Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-11, 12:23 AM   #1
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default fishing sucks

is it just me, or does fishing just blow this year so far? i have been at least 15-20 times since feb and 'might' have a 12 lb bag with all trips combined, with many blanks. today water was at about 60 deg and i caught 2 of the shortest bass known to man and thats it! at this rate the spawn will be over before i catch anything. last year i had similar results. but not near this bad. ive gave up trying to think i know where fish should be. cause apparently im wrong.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 11:06 AM   #2
HarveysMinnow
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Embrey, if you're waiting for somebody to try to change your present perception, I'm not sure I'm your guy. The luck you've had so far sounds about like mine, except I have not been on as many outings as you have. Notice that I used the term "luck". No matter how good a fisherman we may think we are, we all strike out at times. We can own the very best equipment there is and still not overcome the fickle nature of our adversary, Mr. Bass, on all occasions.

With all this in mind, there are some factors that may be contributing to our failures so far. I believe one of these is the rather harsh Winter that many areas experienced. This has slowed everything down. So the spawns may not have happened yet in your area. But even if you miss the spawn, the fish will still be there, if they were ever there in the first place. About 90% of my fishing is 'from the bank', so I don't concern myself too much with where the fish should be...cause I probably can't reach that spot anyway. It's enough for me to say 'they are in the water' and sooner or later one will happen upon my bait.

From a philosophical prospective, I think we should also keep in mind that catching fish is only a part of the appeal of fishing. Granted, it's a majorly important part, but another part is getting outdoors on a nice spring day and enjoying the sights and sounds of nature. Yet another is being able to actually use all the new tackle that the monkey forced us to purchase during the long cold winter. I have several new bait setups that I haven't even tried yet. So, it's still early in the season, and there's plenty of time left to snag a big-un. Hang in there buddy.

Old 04-09-11, 12:26 PM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Try tossing a spinnerbait around, they've always worked well for me around 60* water temps.

Fishing sucks around here too right now.. it's HARD to get the fish with ice on the lake!

Last edited by Bassboss; 04-09-11 at 02:52 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 01:24 PM   #4
boloson

just be thankful u actually caught something. here in MA there's nothing brewing, not even a bubble
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 02:43 PM   #5
LilJakeC
BassFishin.Com Member

It may just suck for your area. In SW Iowa I have caught over 100 bass in just 5 outings. The worst day on the water was this past Wed. when I only caught 17 bass. All but maybe 10 of the bass I have caught have came on a Red Eye Shad.
Old 04-09-11, 03:13 PM   #6
bamabassman

fellas.....look, as ya'll know, i ain't the BIG bass catcher. and i too have had my hard days (yesterday is a great example). but trust me.....it getting time. i got 3 little dinks today after lisa MADE me take her out. she got nuthin. the bass are making their beds on weiss lake here. it's coming gang.....it's coming.
Old 04-09-11, 03:31 PM   #7
nofearengineer

Embrey, it isn't you...it's Patoka. I can't catch jack there either.
Old 04-09-11, 05:05 PM   #8
Embrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Embrey, it isn't you...it's Patoka. I can't catch jack there either.
you are correct. it smoked me today too...i tried to stretch the 2 i caught but no dice. i will be cooking a 6.5 lb walleye later though.
Old 04-09-11, 07:07 PM   #9
danielbasspro

it's just you man. we've been loading the boat.
Old 04-09-11, 07:55 PM   #10
Embrey

i load the boat when i go to florida too...you dont understand this lake. lol
Old 04-09-11, 08:28 PM   #11
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well Embry , its not just you. The last two club tournaments I have been to , I have not caught a keeper fish yet , and alot of the other members that finish good have had the same luck. We have one tomorrow as well , but I will not be able to attend with my new baby at home... I am happy for the baby , but boy would I love to go fishing !!!
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 10:08 PM   #12
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
i load the boat when i go to florida too...you dont understand this lake. lol
I tell people they just don't know what they're talkin about until they've had their butts handed to them Patoka style....but there's just one way to know.....go there.

