Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-06, 01:23 PM   #1
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default help me out with a scent experiment

OK, well on a bunch of forums, I always see the same question: Should I use scents?
Some say yes, some say no. Some suggest one, some suggest another. I figured hey, may as well see what works and what doesn't. Leaern a bit while I do it. So I have been coming up with an experiment to find out what scent (if any) works best, with as little variables as possible. This is what I've come up with:
Rod: St.croix Avid 6'6 medium action spinning
Reel: Depends what I have by then, most likely a Shimano in the 70-100 dollar range
Line: 8 pound cajun redcast
Hook- size 2/0 gamakatu offset
worm- stickbait... color, watermelon candy. No idea which bait I will be using
I will fish my favorite pond, it is 2 acres big. There are 4 spots that I like to fish, and I know hold Fish. I will take pics of each location and highlight spots I cast. I will make 10 casts, in 3 different directions at each spot. Each cast/ retrieve will be a minute long, fishign a wacky rigged deadstick left at the bottom for 50 seconds then retrieved back. That would mean 1/2 an hour per spot, for 4 spots which makes 2 hours. I will be fishing summer mornings, only experimenting on days that have the same or almost the same conditions (water clarity, wind direction, wind speed, temperature).
Every time i switch a lure, a foot of line will be cut, incase some scent got left on the line. Each lure used will have a differentt hook as well.
i will probably use Bill M's wacky rig tool to keep the worms in good condition. Each worm gets its own O-ring.
The big variable will be the scents I will test.
So far on the list (If there is something missing that you would like to see added, let me know. Remember that I am 13... 14 in about 2 weeks, and I have no job. I can't go throwing around cash)
Crossbow's Hawg Sauce Water based
Crossbows Hawg Sauce Oil based (these two will be tested on the same day, as CB says there isn't really much difference. Oil stays on longer, water disperses better)
Hawg Sauce Gel
Kickn' bass- I emailed Ken Kross for some info, And will probably try 2 scents
Smelly Jelly- I could not find a webpage for the actual smelly jelly scent. However I will be trying 2 or 3 of these, depending if I can afford it.
WD 40... some people swear by this. Don't ask me why. I have tons of research to do on the chemical properties of this and why it works.
A mix of my own... I will go to the fish market, buy some stuff grind it together with fish oil and petroleum jelly and see what vile concoction i get
The powerbait scent
Yum's scent
BANG
Megastrike
Carolina Lunker lotion If i can find it at a good price.

The only ones which I can directly contact the makers are Hawg Sauce and Kicknbass as of now, For the rest I will try finding pro staff.
I will make a chart, and list my first impression, stregnth of smell (from 1 to 10), how long it lasts (IMO), cost, how many fish caught at each spot, and the size of the fish. I will also note any species caught besides bass.
I will be reading many articles on sent to see differences in bases, types of scent, what works and why, the smell sense of bass, and the chemical composure (which will be done with the help of my lab teacher at school).
I will be asking random people from forums who I know are good anglers and fish quite a bit a little about their fishign habits and scents. so far I came up with these questions. Please help and see If you can add any other questions. I want to try to get atleast one pro to fill this out.
Your name:
How long have you been fishing?
What type of fish do you fish for?
Where do you fish most?
What is your “go-to” bait for
Spring:
Summer:
Fall:
Winter:
Do you use fishing scents?
Why or why not?
What (if any) is your favorite scent?
Water or oil based?
When did you start using scents?
How were you introduced to the scent?
Then, I want to ask people affiliated to the scent (was that worded right???)
Name:
Product:
Position:
How long have you been fishing?
What made you want to create a fishing scent?
How long have you been making this product?
Have you tried any other scents?
If so, which ones?
Why is your product better than the rest?
What is the base of your product?
It will be different for pro staff If i cannot contact the maker.
As of now, that is what I have. I will be doing insane ammounts of research until summer, then compile it all into one big report of what works, what doesnt, and if it is worth the cost.
There will, of course be links to the site of the scents, mentions of all products used, and thanks given to anybody who participated in any way.
If there is anythign you'd like to add, please let me know. If there is any knowledge to contribute, pm me. Thank you very much.
Old 12-31-06, 03:12 PM   #2
Big Mac
BassFishin.Com Member

This sounds like a crackerjack school project, Crankybait. My responses are simple as I have been helping a rather large group of kids for a few years now to learn to fish and we have went through just about anything and everything connected with fishing in that time, even a pocket fisherman!

The winner hands down for this group is Crossbow's Hawg Sauce, With mega strike a distant second. This group consists of youngsters from 5 to 18 years of age and approximately 26 in number. On the days that I was fishing they would join me on the dock and have access to almost everything in the supplied tackle box (weights, worms, hooks, and SCENTS)

The scent always drained at the end of the day was the Hawg Sauce (water based). The area's fished were from under the dock on hand line jerked up and down violently, to cast out as far as possible and let set on the bottom. Broken whole worms were cut into strips and put on smaller hooks for the younger ones to use on bluegills and perch. Every bait was soaked in some kind of scent and I did not try to influence them ( I did have to leave the tackle box outside some days as the spilt combination of scents were not welcome in the house, not even the garage). I wanted to get rid of the used portions of the bottle/tubes as soon as possible.

