Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-09, 12:00 AM   #1
The Doc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default hand tying jigs

Can anyone explain or point me in the direction of a how to? I'm looking to hand tie some silicone skirts (not hair jigs) I googled, searched here, and TU, but I can't find a tutorial on the web. I'd like to use wire to keep em on instead of thread, but I'll take a how to on either one. I have a fly tying bobbin and vise already... Thanks
Old 04-19-09, 04:38 PM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Are you planning to use skirt tabs or pre-made skirts? Here's a good video about making them with skirt tabs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48luv7rPjYo

After you make the skirt (or if you have a premade one) I just slide the rubber band down so it is about 1/3 away from the back end. Slide it over the hook but don't push it up all the way. Now using 22 or 24 gauge craft wire about 3-4" long make a "V" in the middle. Put that on top where you want to tie and then wrap it around once on each side so that the tag ends are back up top. Go a little extra so they cross each other. Using either needle nose pliers or safety wire twisting pliers pinch it in the middle and twist until tight. If you go too tight it will break and then just start over with a new wire. Now trim as needed and cut the rubber band off.

Two tips: Leave the weedguard out of the head until after you tie it. Glue it in as the last step.
Pull the wire tight as you wrap it around. When you twist it will make it tight, but it is easier to keep everything straight if it is tight when you wrap it.

Let me know if that helps. If not I'll be tying tonight and can make snap a couple pics.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 09:25 PM   #3
The Doc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Sweet. That helps alot.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.