I keep hoping that when I get to Wheeler/Wilson, I will get to experience real bass fishing for a change. I'm already figuring on going to KY Lake more than Patoka now.
Old 04-09-11, 10:23 PM   #13
cassidyta

Well, the one thing I know for sure. 99% of the time not fishing sucks more than bad fishing.

I will also add that I will never judge someone fishing on any lake that I don't know. I figure that until I am casting in your water, I have no reason to think I would do better.

Last edited by cassidyta; 04-09-11 at 10:29 PM.
cassidyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 10:56 PM   #14
Embrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Well, the one thing I know for sure. 99% of the time not fishing sucks more than bad fishing.
i would agree with that....until ive done it about 10-15 times. then it starts to get depressing,much cussing,etc.
Old 04-09-11, 10:58 PM   #15
Embrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I tell people they just don't know what they're talkin about until they've had their butts handed to them Patoka style....but there's just one way to know.....go there.

I keep hoping that when I get to Wheeler/Wilson, I will get to experience real bass fishing for a change. I'm already figuring on going to KY Lake more than Patoka now.
KY is great...also, i can go to dale hollow and round up some nice fish. im just learning that for the first year and havent done bad at all. then patoka does this and kills it. and they say dale is a very hard lake to fish. i agree it is, but then , theres patoka
Old 04-09-11, 11:01 PM   #16
bamabassman

listen guys, since ya'll are heading this way anyway...drive a little further and hit g'ville. is it that much farther for real? i dunno. never fished patoka, and it seems like i really don't want to hahaha. sorry guys.
Old 04-09-11, 11:12 PM   #17
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
i would agree with that....until ive done it about 10-15 times. then it starts to get depressing,much cussing,etc.
I have been there more than once and agree that it can get frustrating. I went my first tourney season and blanked the first 6 events.
Old 04-10-11, 01:14 AM   #18
Bender

I've heard horror stories about how tough Patoka is. Last year there was a regional event (TBF maybe?) and many of the guys I talked to blanked. They said that lake is really tough. I've driven by it when visiting Jasper, IN and thought it looked good but now I will be sure to not even bother planning a trip there. It sounds like there really aren't too many bass in there.

Is there another lake you can try Embrey?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-11, 10:16 AM   #19
Embrey

oh i go other places. this is just the only one close enough that i can run a big motor on without making a big trip out of it. i fish some small troll lakes, but i hate having to troll every where.
Old 04-10-11, 10:19 AM   #20
Embrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
listen guys, since ya'll are heading this way anyway...drive a little further and hit g'ville. is it that much farther for real? i dunno. never fished patoka, and it seems like i really don't want to hahaha. sorry guys.
ive been there,but its really about another 2-2.5 hrs for me vs dale or KY lake. and KY can be just as good i would think.
Old 04-10-11, 05:58 PM   #21
bamabassman

correct you are my friend. but if oyu're ever in the state, give me a shout. ok? i'll show ya how to catch dinks,lol.
Old 04-10-11, 10:16 PM   #22
Embrey

i was gonna come back this spring, but gas got stupid high so i didnt.
Old 04-11-11, 08:54 PM   #23
crowedog
BassFishin.Com Member

I,m as hard headed as they come. I refuse to use certain lure's, so take this very lightly.
Try changing your lure choice's and narrow your fishing spot's down to place's you are sure as you can be there should be fish. Try different thing's in a few spots. maybe you'll get lucky. Good luck. I'm new and really enjoying you guy's post's learning quite bit thanks.
crowedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-11, 11:25 AM   #24
crappieman
BassFishin.Com Member

i did good yesterday with a small crankbait, only supposed to dive 2 feet, and put 2 slip weights on about 6 inches up the line and let it sink. i caught 3 nice bass, not the best, but keeper size, and 6 crappie.
and yeah, i had to travel a ways to get those, where i live, the fishing i sucking right now.
crappieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-11, 07:00 PM   #25
keithdog

Considering the title to your post I just had to add...So do the Cubs!!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.