Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-08, 09:53 PM   #1
MrPhotographer06
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06
Default Navy anyone?

anyone here in the navy? ..thats my career choice .. i want to get into the academy but if i cant i'll go enlisted and get the college money.. go to college.. try for OCS.. and then go from there

anyone there or pursuing the same as i?
Old 09-06-08, 10:55 PM   #2
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Good call, man. Every liberty we have has been carried on the back of our military. Good luck and thank you.
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-08, 11:23 PM   #3
Fishnngolfn

My brother is pretty high up with the Navy. He has been in the right place at the right time for promotions. He loves it but be prepared to move a lot. He has moved about 7 or 8 times in about 16 years.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-08, 04:49 PM   #4
cassidyta

I will never bad mouth any branch of the service. That being said, if you enlist, talk to all four branches and have a plan for what you want to do.
Make sure they are offering a marketable skill. Make sure they put it in writing in the contract BEFORE you sign it.
All 4 branches have their advantages and disadvantages. Some offer higher skill sets in certain areas.
If you are sure about the Navy, then "anchors away", but I suggest you weigh your options with all of them before you commit.
Old 09-07-08, 06:13 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i agree with casidyta in everything he said pal. most important thing is to GET A PLAN. then go for it. don't start and then stop....see it through till the end. have an old schoolmate who joined the army, he served his first term, then got out for a couple of years...and joined right back up. he is able to retire now and has a wonderful life. he served in germany, korea among alot of other places. led the tanks that closed off bagdad's back door in the last invasion of iraq. talked to him once in 26 yrs. gonna have to get ahold of him again so he can tell me of his adventures. love the guy...miss him very much. good luck pal. and may GOD bless you.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 07:55 AM   #6
Whup
BassFishin.Com Member

I was in the Submarine service for 4 years.Not to discourage you but,do you know what N.A.V.Y stands for?

Never Again Volunteer Yourself

LOL.

J/K...I joined the Navy because I had no idea what i wanted to do with my life.If i wanted to go to college or whatever.The thing I gained most from the military was disipline and an appreciation for how much my family had sacrificed for me over the years.

I agree with the above tho.Check out all the branches of service and find out what appeals to you.

Good Luck
Whup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 04:12 PM   #7
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whup View Post
I was in the Submarine service for 4 years.Not to discourage you but,do you know what N.A.V.Y stands for?

Never Again Volunteer Yourself

LOL.
I spent 12 years as one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children so I can relate.
I spent my first 4 years as a grunt who got to travel the world and shoot really cool weapons. The problem is when you are ready to get out. Except for police or post office, being proficient with weapons is not a great line on the resume.
I was very fortunate to move into computer networking after the first enlistment and it has been my career since.
I really want to stress the need for a marketable skill. I have friends who went "open contract" (this means they pick your job). Sometimes they were lucky to get a good job. Of course there were those who ended up repairing ejection seats on aircraft. Sounds cool, but still not a career choice. I have seen a lot of people who stayed in, not because they liked it, but because they couldn't do anything else.
I would never want to turn back the clock and make a different choice. Being a grunt was the greatest thing for me at that time in my life.
Old 09-09-08, 06:29 PM   #8
MrPhotographer06

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I spent 12 years as one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children so I can relate.
I spent my first 4 years as a grunt who got to travel the world and shoot really cool weapons. The problem is when you are ready to get out. Except for police or post office, being proficient with weapons is not a great line on the resume.
I was very fortunate to move into computer networking after the first enlistment and it has been my career since.
I really want to stress the need for a marketable skill. I have friends who went "open contract" (this means they pick your job). Sometimes they were lucky to get a good job. Of course there were those who ended up repairing ejection seats on aircraft. Sounds cool, but still not a career choice. I have seen a lot of people who stayed in, not because they liked it, but because they couldn't do anything else.
I would never want to turn back the clock and make a different choice. Being a grunt was the greatest thing for me at that time in my life.

ya know networking is a good choice..

the school got a new computer teacher whos teaching hardcore computer stuff.. and he didnt feel like doing it so he contracted out for someoneto run cat-5 through the school....
40,000 bucks...

200 and some odd bucks an hour..
Old 09-09-08, 08:06 PM   #9
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hey photo, ifn you are looking to go into computors, cad is a great profession to get into. pays getting outa this world for that field. look into it.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 08:18 PM   #10
Jim80

I have a lot of family in the Air Force mostly all career officers and while the service wasn't for me I have seen it do good for a lot of friends and family , just choose were you go wisely ( try not to be one the guys routinely getting shot at ) and enjoy the experiance .

Jim
Old 09-09-08, 09:22 PM   #11
MrPhotographer06

well my grandpas uncles..grandpa.. lol

so my grandpa's great great grandpa.... is on a statue from the cival war.. in front of the state house here in SC .. the statue given by the women and children of the confederate soldiers

then my grandpas uncle.. was in some kind of service..
and my grandpas dad had a heat stroke early since they farmed so my grandpa got his letter that he was going to vietnam.. and he got out of it since he had to take care of his dad..

my grandpas brother in law served in the army.. WW2... lots of europe.. foxholes... the whole deal..got shot and recieved the purple heart

my grandmas side dosent go far that i know of..

she was the youngest of 7 with 2 sisters and 5 brothers..all in service at diffrent times.. two were in at the same time and lied about not being related so they got to stick togeather at war

thats mostly all i know as far as background..

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.