Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-10, 07:35 PM   #1
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Got my Kistler finesse rod, need reel suggestions.

I recently bought a Kistler Argon Finesse spinning rod. Now I'm looking for a nice reel for it. I want something light. Also how about some ideas for line. This setup is going to be used for drop shotting. Price can be up to $150. Thanks.
Old 10-21-10, 08:27 PM   #2
Tavery5

I would look at two reels, the 1st would be new Pflueger Supreme XT, it is a mag reeel so salt water would be out of the question. The other is the Shimano Stradic FI, might be a little out of your price range, but you should be able to find one on sale or on ebay in your price range.

As far as line goes, I also have a couple of suggestions, seems like more and more people are using braid with a floro leader for D.S., the other way to go is straight floro, or a copolymer with a floro coating, the later is much less expensive so if you don't like it you would not be out much. Floro is great for finesse fishing because it is almost invisible in water, has good sensitivity and great abrasion resistance.

I am sure you will get great feedback, take your time and get what works for you.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-10, 09:15 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've used my Pflueger Patriarch for over a year now, and have no complaints now that I've switched to braid. When I was using fluorocarbon, I experienced horrible line twist. I personally don't think Pflueger has as good of a line management system as Daiwa and Shimano.

I bought one of the Daiwa Caldias when BPS had them on sale earlier this year, and absolutely love it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Daiwa spinning reel, and I'd buy another Caldia. Check ebay for them. You can get them for about $150 if you're patient.

I'd also check out the new Patriarch XT, I'd just hope Pflueger has improved their line management system.

As for line, I'd highly suggest using 10-15lb braid with a fluorocarbon leader. If not, 8lb is a good choice for all purpose fluorocarbon. I'd go 6lb if you're going to be dropshotting. Seaguar InvisX is my FC of choice, especially for spinning reels. It's as manageable as a good mono.

BB
Old 10-21-10, 09:52 PM   #4
basshunter21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Any shimano in your price range, I LOVE shimano reels. I wont ever buy any other brand of reel. Ive never had a problem with any shimano reel and Ive had quite a few for a while.
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-10, 10:09 PM   #5
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I've used my Pflueger Patriarch for over a year now, and have no complaints now that I've switched to braid. When I was using fluorocarbon, I experienced horrible line twist. I personally don't think Pflueger has as good of a line management system as Daiwa and Shimano.

I bought one of the Daiwa Caldias when BPS had them on sale earlier this year, and absolutely love it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Daiwa spinning reel, and I'd buy another Caldia. Check ebay for them. You can get them for about $150 if you're patient.

I'd also check out the new Patriarch XT, I'd just hope Pflueger has improved their line management system.

As for line, I'd highly suggest using 10-15lb braid with a fluorocarbon
leader. If not, 8lb is a good choice for all purpose fluorocarbon. I'd go 6lb if you're going to be dropshotting. Seaguar InvisX is my FC of choice, especially for spinning reels. It's as manageable as a good mono.

BB
Did you get the names of your reels mixed up? The Patriarch Spinning reel to my knowledge was only released in Sept of this year. I don't think they make a Pflueger Patriarch XT in Spinning. I believe their newest spinning reels are the Patriarch and Supreme XT new version. However it is certainly possible I am mistaken.
Old 10-22-10, 03:25 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Did you get the names of your reels mixed up? The Patriarch Spinning reel to my knowledge was only released in Sept of this year. I don't think they make a Pflueger Patriarch XT in Spinning. I believe their newest spinning reels are the Patriarch and Supreme XT new version. However it is certainly possible I am mistaken.
Whoa.. I really messed that one up, LOL.

So what I meant was I've been using my Supreme for over a year now, and that you should check out the new Supreme XT or the new Patriarch.

BB
Old 10-23-10, 02:52 PM   #7
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave0943 View Post
Revo, Curado, Patriarch, nice choices. I will also say a PQ at 70.00 would be awesome on that stick!!. That would leave a few bucks for some lures or another PQ in a different gear ratio. Did I say I was getting really partial to the PQ'S?
Dave

Hey Dave, great reels indeed, but he is looking for something to put on a spinning rod.
Old 10-23-10, 03:04 PM   #8
dave0943

Default I'm bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Hey Dave, great reels indeed, but he is looking for something to put on a spinning rod.
I'm bad! It's a bear getting old. I think Pflueger has of the best spinning reels. A reel I'd look into for that rod would be a Abu Soron. Love mine. I've had good luck with my Presidents as well. Some of the mid range Shimanos might be tempting. I personally haven't had a whole lot of experience with Shimano spinning reels but others swear by them. I've been heavy into Abu most of my life until I started adding Pflueger's to my arsemal the past 3 years.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 11:52 PM   #9
BigBassin144

I haven't used a Soron, but if you're looking for something lightweight, that's not it.

The new Revo Premier spinning reel is sweet, but out of your price range.

BB
Old 10-25-10, 01:37 PM   #10
dave0943

My Soron is a bit heavier than my Presidents. It really doesn't bother me. The reel is excellent. I guess weight for me isn't so much a factor for me. I look at how smooth, and quality of build. The Revo Premier is awesome. I handled one at the store. I just can't justify that kind of scratch for a spinning reel when there are so many excellent reels for a whole lot less.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 01:43 PM   #11
BigBassin144

I definitely agree that weight isn't as big a deal with spinning gear than with casting gear, at least for me anyways.

I also agree that you can get a good spinning reel without dropping a load of cash. It really all comes down to which you like the best, as even ergonomics aren't as big a deal with spinning reels.

I definitely think the Pflueger Supreme is a good reel, and I'd bet the new Supreme XT and the new Patriarch are going to be good reels as well. I'm also a big fan of my Daiwa spinning reel, and would recommend taking a look at the Advantage, or the Sol in you're willing to spend a little more or look around for a good deal.

Oh, and Bob, we want some pictures when you get the combo together!

BB
Old 10-25-10, 06:16 PM   #12
bassinbob

BB, I am going to take the rod to Cabelas and try some different reels. The Soron seems to be a good bet, but I like the Shimano C14's. I have a President spinning reel and have problems with it. But then again I might just have gotten a bad one. Anyway I see most light reels are around 7 ozs. and the others are around 9ozs. Just want to make sure it balances nicely.
Old 10-25-10, 08:53 PM   #13
Tavery5

Hey Bassinbob, you might want to take a look at Gander Mountains new X-Factor, spinning reel, http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...1&merchID=4006. It looks and feels an awfull lot like the Pflueger Supreme XT, but I like the looks of it allot better.
Old 10-25-10, 09:16 PM   #14
Old Hooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshunter21 View Post
Any shimano in your price range, I LOVE shimano reels. I wont ever buy any other brand of reel. Ive never had a problem with any shimano reel and Ive had quite a few for a while.
I have to agree with Basshunter. I have a Spirex 2500 and it's a great reel that won't break the bank at $60. Some of the higher price reels may fit what you are looking for a little better, but I would look at a Shimano first.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.