Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-10, 03:47 PM   #1
keysd13
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default What would you pay for this boat

I've been checking this boat out for a while and was wondering what you guys would pay for it. The boat is really clean and has a 175 Merc. on it. Let me know and thanks in advance. Dkeys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2000Champion187new.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	463.0 KB
ID:	4720  
Old 02-12-10, 04:06 PM   #2
egolfer
BassFishin.Com Member

Can you provide some other details about like the length, year of the motor, number of hours, accessories, etc.
Old 02-12-10, 04:13 PM   #3
nmanley

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

Nice but but like all dealers they are way high at $14,950. Maybe 12 - 12,500. I doubt they have more than $10,000 in it.

They need to make money to stay in business but not all of it from ONE sale!!
Old 02-12-10, 04:17 PM   #4
keysd13

Sorry, forgot to list the specs. Here they are from the website

Green, white, with gold trim, hot foot, Lowrance flasher on console, Lowrance fish finder on bow, Motor Guide 67# Tour Edition trolling motor -24 V, triple-bank battery charger, custom cover,
Description:
18'7 length, two new trolling motor batteries - purchased April 2008, always garaged, trailer has swing away tongue, surge brakes, and spare tire
Price: $ 14,950

I was thinking around 12 to 12,5. I would have to have the compression checked as it has not been looked at.
Old 02-12-10, 04:30 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Keysd13, the biggest drawback is going to be the motor. The EFI is a strong motor but it is a gas and oil thirsty motor as well. As long as you know that going in and are ok with that then I really think the price isn't all that bad at $14,950, of course there is no way you should pay full asking price so I would shoot him a low offer and work from there. Champion makes the best riding boat there is period end of story, however they tend to be a wet riding boat until the driver gets a lot of seat time and gets it figured out. I have 3 buddys that have Champions, 1 is a 2004 198 and the other 2 are 2006 210 Elites. These guys will never own anything but a Champion and 2 of the 3 have enough money to buy whatever boat they want, so that should say something I guess.
Old 02-12-10, 04:53 PM   #6
rodnreel

I agree with Crig....that boat is priced fairly well. Champion owners tend to be pretty stubborn about their boats and for good reason. You won't find another boat that rides better. That is one of the reasons I bought my Champion a couple of weeks ago. Also keep in mind that they usually carry very good resale value, if you ever decide to sell in the future. But in the end, a boat is only worth as much as you're willing to pay for it. Offer less than you can afford and work from there.
Old 02-12-10, 04:56 PM   #7
nmanley

The fact it's a Champion is the only reason I went to $12.5.

My first bass boat was a 1982 Glasstream Hydrabass 15V that had the same shape hull as the Champion. It was a darn good riding boat. Fast too!!! Built fairly cheap though so I moved up to a Ranger 372V. Kept that Ranger 10 years with no major problems.

Here's some pics of one like it. Mine was red silver and black.

Old 02-12-10, 05:55 PM   #8
Bassboss

I think 10,000 - 12,000 would be a fair price.

But, I'm no expert.
Old 02-12-10, 06:12 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

Not sure what model it is (188cx, 183cx, 187). But here is a link that can give you an idea of what comparable boats are being priced at.

1. 2008 188cx with a 200 E-Tec for $31,500

2. 2007 183cx with a 150 Optimax for $20,000

3. 2004 187 with a 150 EFI for $13,900

There are more if you follow the link but it looks to me like you found a lot of boat for the money.

http://www.bassboatcentral.com/boats4salechampion.htm
Old 02-12-10, 07:24 PM   #10
keysd13

Thanks guys. Carolina I see you don't live far from me, what are your favorite fishing holes?
Old 02-12-10, 07:40 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysd13 View Post
Thanks guys. Carolina I see you don't live far from me, what are your favorite fishing holes?
Grand and Table Rock mostly. I use to live in Lamar so once in a while I go up there and fish the City Lake. Where do you fish?
Old 02-12-10, 09:04 PM   #12
keysd13

I have fished the lamar lake, Bushwacker lake, and the butler city lake. How long does it take to get to table rock from carthage?
Old 02-12-10, 09:47 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysd13 View Post
I have fished the lamar lake, Bushwacker lake, and the butler city lake. How long does it take to get to table rock from carthage?
It depends on what part of the lake you go to of course but 1:30-2:00. I have fished Bushwacker quite a bit, man is that thing full of small fish.
Old 02-12-10, 11:40 PM   #14
BeaverIslander

Thats a sweet boat!

