Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-10, 08:43 AM   #1
Rolling Tide
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Note to Self

Always check the radar before going fishing! The wife asked me this past saturday afternoon if I would take her fishing. So of course I said heck yeah I will take you fishing!

I had washed and waxed the boat that day and fixed a short in my head lights that needed to be fixed.

Well we get over to honeycomb near Guntersville Lake to fish that evening. We get there and it is HOT and sunny! We get over by some docks and the bass were tearing up some spinners. Well we keep fishing and all of the sudden there was this black cloud coming in from Huntsville. So I called my brother and he looked at the radar and told me we should be fine it is moving southeast and should miss us. So i told my wife what he said so she wanted to keep fishing since we were already there. Boy was that a mistake. within about 10 minutes of that call it was black as night and raining so hard I could not see the trees that were 20 yards from me. The wind was about 20+ mph. Well to top it all off I knew there was an empty boat house we could go get in, but the wind had blow into the thick grass and were stuck. After about 20 minutes of working the big motor and the trolling motor we got out of the grass. Now the boat will not plain out because it is so full of water. It is trying to pump the water out but it is coming in faster than it could pump it out. We get to the ramp and there is 4 boats waiting in line to take out. So we ended us moving down to the bridge to wait it out.

It was crazy!!!
Rolling Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 09:10 AM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It's no fun when that happens. Our club in Michigan had that happen last year on opening day. It was nice and sunny all day until about 2 when all of a sudden very high winds came in, very heavy rain, and lots of lightning. I really get scared when there is lightning like that and I even speared a wave on the little Kent Lake getting back in. Luckily I tied up on the back side of the dock out of the wind. I think MIBasser was able to get his boat out in time. Some guys in a Lund tied up on the outside of the dock and there boat got the crap beat out of it with the side of the hull all bashed in! I keep the weather radio on when out on big water but I realize I should check it every time.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 09:35 AM   #3
Rolling Tide
BassFishin.Com Member

I thought it was about to come a tornado. I really thought the boat was going to sink it was filling up so fast! LOL
Old 06-28-10, 11:35 AM   #4
geezer1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Might be a good idea to put a second bilge pump in, Rolling Tide. A lot of us do for the very reason you experienced.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 12:12 PM   #5
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've been in that exact situation on G'ville, except I always have made it back to the ramp to sit. Well, last year I did sit on an island north of seabold for about 30 minutes, but the storm went around and I got back. With the mountains its kinda hard to see whats coming from the west. You will get some mean thunderstorms out that way. Be careful.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 12:44 PM   #6
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

"Any port in a storm" - one good thing about recalling a bad time....you can recall the bad time and learnt a thing or two.
Oh...and 2nd note to self - have a rescussion with brother!
Old 06-29-10, 07:33 AM   #7
Rolling Tide
BassFishin.Com Member

I never thought about the taking the radio with me. That is a pretty good idea and will try to find one this weekend.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.