Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-07, 06:20 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Jig Success..

I have been having great success with jigs the last few outings. Is this just a good time of year for them , or is jiggin always good ? I get bit once the lure hits bottom , I will " shake it " a few times , then rip it off the bottom and start swimming , within a few handle turns I get my fish..I have been using a black 1/2oz jig , with a black paca craw trailer.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-07, 07:32 PM   #2
Mac10

I've read recently that craws are a great fall bait. A lot of the fish are after them.....
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-07, 10:05 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i tend to go heavier in the fall giving a faster fall.. i normally use the paca on a 1/4 oz jig when the water temps hit 45..-which from the way things look will be in 2-3 weeks..

zooker
Old 11-12-07, 10:33 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

yeah i am with zooker, i like a 5/8 oz. or a 3/4 oz. a lot of the time. jigs are a good bait year round. on table rock the heavy jigs are a must to keep the bait on the bottom in that deep clear water. the jig ripping is a great technique though.
Old 11-13-07, 05:32 PM   #5
pig n jig

The jig is a great lure year round.Here in NY , the browns and reddish brown craw color is the best color for fall fishing.I do not know why, it just is.I use a baby paca craw in crawfish color as apposed to using the big paca craw.I also switch from braid to fluorocarbon, usually 16lb test. which means the jig type changes for fluorocarbon.This type of jig fishing, I use a thinner wire wide gap hook design, its easier to penetrate when using fluorocarbon line. I still like the 1/2 oz. weighted jig for this type of fishing.I don't think you can go wrong with using black colored jigs, you can contrast them by using a different colored trailer,which will increase your bites in a wider range of water clarity throughout the year. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 10:59 PM   #6
brushhog

My ignorance is shining through again! Where can i find a good picture of the jig set ups you guys are using? I'm looking but don't know if I'm finding the right things.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-14-07, 05:42 AM   #7
pig n jig

This is the jig I use for fall fishing.They also make it in the regular roundbend, which I prefer to use with braid.The prices have gone out of site on these jigs, I used to buy the 3 pack heads and the Hydrosilk skirts separate and put then together myself.Outkast is another jig I use for fall fishing,
Old 11-14-07, 08:05 AM   #8
brushhog

Thanks PNJ -I've seen them before, but have never tried one.
Old 11-14-07, 08:32 AM   #9
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

"I also switch from braid to fluorocarbon, usually 16lb test"

As PNJ stated above, he use 16lb test flourocarbon on his jig rod. Hey PNJ, do you just put this on a normal size baitcaster? Because I got to thinking, most bc reels only hold like, 150-170 yds of 12lb. So that means you get like 100 yds of 16 pound test. Is that right? Or, do you use a bigger size baitcaster?

-ll
Old 11-14-07, 03:10 PM   #10
leroy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to leroy

You dont really need more than 100 yards of 16lb test.
leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 04:31 PM   #11
lunker-lander

Alright, while we're on the subject of reel size, I have a question. This winter/spring, I am getting a new reel for my finesse rod, and I want to line it with 8-10 pound test. My options are 1500, 2000, or 2500 sizes. What would be good for finesse? BTW, the reels I am looking at are the Diawa Tierra, and the Quantum Boca. $114.95 for the first; $199.95 latter.

Any opinions?

-ll
Old 11-14-07, 05:38 PM   #12
pig n jig

I use a small Daiwa Millionare CVZ103A reel. I doubt there is 80 yards of line on the reel, but it is more than enough line. P N J

Last edited by pig n jig; 11-14-07 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 05:56 PM   #13
lunker-lander

Hmmmm...Never heard of that reel PNJ, is it a good one? Can I still find those today?

-ll
Old 11-14-07, 06:15 PM   #14
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post
Thanks PNJ -I've seen them before, but have never tried one.
What ??????......................... The word never should not ever be in your fishing vocabulary.

A jig should be an important weapon of every basser's arsenal.

I carry extra jigs in the emergency tool kit in the boat and I even carry a jig in the spare key slot of my wallet.

The fear of going fishing without a jig is impossible, I've taken the time to insert a jig package in every plano box I own, for fear that the plano box of jigs will be beamed up from my tackle pack by a UFO, while I am busy fishin'. P N J
Old 11-14-07, 06:30 PM   #15
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
Hmmmm...Never heard of that reel PNJ, is it a good one? Can I still find those today?