The price is pretty fair as is, but I would get pre-approved for a loan and offer to take the boat TODAY at 11,500. They'll say the bottom dollar is $13,500. Tell them that you can't go higher than 12,500 and thats already more than you can afford.

I bet they take it. If they don't, walk away and hope for a phone call. There's a lot of boats out there. This one was probably a repo that the dealer paid $6000 for.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 12:06 AM   #15
Basscat7
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslander View Post
Thats a sweet boat!

The price is pretty fair as is, but I would get pre-approved for a loan and offer to take the boat TODAY at 11,500. They'll say the bottom dollar is $13,500. Tell them that you can't go higher than 12,500 and thats already more than you can afford.

I bet they take it. If they don't, walk away and hope for a phone call. There's a lot of boats out there. This one was probably a repo that the dealer paid $6000 for.

Average retail on that 187 Elite Champ with a 200 EFI is $ 11,000.00
Low side retail is around $ 9800.00
Basscat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 12:12 AM   #16
nmanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basscat7 View Post
Average retail on that 187 Elite Champ with a 200 EFI is $ 11,000.00
Low side retail is around $ 9800.00

That sounds more realistic and it is a BUYERS market.
Old 02-13-10, 01:32 PM   #17
BeaverIslander

I couldn't find that boat on the NADA site. It's a 187 Elite, but what year?

I bought a boat last year and I was very picky, and during months of shopping I came to the conclusion that the NADA "Average" is a pretty banged up boat, and the "Low Retail" price is for a junker that wasn't taken care of at all.

From the NADA site, note the last paragraph:

Low Retail Value — A low retail valued boat will show excessive wear and tear either cosmetically and/or mechanically. This boat may or may not be in running order. The buyer can expect to invest in cosmetic and/or mechanical work. Low retail vessels usually are not found on a dealer's lot. Low Retail is not a trade-in value.

Average Retail Value — An average retail valued boat should be in good condition with no visible damage or defects. This boat will show moderate wear and tear and will be in sound running condition. The buyer may need to invest in either minor cosmetic or mechanical work.

Note: Vessels in exceptional condition can be worth a significantly higher value than the Average Retail Price shown.
Old 02-13-10, 01:36 PM   #18
BeaverIslander

I find that many owners of fiberglass bass boats keep their boats in what many would consider "Exceptional Condition," and therefore getting a boat near the Average Retail price would be a very good deal.
Old 02-13-10, 09:06 PM   #19
Basscat7
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslander View Post
I find that many owners of fiberglass bass boats keep their boats in what many would consider "Exceptional Condition," and therefore getting a boat near the Average Retail price would be a very good deal.
Exceptional condition or not, the average retail is what they sell for. I've bought and sold a lot of boats, and when a boat is priced above retail, it will usually sit on the market for a while. Boats priced right, according to condition will generally sell fairly quick.
It is a 50/50 toss up on how most glass bass boats are kept, guys that flip them every couple years usually keep them up to get top retail dollar, a lot that keep them 5 - 7 years eventually , they get worn down a bit and will sell for slightly below retail.

A 10 year old boat is still a ten year old boat, and unless it was not used much, and spent it's life in a garage it is going to show some wear.

Unless it was really maintained to a T and worn pieces were replaced, carpet, seats etc.

It is not hard to make a older boat with wear look good for a while, there are a lot of tricks to make worn gel coat look good for a few weeks, just like in the used car business making some high mileage cars look good.

Hard to find ten year old boats with no wear on them, they do exist, just not a lot of them out there. If you find a good one, check it out carefuly, especially the trailer,the boat spends 75 % of its time on that trailer.

Check the transom carefully , a lot of guys never check their transom motor bolts and they will loosen over time and potentially let water intrude inside the transom.
There should be no play at all when you lower the motor and stand on the cavitation plate, push the motor up and down and look for flexing on the transom.
Any flexing and you might be looking at some $$ repair ..
Basscat7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.