Name: Forrest
Years fishing: 50+
Primary species: Bass
Go To Baits
Winter: Creature jigs, Tube jigs, Lipless crankbaits All large sizes

Spring: Spinnerbaits, Lipless crankbait, soft plastics

Summer: Soft plastics, Crankbaits, Carolina rigs

Fall: Jigs, soft plastics, Crankbaits, Lipless crankbaits, Spinners

I use scents all the time now, I have been using them for about 8 years now. I use CB's Hawg sauce all the time because it works for me, and it works for my kids. Other scents do not come close (their opinion by trial and error, Mine too because I have seen them (different kids at different times)try all of them out and then end up staying with the Hawg Sauce).

.....mac
Big Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-06, 05:11 PM   #3
flbassman

Your name: Nick
How long have you been fishing? 15 years. Bass fishing seriously for 3.
What type of fish do you fish for? Bass
Where do you fish most? The St. Johns river and small ponds.
Spring: 6.5 inch zoom lizard. Weightless or t-rigged.
Summer: Wacky rigged tiki sticks.
Fall: Spinnerbaits.
Winter: Jerkbaits and crankbaits.
Do you use fishing scents? Some
Why or why not? Enhancement
What (if any) is your favorite scent? Haven't figured one out yet
Water or oil based? Oil
When did you start using scents? Immediately
How were you introduced to the scent? Walmart

Heck of an experiment. Interested to see what you find....
Old 12-31-06, 05:24 PM   #4
pig n jig

These ar where I buy my Smelly Jelly at. Look at the other scents at the site and you will see a wide range of scents on the market today. P N Jhttp://www.landbigfish.com/tacklesto...se.cfm?PID=219 & http://www.nbswebstore.com/cgi-bin/w...LY%20-%20PASTE
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-06, 05:32 PM   #5
pig n jig

http://www.nbswebstore.com/cgi-bin/w...d=1801147_2312

http://www.landbigfish.com/tacklestore/bassscents.cfm
Old 12-31-06, 05:57 PM   #6
crankybait

nice nice. thanks for filling those out, I will stick em in my file.
PnJ- do you use any specific type of smelly jelly?
Old 12-31-06, 06:15 PM   #7
pig n jig

Doc, I use Bass Feast, Bass Hammer, and Crawdaddy. P N J

Name: Ivan
How long have you been fishing?15+ years
What type of fish do you fish for? Bass, walleye, perch, bullhead, trout, pickerel, musky, salmon.
Where do you fish most? lakes
Spring: rattle trap
Summer: jigs
Fall: jerkbaits
Winter: spider grubs, grubs, tubes.
Do you use fishing scents? always
Why or why not? confident that they help
What (if any) is your favorite scent? Smelly Jelly
Water or oil based? Paste
When did you start using scents? about 8 years ago
How were you introduced to the scent? can't remember how, don't get old. P N J

Last edited by pig n jig; 12-31-06 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-31-06, 07:16 PM   #8
Christopherkeene9

WD-40 is fish oil based, thats why it works!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-06, 07:53 PM   #9
crankybait

Righto, Thanks pnj, I will make sure to try Bassfeast for sure and possibly one of the others. I'll check the ingredients because if it is a paste, chances are it is oil based.
Chris- That is incorrect. WD 40 is not fish oil based, and is pollutant. My friend over at fishinfanatics contacted the company itself and talked to them about use of WD 40 as a scent, apparently it is harmful and not fish oil based.
Old 01-05-07, 06:44 AM   #10
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait View Post
Righto, Thanks pnj, I will make sure to try Bassfeast for sure and possibly one of the others. I'll check the ingredients because if it is a paste, chances are it is oil based.
Chris- That is incorrect. WD 40 is not fish oil based, and is pollutant. My friend over at fishinfanatics contacted the company itself and talked to them about use of WD 40 as a scent, apparently it is harmful and not fish oil based.
that's what i've been saying for years but some people just won't listen.
Old 01-05-07, 04:56 PM   #11
crankybait

what that WD 40 isnt fish oil based? ok, make this clear. WD 40 HAS NO FISH OIL BASE AND WAS NOT MEANT TO BE USED FOR FISHING. INFACT IT IS BAD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT.
Old 01-05-07, 05:18 PM   #12
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well cranky, I 've been around long enough to remember when WD40 for carried by all, and back then the tv shows would all show using it, recommend it, and WD40 was even a sponsor for several shows.
Agree with ya on one fact, any oil lub in todays fishing waters isn't going to help the environment, and if you ever use it on you're line, you see a oil slick with the colors of the rainbow on the water. On the other hand, any of the old spray on lubs for plastics did the exact same thing to the water, a oil slick where you thew in, that will dissipate.
I think the thing to consider is the water to oil displacement of WD40, in other words does that one little spray effect the environment to cause concern, when you have the same pollution going on from the many forms of pleasure boats..its all about how they can balance the waters (for example zebra muscles) to the amount of actual pollution in the waters.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 07:10 PM   #13
crankybait

True, Very true. However, while it may not be very harmful, there is better stuff out there to use. I will be researching why WD 40 even works in the first place... I mean, hey, if you can avoid doing any damage at all, may as well.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.