Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-09, 11:25 AM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Never heard of this one.(boat technique)

I know in the past we talk about how fish hear...Low vs high frequencies,etc
Well I went fishing saturday morning with my buddy,and we talk about our friend's trip.....We have a friend that never fishes,but his dad does all the time...So of course,this friend goes out with his dad and a guide and catches 30+ strippers plus 6 catfish one weighing 17lbs (using the ribcage from the stripper)

and yea.........Im still a little pee'd about that!..Our friend ,who is a gaming nerd,just goes out and catches more fish than me and my buddy could ever do in one trip.
Anyway,lol
So of course we ask him how did they do it?....Well they started by finding the shad by watching the birds dive and using electronics...When they found that..They used swimbaits and just sunk em(Im assuming dropshots,but I forgot to ask)...When they werent biting the guide said ''well make em bite''....He took a rubber mallet and went to front of the boat,got down and started hitting the side of the hull...My buddy said within 15 seconds two poles went off and they landed the first two strippers

I still havent quite wrapped my head around this one?
Old 12-07-09, 12:42 PM   #2
MississippiBoy

Something similar happens on the Mississippi River by where I used to live. People catfishing from the bank would get exited when they saw a tugboat coming by. Something about the low frequency rumble from the engines would excite the catfish, making them more active and more likely to bite. I guess the thumps from hitting the boat had a similar effect on the stripers (1 "P" in striper. 2 "P's" makes it something different entirely.)
Haven't you ever seen Jaws II?
Old 12-07-09, 12:49 PM   #3
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Something similar happens on the Mississippi River by where I used to live. People catfishing from the bank would get exited when they saw a tugboat coming by. Something about the low frequency rumble from the engines would excite the catfish, making them more active and more likely to bite. I guess the thumps from hitting the boat had a similar effect on the stripers (1 "P" in striper. 2 "P's" makes it something different entirely.)
Haven't you ever seen Jaws II?
Haha nice catch on the spelling error...Just dont ask me to spell Virginia before the coffee kicks in.
I was just thinking about the noise getting the fish to move...Thats the only thing I can make of it....Very interesting tatic though, that seemed to work flawlessly that day
Old 12-07-09, 12:56 PM   #4
cassidyta

Waffle,

My primary fishing pond is at my work. The pond is at the end of a Marine Corps runway. When the jets first take off in the morning, the fish go crazy. The vibrations across the top of th ewater make the bass jump as though they are chasing shad. (The pond doesn't have any)
After the first 30 mins the fish appear to be immune to the noise.
Old 12-07-09, 01:21 PM   #5
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have a theory here that the low frequency noises sound like other big fish splashing around and feeding. Many schooling predatory fish are known to be somewhat competitive. If they think other fish are feeding, they don't want to miss out.

I have seen entire schools of Amberjacks caught on bare hooks on 6 feet of line attacked to a wooden pole. Once the fishermen got the first few fish to bite, the rest crowded in to get their share, and pretty soon the boat was full. (This was an old documentary...this is probably the kind of fishing which depleted the fishtocks).

Animals are weird with low fequency. My parrot, while not a fish, decides to splash around in his water dish every time I run the vacuum cleaner. I think the low rumble instinctively makes him think of a thunderstorm, and hence...BATH-TIME!!! It's really funny to watch.
Old 12-07-09, 02:43 PM   #6
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I have a theory here that the low frequency noises sound like other big fish splashing around and feeding. Many schooling predatory fish are known to be somewhat competitive. If they think other fish are feeding, they don't want to miss out.

I have seen entire schools of Amberjacks caught on bare hooks on 6 feet of line attacked to a wooden pole. Once the fishermen got the first few fish to bite, the rest crowded in to get their share, and pretty soon the boat was full. (This was an old documentary...this is probably the kind of fishing which depleted the fishtocks).

Animals are weird with low fequency. My parrot, while not a fish, decides to splash around in his water dish every time I run the vacuum cleaner. I think the low rumble instinctively makes him think of a thunderstorm, and hence...BATH-TIME!!! It's really funny to watch.
Thats explains why when ever I play my bass,my wife leaves the room and watches Glee...Creatures do act strange around low frequencies cause show is awful.

I wonder if there was a way to simulate this while fishing from the bank??
Like dipping the open end of a large bucket underwater and lightly hitting it with a mallet?
Old 12-07-09, 03:49 PM   #7
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have done something simiar i said , "I am BIRDMAN" and i clapped my hands two times and a huge flock of birds came flying in it was awesome. But anywho I have done something where i was fishing with a handline with a live bluegill under a dock and my friend spooked it off so i hit the dock and splashed a little water and i guess the commotion brought him back.
Old 12-07-09, 04:07 PM   #8
Dr G
BassFishin.Com Member

Here’s a little story from Homer Circle’s “Bass Wisdom.”

“I was guiding a couple of perch fishermen on Lake Erie, and the usual reef where they hung out in schools just didn’t pay off. It was so slow I decided to move to another spot.
I began to pull in the Danforth anchor and heard it clank on the rocks. Immediately, all three rods started jumping with perch. We rebaited, I clanked the anchor, and three more perch. We tried no clanking and got no perch.
We sat there and clanked up three limits of perch. I tried other anchors but their sounds didn’t have it; the Danforth had a different ring to it. I was able to duplicate it with a metal bar and usually – not always – could turn on enough perch for a day’s catch.”
Homer goes on, “Here’s the point: The average angler would never connect a vibrating motor or a clanking anchor to catching fish.”
Dr G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-09, 04:19 PM   #9
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
Here’s a little story from Homer Circle’s “Bass Wisdom.”

“I was guiding a couple of perch fishermen on Lake Erie, and the usual reef where they hung out in schools just didn’t pay off. It was so slow I decided to move to another spot.
I began to pull in the Danforth anchor and heard it clank on the rocks. Immediately, all three rods started jumping with perch. We rebaited, I clanked the anchor, and three more perch. We tried no clanking and got no perch.
We sat there and clanked up three limits of perch. I tried other anchors but their sounds didn’t have it; the Danforth had a different ring to it. I was able to duplicate it with a metal bar and usually – not always – could turn on enough perch for a day’s catch.”
Homer goes on, “Here’s the point: The average angler would never connect a vibrating motor or a clanking anchor to catching fish.”
Good ole Uncle Homer...I read his articles first in every issue usually
Old 12-07-09, 08:23 PM   #10
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

I was fishing up in N.Y state, can't remember the lake but I couldn't buy a bite. I was in about 6 ft of water with a lot of weeds about 2 ft under the surface. I said h*ll with this , started doing donuts with my boat(someone once said to try this.), shut it down and started catching fish...Go figure.
Old 12-18-09, 08:45 AM   #11
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

Interesting cause I just seen that done on tv the other day. I think its called clunking and they caught a lot of catfish, but they took a paddle out and smacked the water not the boat.
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-09, 08:52 AM   #12
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

People down here use corks to pop and thrash the water, attracting saltwater fish. I have also heard making a damn racket can help stir bluegill up.

As if we bassfishermen dont have enough variables, there are some days where you can be too noisy just walking around deck and others where you cant be noisy enough, apparently. I think next time I go fishing I'll take an ipod and blast van halen or something as an experiment in fish pyscology. I'm assuming the fish will be like everyone else in their preference for the early stuff.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.