Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-05, 04:05 PM   #1
paramed
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Tube baits: How when and where?

I have heard good things about tube baits but not how, when, and where to fish them. I picked up a pack of "Bitsy tubes" and jig heads and have chances to go out in a boat in Ga's Lake lanier. Any advise would be great.
paramed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-05, 04:39 PM   #2
454ss
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Hey man cant really help you there i havent used any yet that i have bought......but are ya from Ga?
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-05, 04:44 PM   #3
paramed
BassFishin.Com Member

Yup. Gainesville Ga on the north side of lake lanier
Old 09-27-05, 04:49 PM   #4
River stumps
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramed
I have heard good things about tube baits but not how, when, and where to fish them. I picked up a pack of "Bitsy tubes" and jig heads and have chances to go out in a boat in Ga's Lake lanier. Any advise would be great.
http://www.bassresource.com/fish/gitzits.html Try this site. Gitzits are a great bait. I've caught lot's of bass pitching around structure, cover etc.
River stumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-05, 04:51 PM   #5
Dyas
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

I have good luck with them rigged weightless in shallow water. They dont always catch fish but the ones that usualy get on the end of the line are rarely dinks. The best color for me has been Junebug.
Old 09-27-05, 06:13 PM   #6
KH.

i have never caught a fish on a tube,but everyones says there good??? dyas how you fish them wheight less,like a jerkbait??????
Old 09-27-05, 06:51 PM   #7
Dyas

Yeah. That or fish them like a weightless worm. What I do is I just lift my rod and let it sink just like a worm. But sometimes they perfer a presentation more like fishing a jerkbait or deadsticking a tiki. They tear it up when they want it. Its the want it or they dont. But when they do hold on. Your gonna get a lot of hits and some good sized fish along with it.
Old 09-27-05, 06:55 PM   #8
454ss
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Well hey man welcome to the site its good to have another georgian on here i live in glennville its about an hour from savannah.....
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-05, 06:59 PM   #9
Dyas

I went past Gainsville on the way to North Carolina................
Old 09-28-05, 02:18 PM   #10
paramed
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks for all the great info.
Old 09-29-05, 07:33 AM   #11
Mac1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Rigging a tube can be done in a vast number of ways. My favorite is to slip a homemade rattle inside then texposed with a wide gap hook which has been altered. After that, clamp on a fair sized splitshot on the exposed hook shank underneath the mid point of the tube. This is called a bubby rig. Tear off about every third tentacle of the skirt....this gives better action.

Altering the hook......open the hook a little so the point doesn't quite lay against the tube body...it should be up off the body just a little......then mash the barb, but carefully just halfway....still keeping the bump the barb eminates from. Twist the hook sideways to give the hook about a 5 degree side offset.

Make the rattle from a fat drinking straw.......cut it into one inch pieces....place one piece just sticking out of the wire cutters on the flat side of the pliars and melt shut with a candle.....hold to cool a couple seconds...then slip two Glass E Beads from Walmart or Hobby Lobby and seal the other end. Now, using your thumbnail, buckle each end of the rattle....this gives the beads inside a wall to hit and prevents them from getting wedged in the ends of the rattle. You can make a season's worth of rattles in a half hour or so.

The bubby rigged tube, when dragging slowly across the bottom with the exposed splitshot on the bottom will catch and release continuously as it moves........thus, rattling the rattle and rocking the tube as the tail flairs.

From reading another board on fall fishing, drifting slowly and dragging tubes as well as jig n pigs can really pay off in the fall.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.