Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-08, 11:19 PM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default Got myself a carp

I went to Lake Michigan for a couple of hours today and didn't catch anything. All of the sudden I had this whacked out idea to go to the Fox River and catch some bass that weren't even there. I got an approximately 15 pound carp instead. He hit and I thought I had a huge clump of weeds, but I saw my line move to the side a little. I was so excited to have a large fish on, as I hadn't for a long time. We got it on tape, but sure enough, my damn camcorder battery died before I could land it. I just purchased another battery about an hour ago. I had to learn the hard way.

Here is the video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f4Cmt8yBHA

*Sorry about the quality. I'm experimenting with file formats to use on YouTube.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 10:14 AM   #2
3dkicker

"I got an approximately 15 pound carp instead." should have read "I snagged me a 15 pound carp using a butt ugly chartruese 'trap. No wonder I can't catch a bass."

Good job playing the fish. We used to try snagging them at a friends pond but they were in the 40 to 50lb class. Usually ended up pulling scales off. Never caught one.
Old 03-03-08, 06:55 PM   #3
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

I think carp are funner and more of a challenge to catch than bass. I have recently took up chasing them on fly... really fun.

Alot of people think you should kill every one you catch, which really ticks me off. They havent done a thing to bass.

tb
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 05:32 PM   #4
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Carp on a fly? Cool, I don't think I knew that. But let me say, I will never change from bass!!! Things can't change!!!

I do have great opportunities to catch some 35+ pound carp on the shore of lake michigan around July...but I'll be too busy catching bass.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 11:04 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

great job. i have nothing against carp. they are needed in the lake like every other kind of fish. and flies? cool man.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 12:43 PM   #6
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have a pic of my grandfather and one of his fishing buddies from the late 50s posing with flyrods and about 30 carp tide up to a fence. It can be done, although its not common. If I can find the pic and scan it, I'll post it for yall in a few weeks. I like looking at old fishing pictures.

TB, that is one great looking carp, the way you hold it makes it look as prestigious as any trout or salmon.
Old 03-06-08, 06:36 PM   #7
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Thanks WTL... The carp are staging for spawn right now, which means they will school in really, really shallow water for about a month. Im catching these in about 4 inches of water, they're backs are out of the water. I tie my own carp flies, a real simple pattern just to look like some weed bouncing off the bottom. There are some REAL big ones in there, but they are not as eager to hit as the smaller ones. Still fun though, and i would love to see that picture.

tb
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 04:59 PM   #8
3dkicker

They don't "do" anything to bass but they "do" destroy aquatic vegetation in the lake I fish. And of course everyone knows why aquatic vegetation is good for the lake. It's too bad they can't figure out how many it takes per acre to control the vegetation without the damage they do.
I also have a VA citation for the 32" 20lb carp I caught on a Baby 1 on the Potomac river. It was a lot of fun. Pulled the boat around for a while before my partner could lip the fish. I also caught a 32" 20lb blue cat that didn't put up half the fight as the carp did.
Old 03-07-08, 07:04 PM   #9
Bob Smith

That must of been a hoot! Looks like you foul hooked him in the dorsal fin!

Down there in Texas we have a large contingent of dedicated carp anglers. They fish for them European style complete with Carp Tournaments. The favorite target is the common carp, mirror carp and buffalo. They are quick to point out that the White Amur aka Grass Carp is not really a carp. The common carp isn't as destructive as most folks think, but like all species (including bass) they need to be managed, especially if they are to achieve "trophy" proportions. There is actually legislation in work in Texas to create several lakes into Trophy Carp lakes with special limits for carp sizes.

There is a also a bitter battle between the carp anglers and the Bow-fishermen who like to shoot carp, in Texas. There is something to be said for the popularity of the giant common carp since they are attracting competitors from around the globe at some of the events!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.