Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-07, 09:36 PM   #1
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Really Cool

I was fishing today in a little pond behind my house just to mess around for a half hour and think. I was casting a senko paddle tail, texas rigged weightless, and not really concentrating too hard. I caught a couple half pound to pound bass, when I hooked another little one, I watched it jump, then started playing it in. About ten feet offshore, it started freaking out, zigzagging real fast, diving, the whole nine, when I felt a big thump, and the line went slack. So I started reeling, and I felt a little movement on the end of the line. As I started to get the fish in, I saw a bass that went about 6 pounds sort of chasing and charging my fish. When I brought it in, I saw a huge chunk of scales missing off the side of the head by the gill plate, and just towards the tail end of the pectorals. This bass was all of half a pound, it kind of suprised me that a 6 pound bass would go after it...After reviving it, it swam away just fine, and I didn't see the big one the rest of the evening. I'll get it soon though, and put a picture up....
Old 10-30-07, 10:20 PM   #2
brushhog

Great Story....I've seen the same thing once or twice, never with the actual war wound. I've often wondered about throwing your lure past someone who has hooked a fish because many times I've seen other sometimes bigger fish following...
Old 10-30-07, 10:30 PM   #3
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kennsandy

been a while since i had that happen, but i do remember one that really tripped me out. was reeling in a very small bass that managed to hook himself on my pop-r. jokingly, i started to reel him in really fast, and to my surprise, he got followed all the way to the boat. not only that, but the very large bass stayed right there by the boat, watching. the small bass was hanging over the edge, and the big bass just stared, if i dipped his tail in the water, he would attack him. the larger bass looked to have been hooked or injured in the eye, and when he would strike at teh smaller one, would always miss to one side. very weird thing, but we do see some weird interesting things in the water.

ken
kennsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 10:59 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

here on table rock it is pretty common when you find schooling kentuckies to have several follow a hooked fish all the way to the boat trying to steal the bait out of your fishes mouth. even hooked up on a second fish when they are doing this. never had a big bass try to eat a smaller one that i know of. i have heard that a largemouth can eat something up to 1/3 it's size. not sure if that is all true or not but i wouldn't doubt them trying. cool story!
Old 10-31-07, 03:14 PM   #5
bassinbob

Hey brushhog, Rowland Martin does it all the time. I fish mostly stained waters. Never had the pleasure of watching this happen.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.