Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-10, 03:30 PM   #1
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Talking So many jigs to choose from

I need help finding the right jig. Im fishin fairly muddy/muddy water anywhere from 2-5 feet of water. So I want a couple jigs. 1. Flippin into very dense cover. 2. Throwing into sticks, laydowns,docks. Favorite Colors and brand names would be appreciated. I'm also looking for another jig, in which I will fish in a very clear,deep lake. This lake has minnows and loads of bluegill. The whole lake is covered on the bottom with grass, so whatjig would you guys recommend for this? Also the weight for the jigs would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-15-10, 03:36 PM   #2
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Besides a thunderstruck jig or two I throw the megastrike evolution jig almost exclusively. There are times when I fish different jigs but the evolution 3/8 oz jig is by far my favorite. I fish shallow water, pitchin & flipping and even drag them as deep as 12-15 ft
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 05:27 PM   #3
LilJakeC
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbasspro View Post
I need help finding the right jig. Im fishin fairly muddy/muddy water anywhere from 2-5 feet of water. So I want a couple jigs. 1. Flippin into very dense cover. 2. Throwing into sticks, laydowns,docks. Favorite Colors and brand names would be appreciated. I'm also looking for another jig, in which I will fish in a very clear,deep lake. This lake has minnows and loads of bluegill. The whole lake is covered on the bottom with grass, so whatjig would you guys recommend for this? Also the weight for the jigs would be appreciated. Thanks.
I really like the SK Hack Attack jigs. These jigs were made to go into the thickest brush that you can find. I like a 3/8oz black/blue jig in muddy water that is under 6ft deep and is above 60 degrees. When it gets deeper than that I like a 1/2oz jig.
For deep clear water I like a 1/2 or 3/4oz jig depending on aggresive the fish are. If they are really aggresive I will throw a 3/4oz jig and get a reaction strike from the bass. I like colors that have greens, oranges, and a couple strands of chartruese mixed in them.
Old 11-15-10, 06:36 PM   #4
c-RiggVA
BassFishin.Com Member

Black and Blue are my favorites to throw in Murky/Stained Water. I usually throw the lightest jig I can and still maintain a good feel. Current and wind play a big part in that for me. That being said, I usually end up throwing a 1/4 or 3/8 oz Jig. If I have to go deep, I usually throw something else. Clearer water I will throw a Green pumpkin Jig.

Check out Flatlands Custom Tackle. Joey Watts makes some incredible Jigs!!! I especially like his Pro Model Flip Jigs.
c-RiggVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 07:28 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

In most of the area lakes around here bluegill is the prime forage for larger preditors.I have found the Strike King KVD swim jig in 1/4oz bluegill pattern works very well. I add a soft swimbait for a trailor, the Optimum Double Diamond in the 3.75" size. This rig works great. Kevin himself suggested this swim bait for my swim jigs as a trailor and he really was right on. Thanks Kev!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 01:12 PM   #6
Dominic
BassFishin.Com Member

The way I approach jig fishing is:
Muddy water: dark colors (black, black blue, black blue purple)
Clear water: natural colors (green pumpkin, watermelon, brown orange, etc.)
Grass fishing: bullet style head
Hard bottom: football style head

For an all around head size 3/8-1/2 will cover most situations, aside from flippin into heavy cover. For this I'd go with something around 3/4-5/8 in a punch or compacted bullet style.

Football Jig

5/8 Punch Jig

Grass Jig

Last edited by Dominic; 11-18-10 at 01:17 PM. Reason: pics too big
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 04:37 PM   #7
Ebbetsguy

You fellas may want to contact Dominic, he makes some great jigs, and he is great to deal with.I have bought from him a few times, he has become my main source of jigs.
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 06:18 PM   #8
Dominic
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks again for the compliments.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-10, 03:24 PM   #9
james86

I almost always use a flipping jig Blue/Black with a blue black trailer such as a Yum Wooly Bully or Zoom chunk. I fish mostly very muddy water. Stick with it. Once you figure out how to catch them on a jig I'd be willing to bet it will become one of your "go to" baits.
james86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-10, 03:25 PM   #10
james86

Also in my opinion a rattle is a must in muddy water.
james86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-10, 11:56 AM   #11
Jim80

i have been using a lot of jigs from Kietech , their tungsten casting jigs and football jigs are tough to beat . They have a nice small profile even in the larger sizes . I have also been using my beat up rage tail frogs for jig trailers just cut them in half and add it to the jig , they move a lot of water when you swim them and really contrast a smaller profile jig nicely . i have done well with them .

