Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-10, 12:33 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default What makes a good pitchin rod?

This post is NOT intended to ask for anyones brand or model preference, but rather the makings of a good pitchin rod for pitchin baits into medium to heavy cover. Lots of us are going to be buying new tackle before the spring season begins and I'm sure pitchin rods will be one of the items anglers will be looking for. I would think that what makes a perfect pitchin rod for one person may not be the same for another. Say for example if your either tall or short. Someone who is 6'6" tall might find a 7 1/2 foot rod to feel great while someone who is 5'6"tall might feel more comfortable with a 7'0" pitchin rod. Also, someone who fishes the deep south or in California where 15 pound bass are somewhat common might need a pitchin rod that is much different than say some from up north where an 8 pound bass is a monster bass. Myself, I'm in northern Indiana and I'm looking for a new pitchin rod for this year. And I'm torn about exactly what would be the best combination of specifics. For me, from past experience, I know a 7 foot rod is my choice in length. I'm fairly acurate with that length, and it feels comfortable in my hands. More so than a 7 1/2 foot rod. Next, I know I would prefer a good IM8 or better graphite blank. Light, strong, and good at telegraphing what is happening to my lure. But then we get into the power and action of the rod. A medium heavy power rod or heavy power rod? Medium fast action tip, fast tip, or extra fast action tip? It's these last to qualities I'm not sure of. For pitchin plastic baits t-rigged with a 1/2oz tungstin weight or jigs into heavy cover, I'm leaning towards a heavy action rod with a fast tip. For most of the bass I could expect to catch up here I would think that would be about right. Plus I would think a fast action tip would be easier to pitch baits with than an extra fast tip. But maybe I should go with an extra fast tip. Being I only started pitchin baits this past year, I'm fairly new at it and still learning what makes a good pitchin rod. Looking through catalogs at what the various rod makers consider a pitchin rod, you soon realize the rod makers don't seem to all agree on the criteria for a pitchin rod. So I thought this would be helpful for anyone in here who is planning to buy a rod for pitchin to read from other anglers who have plenty experience with pitchin, what they consider regarding the rods build spucifics to be a good pitchin rod?

Last edited by keithdog; 01-04-10 at 01:06 AM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.