-ll
They are discontinued, The new Luna model reels, are basically the same reel, just a different name. Here is a site from the forum who still selling them. I have a CVZ103A, CVX203A,CVZ253A reels.They are a solid performing reel, which most people don't like , because they are round , instead of low profile. P N J

http://www.japantackle.com/Daiwa_ree...onaire_CVZ.htm
Old 11-14-07, 06:57 PM   #16
zooker

i use a pflugher trion lefty reel with my jig . but than again i am a nut case..

zooker
Old 11-14-07, 07:57 PM   #17
pig n jig

Whatever is comfortable for you to use is best, not what someone else thinks is best.My braided reels for jig fishing are the old Team Daiwa TD-1 105 HI reels.These reels were discontinued in 1997, when the TD-S and TD-X reels were designed.The purpose of the new design was for the use of braided lines. The older reels work flawlessly for braided line, even though they weren't intended for braid use back then. The drag systems are definately better in the old reels , if you like tighter drag tension to winch bass out of heavy cover , the older reels have it.Find what works best for you and go fish the daylights out of them. P N J
Old 11-14-07, 09:06 PM   #18
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
The jig is a great lure year round.Here in NY , the browns and reddish brown craw color is the best color for fall fishing.I do not know why, it just is.I use a baby paca craw in crawfish color as apposed to using the big paca craw.I also switch from braid to fluorocarbon, usually 16lb test. which means the jig type changes for fluorocarbon.This type of jig fishing, I use a thinner wire wide gap hook design, its easier to penetrate when using fluorocarbon line. I still like the 1/2 oz. weighted jig for this type of fishing.I don't think you can go wrong with using black colored jigs, you can contrast them by using a different colored trailer,which will increase your bites in a wider range of water clarity throughout the year. P N J
Now I wish I knew where all those old posts were, that you said. "COLOR DOES NOT MATTER" Just kidding of course

Lizards
Old 11-14-07, 10:39 PM   #19
garry_3000
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I think that color depends on your presintation. Lets say an white jig fished without an trailer around shad and bridges. Black and blue around stumps, watermelon around docks, brown in rocks,pumpkinseed in grass. I love to throw jigs I allways have two jigs tied on.
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-07, 06:41 AM   #20
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
Now I wish I knew where all those old posts were, that you said. "COLOR DOES NOT MATTER" Just kidding of course

Lizards
Lizards, If you could dig them up, you would see the same messages being posted,like I was a repeating lunatic. Color does not matter,with the exception of fall fishing. Then I go on and tell everyone that for some reason, brown craw colors work better than any other color scheme. P N J
Old 11-15-07, 06:43 AM   #21
pig n jig

When we get the chance to fish together, I will show you that the profile size and rate of fall is what really catches fish, not color. P N J
Old 11-15-07, 06:40 PM   #22
zooker

you two do know i live 12 hours from each of you right??

zooker
Old 11-15-07, 07:38 PM   #23
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
you two do know i live 12 hours from each of you right??

zooker
We could all meet in the middle. That way we could even go during winter time for PNJ, and he could actually "LEGALLY FISH FOR BASS" LOL.

Yes I bellive you are correct in the fall, and presentation is more important than color "MOST OF THE TIME". However there are those times when color does make a difference. I like green pumkin, because it works everywhere. However since I've been down here in Florida, junebug has been the best trickworm color to use in most everyplace, with the exception of clearer water green/greenpumpkin seems to work better on the trickworms. But gold's are also a color along with browns for jigs I use regularly. Well I guess you're right, color doesn't matter rotflmao.

Lizards
Old 11-17-07, 10:26 AM   #24
pig n jig

Would the reason your favorite colors work so well be that you have more confidence in them and tend to fish them more often ? Probably not. It's the difference of a different batch of plastic pour with the different colored worms.Worms are mass produce poured, from different batches of plastic mix, making each worm from each pour work basically the same, but with a little alteration in fall rate and a little different action than the same worm from another pour batch.That's called thinking way outside the box.

I'd rather drive, or fly all the way to Florida and fish , if I am having to go down south to fish. P N J

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.