Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-06, 05:14 PM   #1
wareagle_fb5308
BassFishin.Com Member

Default how much slack?

how much slack line do you guys have in when you pitch? or is it just a personal preference? im wanting to find out where i can make sure im doing it right...thx
Old 04-16-06, 05:42 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

you mean after the bait gets in the water? i give it enought to hit bottom..

zooker
Old 04-16-06, 05:43 PM   #3
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You lost me ? Slack line where ?P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-06, 06:37 PM   #4
JB

After I pitch I almost always (out of habit) pull a few more feet of line out and let the bait fall..seconds later I pull my rodtip up towards the sky to see if theres any slack, in other words I pull line back in slowly till I can feel the bait, then from there, let it set, hop or wiggle it, and start my retreive, ever so slow..
SO to answer the slack question, as soon as you bait hits bottom feel if you have any slack or a tight line....matter of preference, but I like to feel the plastic / jig down ther...anit that right guys?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-06, 08:12 PM   #5
pig n jig

Cut me some slack JB, I didn't know no better.Yeah slack is good, and then slack is bad, depends when, or how the fish are biting the jig and the depth your fishing,is it hit on the drop or on the bottom ? As a general rule of jig flipping, Slack'n on the line =slack'n on the fish in the livewell.Count the jig down in the depth your fishig too, helps decipher whether they hit it on the drop. Then there are times you fish the jig on slack line to allow them time to get to it.10-14', I use slack line 90% of the time. 0"-4' I do not want any slack line what so ever.4'-10' it depends on the fish actvity usually no slack, unless the bite is off.If this anit making sense seek help. Not mental therapy, instant message me and I will try to answer specific questions. P N j
Old 04-16-06, 08:14 PM   #6
JB

those gals left some lefthandedsmokes at your place , anit that right pnj
Old 04-16-06, 08:19 PM   #7
zooker

war eagle you want the bait to fall straight down. till it hits bottom giving a messurement of slack line depends on how deep the water is. i may be pitching to a pillar in 30 feet of water watch for line stopage at any time during the fall..

zooker
Old 04-16-06, 10:34 PM   #8
wareagle_fb5308
BassFishin.Com Member

sorry for not makin myself clear....im talkin about like before you go to pitch the bait how much line do you pull out?
Old 04-16-06, 11:46 PM   #9
Rebbasser

With a pitch enough to get the bait in my hand to pendulum it forward. For flipping, which I don't do very much due to the lakes I fish, about an arm's length.
Old 04-17-06, 12:22 AM   #10
wareagle_fb5308
BassFishin.Com Member

thx everyone!
Old 04-17-06, 05:59 AM   #11
JB

i usually take enough line out to reach my right pants pocket, and as reb stated, let it swing from the hand from there
Old 04-17-06, 07:24 AM   #12
pig n jig

You guys have got me more confused than wareagle does ? You wouldn't need any more line out than you normally stop from any other retrieve, unless your flipping, or unless you are trying to use a reel that apparently isn't very good for pitchin'.The only time you usually want to flip is in 4 feet of water or less. You keep the reel engaged after pulling enough slack line for the jig to reach the bottom. You cannot control the line very easily if the depth exceeds the length of your rod + the amount of line you can pull up by hand in one pull.To pitch you set the reel so the jig falls as free as you can get the reel to allow it to, but once the jig hits the bottom, the spool must stop releasing line at the same time the jig hits the bottom, so you don't have a spool over run(backlash).I hate to keep repeating myself, but the Daiwa magnetic system makes it easy to adjust the reel to pitch with.I can change from a 3/8 oz- 1oz. weight without readjusting the reels every time I change weight and it still falls freely on the drop.I have always stressed to buy a pitchin stick with a softer rod tip. It does 2 things for you. First it allows you to put the jig under motion without alot of arm movement to do so.It doesn't seem like a big deal, but once you pitch all day long,at the end of the day, you will know it.The second thing a softer tip does is it allows you to boat more fish on the days the normal jig bite is off.It gives you a split second more time to set the hook once you feel the fish on your jig before it feels enough resistance and lets go.You would be surprised even with braid how many fish you won't feel the tap when they already have your jig.This is what I have found that works well for me through trial and error. You can disagree with me and thats fine too. P N J
Old 04-17-06, 08:23 AM   #13
Hef
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

I usually pull out 6' 6", the same length as my rod. I use it as a reference point that way, I can judge my distance easier.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-06, 08:04 PM   #14
lizardsrule

I pull out only as much as she asks for LOL

Lizards
Old 04-18-06, 07:31 AM   #15
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
You guys have got me more confused than wareagle does ? You wouldn't need any more line out than you normally stop from any other retrieve, unless your flipping, or unless you are trying to use a reel that apparently isn't very good for pitchin'.The only time you usually want to flip is in 4 feet of water or less. You keep the reel engaged after pulling enough slack line for the jig to reach the bottom. You cannot control the line very easily if the depth exceeds the length of your rod + the amount of line you can pull up by hand in one pull.To pitch you set the reel so the jig falls as free as you can get the reel to allow it to, but once the jig hits the bottom, the spool must stop releasing line at the same time the jig hits the bottom, so you don't have a spool over run(backlash).I hate to keep repeating myself, but the Daiwa magnetic system makes it easy to adjust the reel to pitch with.I can change from a 3/8 oz- 1oz. weight without readjusting the reels every time I change weight and it still falls freely on the drop.I have always stressed to buy a pitchin stick with a softer rod tip. It does 2 things for you. First it allows you to put the jig under motion without alot of arm movement to do so.It doesn't seem like a big deal, but once you pitch all day long,at the end of the day, you will know it.The second thing a softer tip does is it allows you to boat more fish on the days the normal jig bite is off.It gives you a split second more time to set the hook once you feel the fish on your jig before it feels enough resistance and lets go.You would be surprised even with braid how many fish you won't feel the tap when they already have your jig.This is what I have found that works well for me through trial and error. You can disagree with me and thats fine too. P N J
Man you shoulda been a teacher. You got it down pat on the pitching and what rod to use. One reason I like the airrus rods so much. There M/H 7ft rod is great for me. When pictshin or flippin for that matter I guess I aint normal cause I never have the lure or line in my hands like most folks do. I use a modified roll cast or a underhandflip. Personally I think that I can get more pitches or flips doing it this way. Gottta have a reel that free spools correctly or you know the end result.
Old 04-18-06, 07:49 AM   #16
WIbassfisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My interpretation is that the original question was about flipping not pitching. I take an arms length, which is usually sufficient as I won't flip in water more that 4 feet.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.