Jim

Last edited by Jim80; 11-25-10 at 12:03 PM.
Jim80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-10, 11:26 AM   #12
Ebbetsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by james86 View Post
The only time I use anything resembling a rattle is when I am trying to imitate a crayfish, because the naturally "click" under water. The rattle thing is highly overrated and in a lot of cases shuts a bite down

A while ago, a few years actually, any crank bait ( imitating bait fish)that rattled was tossed. kept some Crayfish patterned DT's that rattled but went to Shad Raps and a couple of bagleys, and even though I would rather throw jigs and plastics, when needed these silent cranks , out fished my partners NOISY Lucky Craft and Norman Baits
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-10, 12:42 PM   #13
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbasspro View Post

Daniel, a swimjig would be a great bait for your deep clear lake. They are designed to come through grass without causing too much disturbance, and they imitate bait fish very well. I amlost always start out with a blue/black color, and then make a progression through watermelon/green pumpkin and finally to the lighter colors like chartruese and white. I let the fish tell me what they want, if they are nipping the tails of of your trailers you are close, change your retrieval speed, or change colors. For fishing in the deeper lakes, I would use a 5/16 or 3/8 depending on the depth you want to fish.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-10, 12:48 PM   #14
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbetsguy View Post
The only time I use anything resembling a rattle is when I am trying to imitate a crayfish, because the naturally "click" under water. The rattle thing is highly overrated and in a lot of cases shuts a bite down

A while ago, a few years actually, any crank bait ( imitating bait fish)that rattled was tossed. kept some Crayfish patterned DT's that rattled but went to Shad Raps and a couple of bagleys, and even though I would rather throw jigs and plastics, when needed these silent cranks , out fished my partners NOISY Lucky Craft and Norman Baits

I think you both have made great points, I don't think fish prefer rattles or no rattles 100% of the time. Spooked fish in clear water can def. be intimidated by loud flashy baits sometimes, fish in muddy water sometimes need all the help they can get in locating baits, hence the bulkier jigs, bigger trailers and use of rattles. I think we are lucky that the mfg provide us with so many choices, more weapons to intice Mr. Largemouth.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-10, 04:05 PM   #15
carolina-rig-01

Quote:

I understand what you are saying, and I believe that at times this way of thinking can be very productive. However there are other factors to consider than just whether you are trying to imitate a baitfish or a crawdad. Fishing pressure can have a lot to do with it for example. If your throwing a jig that looks just like a crawdad on a lake that gets a lot of pressure, you still might be better off not using rattles to get a few more bites. Also water color is important but it's not any more important that what depth you are fishing in my opinion. The water can be gin clear but if you are fishing 30 foot deep you still won't have a bunch of light at that depth and rattles can help fish locate your bait, jig or crankbait. I think rattles have their place in all baits at times, however there are also times where they can do more harm than good.
Old 11-27-10, 04:06 PM   #16
carolina-rig-01

Quote:

I understand what you are saying, and I believe that at times this way of thinking can be very productive. However there are other factors to consider than just whether you are trying to imitate a baitfish or a crawdad. Fishing pressure can have a lot to do with it for example. If your throwing a jig that looks just like a crawdad on a lake that gets a lot of pressure, you still might be better off not using rattles to get a few more bites. Also water color is important but it's not any more important that what depth you are fishing in my opinion. The water can be gin clear but if you are fishing 30 foot deep you still won't have a bunch of light at that depth and rattles can help fish locate your bait, jig or crankbait. I think rattles have their place in all baits at times, however there are also times where they can do more harm than good.
Old 01-02-11, 09:13 AM   #17
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by james86 View Post
And I would look towards a heavier bulky jig profile.Muddy water doesn't allow the fish to see your presentation.You have to move water as the jig falls through the water colum in order for the fish to know its there.A 1/2 oz. jig is the minimum in weight for muddy water and a bulkier trailer will help you catch more fish.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 04:55 PM   #18
RayC
BassFishin.Com Member

Keitech Model 1 and 2 are the way to go!
RayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 07:06 PM   #19
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayC View Post
Keitech Model 1 and 2 are the way to go!

Can you explain why Keitech model 1 and 2 are the jigs for this situation ?
Old 01-03-11, 07:58 PM   #20
RayC
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
Can you explain why Keitech model 1 and 2 are the jigs for this situation ?
Model 1 is a flipping jig which I use in cover and laydowns, Model 2 is a football jig which I use for rockpiles.
RayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 09:13 PM   #21
pig n jig

Thanks for taking the time to answer.I am not up on Keitech jig models.

Dang it,I didn't answer the brand names I use.I use All terrain grassmaster jigs and Picasso jigs.The picasso gives you a choice of round bend or wide gap hook selection,I use 50 lb braid therefore I choose the roundbend hook and I usually use a 1/2 oz jig 99% of the time.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.