Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-09, 01:13 AM   #1
bigjim
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default moon phases & weather forecasts

do you guys pay attn to these? referring more towards the moon phases, i try and pay attn. to the weather more than anything else.

i looked at some calender for this year that shows all the moon phases and the best days to fish according to their chart.. its like you only get a total of 5 days a month if your lucky for really good fishing...

doesnt really matter to me, i can be out all day and only get 1 bite and im still happy, as long as im out fishing, i was just curious about this, thats all

i was bored, just searching around the net for different things & found that calender
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 03:35 AM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I like to check it out Jim, but it doesn't effect if I am going or not. Unless it is showing a 5" rain forecast and tropical storm force winds. It just sort of helps guide me to my decisions and how I will be fishing for the day. Or at least give me a starting point for what I will be doing. I always go to intellicast.com and check out the hourly forecast. They show up to 3 days ahead and I check it periodically leading up to a trip for wind direction mainly and what I can expect to be up against. As far as moon phase, I have never got in to it. Unless we are watching for the bream beds or planning on night fishing. The fish are there, you are going to give them what they want or die trying hahaha.
Old 07-25-09, 08:12 AM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

yes, i do. i look at the moon fazes and check for fronts. even though it doesn't help ME worth a dang. helps the wife though. lol. but yes..i do look at the moon (full moon/newmoon), and check the fronts coming through. mainly the barometer changes.
Old 07-25-09, 12:49 PM   #4
Raul

To the moon phase ---> nope, the only good thing I find about night fishing under the full moon is that I can see where my bait lands instead of trying to figure it out.

Weather forecast ---> yes indeed, you donīt wanna be in my home lake in my 12 ft tub when the wind blows hard !
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 10:32 PM   #5
nofearengineer

ROFL...very appropriate question if you read my other thread today. However, I DID check the forecast this morning, and it called for isolated T-storms and a 40% chance of precipitation. There is no way in he77 just the chance of T-storms would stop me from fishing.

As for moon phases, i.e solunar tables, it's a quaint anachronism as far as I'm concerned...kind of like the farmer's almanac. When it predicts things right, people swear by it. Funny how they never bring it up when it predicts wrong heh.

Either way, I figure I'll catch more fish under poor weather/astronomical conditions than sitting on my couch watching fishing shows on ESPN.
Old 07-25-09, 10:35 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've noticed, the moon phases do make a difference, but I fish whenever I get the chance no matter what the moon's up to.

pretty much the same with weather. it has to be raining hard or lightning to keep me from fishing most of the time.

BB
Old 07-29-09, 12:10 AM   #7
MarkB
BassFishin.Com Member

I monitor several weather sites prior to a trip to help decide where to go based on wind direction and amount of rain predicted ( downpours as opposed to drizzle). I use the moonphases to help fine tune a trip. My experience shows fish activity picks up at moon rise and moonset. So if possible I try to time any night trips to coincide with one of those events. I want to be on the honey spot when moon rise(or set) occurs not travelling on the hiway to the lake.
MarkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 08:40 AM   #8
Randy
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't see any reason for me to go by the moon phases or any other signs. I am going fishing every Sunday morning ( if its not raining ) reguardless of what the signs are....hahaha...I don't know about the rest of you guys on this subject.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 09:22 AM   #9
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I don't see any reason for me to go by the moon phases or any other signs. I am going fishing every Sunday morning ( if its not raining ) reguardless of what the signs are....hahaha...I don't know about the rest of you guys on this subject.
That's the way I am, Randy...so it's nice if some astronomical convergence happens when I'm out there, but I'm not planning a trip around it.
Old 07-29-09, 09:26 AM   #10
bonsaibp
BassFishin.Com Member

I only pay attention to the moon during the spawning season. The weather if it's not dangerous dosen't matter
bonsaibp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 10:55 AM   #11
cassidyta

I pay close attention to moon phase but only to refine my baits. I am less likely to throw flukes and other shad immitadors during the day time of a full moon phase.
Old 07-30-09, 10:03 AM   #12
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I can only get out once per week to fish with my work schedule. I check the weather forecast for wind direction so that I can formulate my fishing plans.

The bottom line is I fish when I can, and only bad T storms or a hurricane will stop me from getting out.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.