Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-10, 02:59 AM   #1
basshunter21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Rod recommendation...

Hey guys, hows everyone doing? I bought my first baitcaster yesterday, a shimano citica and was looking for a rod recommendation. I'm looking for something ~$100, and something that is just a overall general good rod for mainly bass. I put the citica on a old ****ty rod today just to mess around with it and its sweet, I was about to sleep with it last night haha. Its my baby. I thought the learning curve was going to be greater than what it was. Another guestion of mine was, could someone maybe explain to me the brake system on it? I've been looking online for a explanation on it and havent found much, other than 3 is a good point to start at. I would appreciate it guys. THANKS!
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 04:07 AM   #2
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'll keep it simple. The more brakes you have on, the more braking will be applied during the cast. Most will find having 3 brakes on and 3 off to be a comfortable setting. Some eventually will gravitate toward 2 on and 4 off, like me.

You ever see a figure skater spinning around with her arms tucked in? You know that she will spin around fairly fast. When she extends her arms out, she still spins but you will notice she does so at a much slower rate. Well, her arms are akin to your centrifugal brakes. With all of them tucked in (and therefore off), the spool will spin quite fast. Pull out some of those brakes, say 3, and that would be the parallel of the skater sticking out her arms. With the arms out or the brakes out, the skater and spool will spin at a slower (and therefore for the spool and your sake) and more manageable rate to make it easier to control.

Congrats on your new reel. I too learned rather quickly with a shimano reel and its centrifugal brakes.

Oops! Forgot to make rod recommendations. Look at the Lamiglas Excel rods. I think they are among the better $100 rods out there. I would also have you take a look at the Compre line or the Cabela mag touch.
Old 07-08-10, 06:53 AM   #3
Ebbetsguy

Fenwick HMX
Dawia Tierra:
Cabelas Fish Eagle II
BPS Extreme
,,,,there are more out there, these are the rods I have used

You should also watch the BPS Clearance and Cablea's Bargin bin: they frequently discount rods of a higher value at this time of year
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 07:10 AM   #4
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If you are anything like me, you will like matching rod/reel brands... so if i could afford a shimano reel and hadd $100 to get a rod I would look at the Shimano Compre...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 09:17 AM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

There are more and better rods in that price range now than there have ever been. So you've got a lot to choose from.

Shimano Compre, Falcon Bucoo, and Abu Garcia Vendetta's a few I'd recommend taking a look at.

As for the brakes, 3 is a good place to start. Just make sure with centrifugal brakes, they are set up symmetrically. So if you have two on, they need to be across from each other. If you use three, you need to have every other one on to keep it symmetrical.

BB
Old 07-08-10, 12:53 PM   #6
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Rods:

Falcon Bucoo, Original or you may find a Lowrider on Ebay for $100 or less. Just don't think you can find a better production rod anywhere else.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 01:07 PM   #7
coachpurdy

I like the BPS rods, the bionic blade andthe extreme rods are good for under $100. I've also looked at the carboon lite but haven't used one before'
coachpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 01:44 PM   #8
fish_hunter
BassFishin.Com Member

Try the Skeet Reese rods by Wright and McGill...the S-Curve allows a lot more action, in my opinion. They are all pretty much under 100 besides the signature series. I like the feel of it, and it could go really well with your new baitcaster.
I agree with Ebbetsguy thought, check the clearance section of BPS and Cabelas.
Good Luck
fish_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 02:10 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_hunter View Post
Try the Skeet Reese rods by Wright and McGill...the S-Curve allows a lot more action, in my opinion. They are all pretty much under 100 besides the signature series. I like the feel of it, and it could go really well with your new baitcaster.
I agree with Ebbetsguy thought, check the clearance section of BPS and Cabelas.
Good Luck
I wasn't too impressed with the W&M Skeet Reese Tessera rods. Along with the problems people have been having with loose reel seat, I've noticed fairly poor construction on multiple rods on the store shelves. It's a shame too cause I love the looks of them.

BB
Old 07-08-10, 03:08 PM   #10
Rebbasser

BH21, this will let you set the reel up and be ready to roll:

http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bait101.htm
Old 07-08-10, 05:48 PM   #11
basshunter21

Thanks for the advice guys. I went and ended up buying a st croix triumph. I ended up wanting to save a little bit of money and got it for $78 with a yr warranty and a sweet st croix sweatshirt for free.
Old 07-08-10, 10:18 PM   #12
tim4081

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshunter21 View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I went and ended up buying a st croix triumph. I ended up wanting to save a little bit of money and got it for $78 with a yr warranty and a sweet st croix sweatshirt for free.
Good choice. Enjoy your new combo and let us know how you like it.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 01:00 AM   #13
basshunter21

ohh man I love the new rod and reel, its so smooth. I like fishing with the citica a lot more than just my shimano spinning reel, its a dream to fish with. I love it, Im so excited to really fish it. I got to get out for like only a hr today and caught a few LM's but its been to damn hot out, the fish have been lazy.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.