotting. Since there really isn't a hookset when DSing, it may work alright.

Now, as for Trilene Fluoro it will work a lot better. I personally have not tried this yet, not being a big berkley line fan, but I hope to eventually. Fluorocarbon's are going to give you more line twist than mono on a spinning reel, period. Don't get too frustrated. And try some KVD's Line and Lure conditioner, this stuff really works.

BB
Old 03-03-09, 05:31 PM   #15
fish2

Send a message via AIM to fish2

Fluorocarbon lines are not as visible underwater. It is also abrasion resistent finally it doesn't have as much stretch
Old 03-03-09, 08:06 PM   #16
aikenyounggun

well i think that is settled..... vanish is crap ..... dont think berkeley products are bad though .... the big game is the best for the money
Old 03-29-09, 07:12 PM   #17
OneMoreCast
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OneMoreCast

I would have to agree on the Vanish. I am a HUGE fan of Trilene XL 12lb test. I have spent boat loads of $ on line, and I am sold on Trilene XL. I am not sure why it's so much different considering it is made by Berkley?

I have heard that Seagaur AbrazX is a really great line for both spinning and baitcast... just never had the chance to try it yet though.
Old 03-29-09, 09:24 PM   #18
Panthrosan

Used the BPS fluoro for dropshotting the other day and while I only got one small bass on it, I don't really think I was doing it right as I was fishing from shore. I can only surmise that the rest of these guys know what they are talking about when they say fluorocarbon for the win. I was using a baitcaster reel so I can't tell you about fluorocarbon on a spinning rod, I heard horror stories so I put it only on my baitcaster.
Panthrosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 12:38 PM   #19
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Ok, I have not tried Vanish, but I do know why most bass anglers are against it.
#14 is the only Vanish I use - for crankbaits and it works as great as any line should.
-You've just got to be sure to not get any backlashes, or this will kink and weaken the line.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 12:59 PM   #20
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish2 View Post
Fluorocarbon lines are not as visible underwater. It is also abrasion resistent finally it doesn't have as much stretch
Contrary to popular perception, some fc lines stretch more than monofilament of the same strength. Some stretch less. In addition, unlike mono, which has greater resiliency (ie, it tends to go back to its initial state after being stretched) fc lines tend to remain stretched out after being stretched.
Old 04-11-09, 03:37 AM   #21
islandbass

Delewarebass,

Welcome!!! That is a great piece you wrote. The only thing I would respectfully disagree (ultra-minor) with limiting drop shotting to a vertical presentation.

As a shorebound angler, the scenarios I fish are rarely give me the opportunity to drop shot in a purely vertical way. Many times Iwork it in a somewhat carolina rig fashion if I could loosely describe it that way (as in work it... drag it to the next spot, etc.).

I know you don't say it is an exclusively vertical presentation, but one who might try this technique out for the first time might perceive that notion and remain in that box.

Thank you for the superbly written post.

-ib
Old 04-11-09, 04:19 AM   #22
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

http://www.handpouredworms.com/Tungs...s-p-16208.html
http://www.bassfishin.com/fishing-vi...-shot-fishing/
listen to the man
Old 04-11-09, 08:49 AM   #23
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post
#14 is the only Vanish I use - for crankbaits and it works as great as any line should.
-You've just got to be sure to not get any backlashes, or this will kink and weaken the line.
I guess Vanish wouldn't be bad for cranks since it lacks the brutal hooksets that other kind of bass fishing has. and that is what really makes vanish crap for most bass fishing applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Delewarebass,

Welcome!!! That is a great piece you wrote. The only thing I would respectfully disagree (ultra-minor) with limiting drop shotting to a vertical presentation.

As a shorebound angler, the scenarios I fish are rarely give me the opportunity to drop shot in a purely vertical way. Many times Iwork it in a somewhat carolina rig fashion if I could loosely describe it that way (as in work it... drag it to the next spot, etc.).

I know you don't say it is an exclusively vertical presentation, but one who might try this technique out for the first time might perceive that notion and remain in that box.

Thank you for the superbly written post.

-ib
I too fish the dropshot from shore. While it is easier from a boat, you can make some minor adjustment, like lengthening your leader, to make it work just as good from shore. Also, even when I'm in the boat, I hardly fish it vertically. I'm usually casting it.

Also, I don't know what you consider "a tight line" presentation, but I always leave a bit of slack when fishing the DS. If I can feel my weight, then the line is too tight IMO.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.